Ben Askren rant about the UFC cut off by Inside MMA host Kenny Rice

kenlow73

The response by the host was bad, but at the same time Ben Askren is just doing this stuff for attention. Dana White doesn't "bandwagon" like he's saying. Dana White said Askren was boring, following 6 straight decision wins. Now Dana White says they are open to bringing in Ben, who has 4 straight stoppage wins. That's not flip flopping, that's saying your opinion straight.

• Upvote 1

Eh, he may have been over time and ranting like Bas said, but the hosts knew exactly what they were doing baiting him with those questions. Whole thing is just unprofessional on both sides.

I also disagree on having to fight in the UFC to have a solid career. People want many different things out of careers, and for some it's as simple as being able to provide for yourself and your family - which apparently OneFC does for Ben. People also want careers that align with their values, and obviously the UFC doesn't align with Ben's own personal values, so that's fair enough. End of story.

It's probably a bit on the unusual side, but I don't think it'd be impossible for a fighter to not bother too much about proving themselves to be the best in the world or other more petty dick measuring contests. Think about all the gatekeepers in the UFC, or the guys who are one 1-2 fight contracts when the production swings into their home town/country. They're still fighting even though they'll probably never get a title shot. Money and doing something you like doing (fighting/training) is enough for some.

I feel like most of the allure of getting into the UFC for these guys IS the potential payday or exposure. What gets an unknown prospect sponsors? Airtime on the biggest organisation. If you can actually financially support yourself with another organisation that better fits your values, then why the hell not do what Askren is doing?

• Upvote 1

Oh give me a break... Askren had every ability to say I'm done talking about the UFC let's talk about fighting instead it was blah blah blah Dana sucks, UFC sucks, blah blah blah. It's not Bas's fault, it's not Kenny's fault... this is not the first time Askren has gone all apeshit about Dana. He needs to just drop it and either fight somewhere else or move on... Dana ain't gonna change, UFC ain't gonna change but he can.

• Downvote 1

Bas' version WAS put together correctly, but I still felt the host seemed like he was awful. Why did he keep asking about UFC if they didn't want to keep the conversation about UFC?

That's exactly my gripe. Keep on asking him questions about the UFC, and are surprised when he talks negatively about the UFC and says what he's been saying for a while.

Could Askren have stopped himself? Yes. But was he baited into it and then handled poorly? Certainly. Both sides are just unprofessional.

• Upvote 1

Bas' version WAS put together correctly, but I still felt the host seemed like he was awful. Why did he keep asking about UFC if they didn't want to keep the conversation about UFC?

He did want to keep the conversation about the UFC, but he wanted to move on from Askren's bashing. The host would ask Ben if he would ever fight in the UFC and Askren would say i dont know, dana white is a hyprocrite and blah blah blah. The host says ok you hate the ufc we get that, but would you ever fight there? Askren replies with dana white sucks, etc. Finally they were over the time slot and the host cut him off.

Don't get me wrong I am no defender of the host. He could of said "sorry ben we are out of time..." instead of saying its time to cutoff this soap box, but he did say afterwords that ben is always an interesting interview.

I think Bas's version is much closer to the truth than Bens.

• Upvote 1

Naw, just tired of Assburger's blah blah UFC sucks blah blah blah Fuck Dana blah blah blah statements. It gets old... fact that he goes on these stupid rants with different interviewers speaks volumes he is in the closet with his love of the UFC.

We all know that Askren will get destroyed if he ever faces a COMPLETE fighter, such as GSP, Hendricks, Lawler, Condit, or even Woodley, he's been crushing cans in his last fights. I mean we all know the guy is a phenomenal wrestler, and they put some unknown strikers in front of him, what did you expect? Ridiculous matchmaking...

So UFC needs to contract him to get his mouth shut for good.

We all know that Askren will get destroyed if he ever faces a COMPLETE fighter, such as GSP, Hendricks, Lawler, Condit, or even Woodley, he's been crushing cans in his last fights. I mean we all know the guy is a phenomenal wrestler, and they put some unknown strikers in front of him, what did you expect? Ridiculous matchmaking...

So UFC needs to contract him to get his mouth shut for good.

Exactly. I mean who has he beat..........Jay Hieron..........Douglas Lima.............those are middle of the road guys in UFC and that may even be too much credit.