Cruz on the undercard?

wolfinfire

He was only on the prelims because he hadn't fought in over a thousand days.

The above pretty much covered it, last you need would be to put him on the main card after the injuries and have him hurt himself again, that'd just make the PPV look bad. I'm sure he'll have a PPV fight next, and with the ass kicking he dished out tonight he might help draw a few extra buys from the more casual fans.

I saw that someone made a good point in that more people probably watch the prelims, so this was them introducing him to the larger audience.

I find it hard to think what to replace it with

If you say Cruz gets a title shot now, as does Zingano. The only one you can really look at I think is Romero/Kennedy, but Kennedy main evented in his last fight, Too stacked lol

Cruz looked good against a lower level opponent than a top contender. However I think the long layoff caused his body to change. He's noticeably smaller and I think he's too old to get in the shape he was in before.

Not to mention his Alpha Fail joke was weak and lacked confidence. He's 'back' but will never be champ again.

When was Dominick Cruz every anything more than corny and boring when he spoke?

Mizugaki is a lot more than a "lower level opponent". He was on a 5 fight winning streak coming into this fight, beating decent contenders in Erik Perez and Bryan Caraway. He wasn't chasing a title shot but he earned the fight with Cruz so it was a legitimate fight at that level. Cruz looked just as good as ever imo, although maybe had a slightly open defence. I'm REALLY looking forward to the TJ fight. Cruz is a good guy, but I probably won't care about the division if he wins. Dillashaw stopped two guys in the 5th round, so he's an exciting fighter and keeps me tuned in.

I think he's too old to get in the shape he was in before.

Yep, way too old at 29. TJ better keep his head on straight because he's only got a year before he passes his prime too. Is it even legal for Raphael Assuncao to fight he's 32 after all? Urijah Faber is practically a ghost in the sport at 35, I'm surprised he's not breaking bones during his entrance.

Yep, too old. :youwish:

He's back bud, and he's still young enough to have a damn good run at that title given his leg doesn't implode.

No prob with it as it is UFC's new policy to install neat prelim main events, same with Faber vs Caceres for example. It's suits my MMA viewing habits well, i really dig it. Good for me, good for FOX, good for people who can't afford the PPVs. If it's financially backed by Zuffa and the guys do not lose benefits, great.

Sloppy WMMA fights on main cards, those really bother me (don't get me wrong, i'm a supporter of WMMA, watched all Invicta events [and paid for 1 haha, i'm an asshole]... but let's be realistic).

When was Dominick Cruz every anything more than corny and boring when he spoke?

Mizugaki is a lot more than a "lower level opponent". He was on a 5 fight winning streak coming into this fight, beating decent contenders in Erik Perez and Bryan Caraway. He wasn't chasing a title shot but he earned the fight with Cruz so it was a legitimate fight at that level. Cruz looked just as good as ever imo, although maybe had a slightly open defence. I'm REALLY looking forward to the TJ fight. Cruz is a good guy, but I probably won't care about the division if he wins. Dillashaw stopped two guys in the 5th round, so he's an exciting fighter and keeps me tuned in.

Mizugaki is good but over ranked at fight time. Top tier FW destroys Cruz all day.

Aldo

Mendes

Swanson

Edgar

McGregor even would probably handle him.

Out is the top 5 I'd say 4 are definite murderers vs Cruz.

I'm in my phone and can't post pics but check his physique now vs a few years ago. He's older and lost some muscle rebuilding capability due to his injury. Not too old to fight,

Just past his prime now because is the injury.

No prob with it as it is UFC's new policy to install neat prelim main events, same with Faber vs Caceres for example. It's suits my MMA viewing habits well, i really dig it. Good for me, good for FOX, good for people who can't afford the PPVs. If it's financially backed by Zuffa and the guys do not lose benefits, great.

Sloppy WMMA fights on main cards, those really bother me (don't get me wrong, i'm a supporter of WMMA, watched all Invicta events [and paid for 1 haha, i'm an asshole]... but let's be realistic).

Yeah WMMA annoys me a lot too. Really I only actually am interested in watching Ronda Rousey, Cat Zingano, Julianna Pena, Cris Cyborg, Joanne Calderwood, Joanna Jedrzejeczk and Karate Hottie (and MAYBE Roxy Modaferri)

Mizugaki is good but over ranked at fight time. Top tier FW destroys Cruz all day.

Aldo

Mendes

Swanson

Edgar

McGregor even would probably handle him.

Out is the top 5 I'd say 4 are definite murderers vs Cruz.

I'm in my phone and can't post pics but check his physique now vs a few years ago. He's older and lost some muscle rebuilding capability due to his injury. Not too old to fight,

Just past his prime now because is the injury.

Maybe they all do...considering Cruz is BW?

I hate the overrating of Conor McGregor. I'm a HUGE fan and even tried to interview him for a website after his last Cage Warriors fight for another site. I had his name in my "best fighters" section of my sig before he even got signed, so I'm a massive fan, but let's get real. He might well beat the people that people say he can, but you can't PREDICT that Conor is better than the likes of Dominick Cruz and Jose Aldo. He's had one big, all be it crazy impressive, fight in his life.

It's not actually the UFC's call, the rankings are a voting system made up by media members. I am surprised he move so high myself, I thought he would have moved into the number 4 spot with it, maybe number 3.

I mean it is the media we're talking about. 75% of them have no clue what that are talking about when it comes to MMA.

I know what you mean, it's Mizugaki, he's not bad but his biggest win on his 5 fight streak is the current #10 by split decision and #11 with a unanimous decision - that win shouldn't place him higher then Faber or Assuncao yet.

I mean he gets by Faber due to his record against him, so i'm more ok with that. Assuncao just can't catch a break. He has been looked over so many times it's crazy. I would have rather seen Dillashaw vs Assuncao over Barao after the beat down Dillashaw put on Barao in the first fight.

^100% agree. Assuncao not only beat Dillashaw on his current win streak, but the absolute destruction of Renan Barao didnt warrant a rematch. Barao might have been P4P ranked or whatever, but he didn't beat the champion for the title and only had 3 title defences. He's not like Jon Jones, Anderson Silva or GSP with his domination of his sector or anything. If any of those 3 were to have lost (GSP having retired before losing to Hendricks imo and Anderson actually having lost) I'd completely be okay with a rematch no matter what goes down. But if the champ isn't dominant with the title, and even more so just gets battered for 5 rounds straight before actually being stopped by strikes, that's not a rematch.

Unluckily for Assuncao, there is not a person on this planet unconnected to him that wants to see him take on TJ over Cruz. It's Cruz's shot, simple as that. Assuncao will have to prove himself yet again, and hopefully he faces Dillashaw for the title.