Mousasi vs. Babalu

MeleeG

I can see it now

and here comes a dark horse, and he wants Anderson's title, this guy has no chance, he's going to get "Forrested"!

OMG, Silva is out cold, the Spider has been slain

mousasi has said in tha past that he wanted to win a major title at mw, which he did with the dream gp, then one at lhw but i doubt he will count the strikeforce belt as a major title, then move up to heavyweight. he wont fight fedor, so he pretty much only has the ufc as an option. i think he will go to the ufc as a lhw and twat machida

but in all honesty, does he make the top ten P4P? I'd say maybe #10, but does he need to keep moving up? NO, did you see his beer belly?

You see Fedors? Or Aleks... yo it runs at Red Devil. That's prolly their secret ingredient. They put on a show like their training on a concrete court in the woods and shit but as soon as the camera is off they go into that log cabin and start drinking heavily.

Seriously though, all jokes aside, I think everybody knew what was gonna happen to Babs. I wouldn't give him as much credit as everybody else is for that win, he's very good but Babalu aint top 15, and maybe he makes the top 20.

Gegard though, I think you can say he's between top 5. Are we counting Silva as a LHW?

Machida

Rampage

A Silva

Shogun (maybe? wouldn't consider him here now, but if he beats Machida obviously he's a top 5 guy)

Gegard

Evans

...and oh where oh where has griffin gone lol

I just wish they would start feeding Mark hunt some scrubs to make his record look better. You look at Mark Hunts record and he's got like more losses than wins haha but it's just cuz he faces top competition. Losing to the little guy though, c'mon Mark... atomic butt drop! atomic butt drop damnit

You see Fedors? Or Aleks... yo it runs at Red Devil. That's prolly their secret ingredient. They put on a show like their training on a concrete court in the woods and shit but as soon as the camera is off they go into that log cabin and start drinking heavily.

Seriously though, all jokes aside, I think everybody knew what was gonna happen to Babs. I wouldn't give him as much credit as everybody else is for that win, he's very good but Babalu aint top 15, and maybe he makes the top 20.

Gegard though, I think you can say he's between top 5. Are we counting Silva as a LHW?

Machida

Rampage

A Silva

Shogun (maybe? wouldn't consider him here now, but if he beats Machida obviously he's a top 5 guy)

Gegard

Evans

...and oh where oh where has griffin gone lol

I just wish they would start feeding Mark hunt some scrubs to make his record look better. You look at Mark Hunts record and he's got like more losses than wins haha but it's just cuz he faces top competition. Losing to the little guy though, c'mon Mark... atomic butt drop! atomic butt drop damnit

I like the fact that Mousasi will fight pretty much anyone no matter the weight difference...

Did Mousasi actually say that he wouldn't fight Fedor? Because I remember an interview in which he said that Fedor was what he wanted in the long run.

Mousasi will get there. Imagine a K-1 level striker with a more than decent groundgame. He isn't as good as Mirko on the feet, but he is a much better allround fighter. He's a better striker than Machida and has a better transition game than Anderson. He never has to ask himself whether he should punch, improve position or try a submission. It all comes very natural to him. He reminds me a bit of BJ. Ok, maybe a lesser groundgame, but still a better striker.

He isn't as good as Mirko on the feet, but he is a much better allround fighter.

I can get behind this.

He's a better striker than Machida

Hmmm, this I disagree with.

and has a better transition game than Anderson.

What?

He never has to ask himself whether he should punch, improve position or try a submission. It all comes very natural to him. He reminds me a bit of BJ. Ok, maybe a lesser groundgame, but still a better striker.

His instincts and fight IQ are top notch, that's for sure. I think the hardest thing to figure out about Mousasi is how to rank him. Not even counting the fact that he's now all over the place in weight, I just don't really think anyone knows how good he really is.

Hmmm, this I disagree with.

Mousasi is a K-1 level striker. Machida is not. He's not as good a striker.

What?

You really have to look for Andersons transition game. Either he is dominating on the ground, or he gets a submission. You won't see many fights where he opens a dominant position from one into the next.

Just because he is a K-1 striker doesn't mean he's a better striker then Machida. I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'll be the first to quickly point out Rampage Jackson vs Cyril Abidi

Machida is great against lesser strikers. Mousasi is also good against good strikers. If they face lesser opponents Machida might look better than Mousasi. If they face top level strikers Machida wouldn't be as good. I know K-1 is something different, but just imagine a fighter with good defense pressuring him into a corner.

Fighting against lesser opponents is also always difficult. They react differently to fakes, pressure and punching combinations. If you think you might fool him with a nice combination it might not have any effect while a simple punch would have done the job. In contrary, often they don't react but counter supprisingly in the middle of it. Yes, Rampage did well against a mediocre K-1 fighter. He won, twice. But if he faced the same competition as Cyril I seriously doubt his record would look as good as Cyrils. Same for Overeem btw, who did great in both his fights against the 2 best of K-1.

