Poaching: Is this cool?

rjs2442

Good morning everyone, just throwing this out there as I wanted to get the opinion of the community. In today's MMA Tycoon, is poaching still frowned upon as a dirtbag move or have times changed making it less unclassy and more tolerated then it was in the past? Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I havent played this game for that long but i have played another game for a long time and poachers are scumbags in my books anyways so to answer the question its a very unclassy move

What is your opinion of poaching? Are we talking about orgs, alliances or what? If we are talking about orgs, in my opinion, if someone is not under contract (in other words he is a FA) it is allowed for everyone else to make an offer, even if technically he is in the process of moving to another org (for a merger or super fight). In this case the fighter is "expected" to fulfill any obligations he has and actually move to the designated location, however since he is technically a FA, he can listen to offers. Personally i see this as a gameplay flaw which needs to be dealt with, which is why i started this topic:

http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41455

Stealing org members or alliance members still on contract is in my opinion totally unacceptable though, HOWEVER, there are cases where the org or alliance is clearly inactive for weeks or months. I guess some exceptions can be made there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Most of the dudes waiting to move orgs for a super fight are usually good about it and will decline offers they get from other orgs. At least in my experience, that's what I've seen. I remember sending out contracts to unsigned fighters that were moving for super fights but how are you supposed to know unless they tell you? This almost runs along the same lines as guys that sign a big contract and immediately release them without even taking a fight. I guess it all comes down to the individual and whether or not they fulfill their obligations to the org they're originally signed to. If they move orgs while under contract for a super fight, definitely dirtbaginess for sure.

I'm not sure if its considered "poaching" but I've received many private messages from org owners asking about my plans for a fighter. If that's poaching, it happens pretty often and I don't really feel it's that big a deal. With the way things are trending towards massive super-orgs and super fights, do contracts even mean what they used to? I have fighters going between orgs all the time, so which one do these fighters truly fight for? The lines are blurred.

• Upvote 2

Yes to clarify when I say "Poaching" I mean in terms of Fighter A is under contract to Org A but then Org B contacts that fighters manager and makes a monitary offer for when his guy is free. There for when Fighter A receives a reneg offer from his current Org it is denied stating "Org B" has offered more money

I like the idea or orgs trying to poach fighters from each other - it's creates bad blood, allows for better rivalries, fuck it, I say bring it on.. It happens in the real world in just about every industry you could work in.

This is where I wondered if some managers thoughts were heading. I agree it adds an angle of rivalry to the game but at the same time being more of an old school manager I believe it should receive more negative attention then positive.

I'm not sure if its considered "poaching" but I've received many private messages from org owners asking about my plans for a fighter. If that's poaching, it happens pretty often and I don't really feel it's that big a deal. With the way things are trending towards massive super-orgs and super fights, do contracts even mean what they used to? I have fighters going between orgs all the time, so which one do these fighters truly fight for? The lines are blurred.

Yes that definately is a different circumstance and if a fighter is moving around from Org to Org then I believe it should be viewed less as a poaching scenario. But when a fighter has only fought recently for one Org and is approached and offered a large sum of money to jump ship that is totally different

Poaching is cool in my book. It would never work against me, since I'm a loyal kind of guy and Tycoon Money doesn't really mean all that much, but if people want to do it, they should be allowed to and other people are allowed to frown upon it.

But some kind of contract clause to combat it, would be pretty cool. Options for extending a current contract, first rights to renegotiation, match offer clause. (so an org can keep a fighter if they matches the offer given by another org, loaning/buying/selling of contracts. Those kind of things would be cool to have available..

• Upvote 1

I like the idea or orgs trying to poach fighters from each other - it's creates bad blood, allows for better rivalries, fuck it, I say bring it on.. It happens in the real world in just about every industry you could work in.

It hurts to say it, but I agree with Stu. Too many orgs are friendly with one another. We need an old-school rivalry again. Yankees poaching Red Sox players, Man U poaching from Man City or Arsenal.

Pretty much my opinion. I've never done it, but if someone approached one of my fighters during their current contract and offered them a better deal then so be it.

It hurts to say it, but I agree with Stu. Too many orgs are friendly with one another. We need an old-school rivalry again. Yankees poaching Red Sox players, Man U poaching from Man City or Arsenal.

it is fucking Man shitty who poaches not Utd.

• Upvote 1

I don't do that because it is too much effort, but I don't see the problem. Tell the fighter you're interested in him and that you want him to fight for you, where's the issue?

Fighters are under no obligation to re-sign with their current org and plenty of managers are happy to spend a week on the market to see what offers come in. At no stage are you poaching because the fighter can't go anywhere until his contract obligations are met anyway. After that, he's a free man to do as he will.

• Upvote 1

I think the rivalry between sfc in L.A my better org :owned: in st peterburg is a example of this .It even spilled over to the smacktalk threads lol :mf_popcorn1: .It all in good fun .

• Upvote 1

Yes to clarify when I say "Poaching" I mean in terms of Fighter A is under contract to Org A but then Org B contacts that fighters manager and makes a monitary offer for when his guy is free. There for when Fighter A receives a reneg offer from his current Org it is denied stating "Org B" has offered more money

Yeah, that is pretty much poaching. Personally i do not like that idea, however i do agree to Stu to an extent. Most of the bad blood among orgs is directly related to cases when one fighter moved (for whatever reason) to another org. Either be it for just one fight (which was not approved by its parent org) or on a long term deal. Is that a good thing? Well for fighters long term it is probably not because you end up with clear rifts between orgs, which means less chance for the big fights. Is it good for the forums? Probably yes, because you have more things to talk about due to the tensions between those orgs.

Personally i think poaching tactics is not a good thing overall, but i guess sometimes things like this help spice things up. A lot of managers in game actually follow a particular tactic of milking smaller orgs hype and then not resigning when their deals expire. You could say that this is a form of manipulation as well.

• Downvote 1

I get messages about my fighters under contract quite often and tbh I usually just ignore them. I'm not sure if I am for or against poaching, I guess I don't really care that much because usually if I want to fight in your org I will. Typically money isn't that big of a draw for me, I just try to fight in the most competitive divisions and I'm fine leaving an org after my contract is up to go to another if that's where the competition is. I try to help friends build up orgs as well like Louie and Syn but even then it's w/ the expectation of them bringing in talent or being fine sending me on super-fights.

I really wish that all the top orgs would work together to be honest. I think what Ascension and Evolution managed to do w/ their tournament against each other was quite fun as far as getting great fights to find out who really is the best fighters in the world. Both guys were very selfless letting top guys go & not fighting to get the best fights for their individual org. I think other org owners should learn something from this because that kinda cooperation going on amongst the top 10 orgs on a constant basis would really open up the possibility of having tons & tons of opponents to fight.

• Upvote 3