I don't think Mousasi is as good as Musashi either, but he also won for the same reason. I might be wrong though, underestimating all MMA fighters.

whoever said babalu wasn't top 15 is crazy.

it's hard to compare mousasi and lyoto as far as striking goes. i would say lyoto would get the better between them if they fought, just because his style is hard to deal with. just because lyoto hasn't fought in k-1 really doesnt mean anything...all it means is that he hasn't fought in k-1, heh. who can say lyoto couldnt do what mousasi did to mushashi? we really have no idea what would happen.

anyway...back to the original topic. i was surprised to see mousasi handle babalu the way he did. i thought mousasi would win, but i didnt think he'd win so easily. he took babalu down and babalu is a pretty damn good wrestler. he was also able to maintain side control on a guy who has a good ground game. the fact that he blasted babalu isnt the only impressive thing...it's the things he did leading up to the point that were also impressive. i also cant remember if i've ever seen babalu go completely limp like that in a fight. we know chuck finished him twice with punches, but i dont think he was ever completely outcold in either of those fights.

whoever said babalu wasn't top 15 is crazy.

it's hard to compare mousasi and lyoto as far as striking goes. i would say lyoto would get the better between them if they fought, just because his style is hard to deal with. just because lyoto hasn't fought in k-1 really doesnt mean anything...all it means is that he hasn't fought in k-1, heh. who can say lyoto couldnt do what mousasi did to mushashi? we really have no idea what would happen.

anyway...back to the original topic. i was surprised to see mousasi handle babalu the way he did. i thought mousasi would win, but i didnt think he'd win so easily. he took babalu down and babalu is a pretty damn good wrestler. he was also able to maintain side control on a guy who has a good ground game. the fact that he blasted babalu isnt the only impressive thing...it's the things he did leading up to the point that were also impressive. i also cant remember if i've ever seen babalu go completely limp like that in a fight. we know chuck finished him twice with punches, but i dont think he was ever completely outcold in either of those fights.

Okay since I'm crazy name the top 15 LHW's in MMA. Make sure you name all 15. Have fun with that list honestly putting Babs on there.

i wont name all 15 but i feel comfortable in saying that babalu was right outisde the top 10 at the time.

i'll post bloody elbows consensus rankings from july 30th just for fun though.

1. Lyoto Machida

2. Quinton Jackson

3. Rashad Evans

4. Forrest Griffin

5. Mauricio Rua

6. Keith Jardine

7. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

8. Luiz Cane

9. Rich Franklin

10. Renato Sobral

11. Thiago Silva

12. Chuck Liddell

13. Dan Henderson

14. Wanderlei Silva

15. Jon Jones

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/rankings

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/3/She...-Rankings-19059

sherdog also had him in the mix.

Babalu was top 15. I like Babalu but knew he would lose. He dont like to fight strikers and has made a bad habit of engaging with his head down. His dont take punches well.

But you have to rank the guy based on what he has done.

If i was going to make a ranking before this weekend. It would look like this.

1.Machida

2.Evans

3.Jackson

4.Silva

5.Forrest

6.Shogun

7.Luis Cane

8.Tito Ortiz

9.Jon Jones

10.Arona

11.Franklin

12.Liddell

13.Babalu

14.Lil Nog

15.Jardine

Everyone from 5th down is just a toss up. You could even argue anyone of them are not top 15. There are tons of top guys i didnt even list who are not far from being on the list IMO.

Matyushenko, Thiago Silva, Wanderlei Silva, Hendo, and now Mousasi

With that said there are a few guys you can argue they shouldnt have been higher than Babalu. I give Tito credit for who he lost to., But if you count the fact he hasnt beaten anyone in years. He may not make the list. Arona is inactive. Shogun got a win over has beens. Jones hasnt beat anyone. Babalu has been consistantly at a high level as anyone.

Babalu looked shitty in that fight though. I don't think he was well prepared, but even being unprepared doesn't mean you will get beaten that badly. Mousasi destroyed him and Babalu at his best would have lasted maybe another 3 minutes. Also regarding that smile being "Fedorism"... Fedor doesn't smile in the cage until after the fight. Mousasi seems happy-go-lucky in the cage while Fedor looks like an unstopable robot.

I never realized Jason Lambert, David Heath, Rodney Glunder, Mike Whitehead, Bob Southworth, were top competition? His victory over the african assassin I'm not surprised with, but I give him props for not getting KO'd. Then when he faces another slightly decent striker (Gegard is actually a really good striker) he goes down, again.

Like I said, guy was definitely NOT top 10, and he'd be lucky to make top 15. Hey, I prolly woulda added him between 11-15. He's a legitamte victory for any top fighter, because it looks a lot better then beating some guy nobody knows.

And sherdog list sucks. Let's not bring in other sites list cuz I was looking for your opinion not sherdogs lol they got fuckin tito in the top 10 that list is a joke. So if that's what you wanted to tell me, were the top 10 205 lb'ers in the world. I'd laugh at you. Well, I was kinda laughin at you when you posted the list from sherdog. Prolly where you get most of your info ;)

I'm just "pokin" fun at you. Nothin personal.

I reread it... what you wrote. Bout Jon Jones not beatin anyone or anything so I'm not sure if you were agreeing with sherdogs list or not, or you disagreed with the bottom 10 of that list and were saying you would move babs up. Either way, I disagree with the list.