AMS FC Light Heavyweight Tournament

HarryB

We will be doing a 16-fighter double-elimination tournament at AMS FC for 205lb. fighters. AMS FC is 200K restricted org, so entries should be relatively experienced fighters with an id between 200K and 225K. Bracket will be drawn at random. No refusing fights once entered, if you are concerned about tough opponents, don't enter.

Prizes:
Winner: 200K into managers account and title shot for fighter. PLUS another 100K courtesy of Bjorn O'Donnel.
Runner-up: 100K into managers account
Second-chance bracket winner: 50K into managers account and title shot for fighter.

Combatants (in no particular order, bracket will be drawn at random):
1. Eugeny Gorkovenko (224571)
2. Frank Slayer (229836)
3. Shogan Aye (205137)
4. Georgy Fokin (206096)
5. Happy Forclit (220796)
6. Ivar Lodbrok (229350)
7. Dudley Bradshaw (200016)
8. Nisse Indian (209631)
9. Ricardo Santana (207308)
10. Magestico Garuntasticos (230573)
11. Veron Totto (207514)
12. Mario Penzer (221623)
13. Matt Greiner (212901)
14. Artie DeVanzo (225188)
15. Iso Kaato (201637)
16. Parmalee Sackett (206332)

Tournament Bracket:
http://i60.tinypic.com/35030h5.jpg

Loser Bracket:
http://i60.tinypic.com/16l00v5.jpg

Edited by Lildave8
  • Upvote 1

I have half the field confirmed, I think I will get about 4 more fighters from within AMS FC to sign on. So I have about 4 spots remaining that I am opening up to everyone. If you have a fighter you want entered, post his name and ID number here and I will add him to the list. I think the opening round will be 3/28, with subsequent rounds every 28 days.

Bracket is posted.

I copied and pasted the entry list from above into a randomizer and here is what I got:

http://i58.tinypic.com/52nj80.jpg

I think it worked out well. There will always be a some inequity in the pairings no matter if I do it random or seeded. I like random better as it removes any bias. I'll write up a tournament preview in the coming days highlighting the field and match-ups. I'll post it here and on the Org home page once it is complete.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

AMS FC 205 Tournament Preview:

16 men will enter; only one will walk away undefeated. The Light Heavyweight tournament field is stacked with former and returning champions, elite managers, fan favorites and virtual unknowns. Here is a breakdown of the field as I see it.

The favorites:

Parmalee SackettA massively popular fighter, Parmalee Sackett will enter the event as the odds makers favorite to win. Parmalee sports an impressive 17-4 record entering his tune up fight this weekend against knockout artist Ron Burgundy. Should his chin hold up, Sackett will no doubt enter the tournament as the pound for pound leader as well. His achievements include stints as the Crucible Fights Vegas and Dominance NYC 205 champion. He has only one loss in his career to a 200K+ fighter, Iso Kaato.

Iso Kaato – 16-1 and returning from a 4-month sabbatical Kaato is making his cage debut in this tournament under new manager Billy Weedman. In his previous fighting stint Kaato held the Epic FF League and Umbrella 205 titles. He would be the hands down favorite if it weren’t for his time away. Will he come back true to form or in need of more refinement? Time will tell.

Georgy FokinWho gave Kaato his only defeat, you might be wondering? This man, BJJ red belt Georgy Fokin. This one time Umbrella champ also holds 2 victories over current AMS FC titleholder Yuri Hanzzle. His iron chin and elite ground game make him a match-up nightmare for all participants.

And some more former champions:

Shogan AyeHe held the AMS FC title long ago under his former manager. Now we are happy to have him return under new leadership to display the skills and intangibles that propelled him to stardom earlier in his career. A brief but impressive run of fights under his new management show that Aye is ready to go.

Dudley Bradshaw – Bradshaw has held the GLADIATOR London title as well as the AMS FC title briefly. He is no stranger to big fights and top-level competition. A tough out for sure.

Matt GreinerThe top dog at Ascension Amsterdam, Greiner finished his career there as the undefeated champion. He has taken a few disappointing losses with his move to AMS FC, but the skills are still there, it is just a question of whether he can recapture the killer instinct he showed earlier on.

The young guns:

Artie DeVanzo – Mr. Beer League is gaining weight again after starting his career at LHW but cutting down to Welterweight to compete in the ITFL. This makes him no stranger to tournament level competition, but will the weight loss/gain have taken a toll?

Ivar Lodbrok – 7 wins, 6 by knockout. That is how Lodbrok rolls. His vicious striking make him a fan favorite and any opponents worst nightmare. Better bring a granite chin with you if you draw him as an opponent.

Happy Forclit – 5 straight submission victories to start his career and none since. He has suffered a string of Decision losses recently including a split decision defeat in his title fight vs. Hanzzle. Happy is another tough opponent who is looking to get back to his winning ways.

Mario Penzer – One time Warzone champ, Penzer has a balanced set of skills and high determination that can make for great fights. But can his slightly suspect chin hold up against the heavy hitters? Time will tell.

The AMS FC flag bearers:

These middle-tier fighters seem to gain both big wins and tough losses in equal portions. How they fair in this tournament will probably come down to match-ups and the luck of the draw.

Nisse Indian

Veron Totto

The otherwise unknowns:

These AMS FC newcomers lack big fight experience. Perhaps one of them can shock the world by taking out a favorite, or even make a Cinderella run deeper into the tournament.

Magestico Garuntasticos

Ricardo Santana

Eugeny Gorkovenko

Frank Slayer

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

I'll donate 100k to the winner of the tournament.

Good luck everyone

Thanks Bjorn!

Go Kaato!!! Nice to see my former top prospect in hands of a talented manager! And a win over JLP's guy is always sweet :)

Really glad Kaato entered this. Very interested in seeing how far he can go. He is one of my favorites to win it all.

Bracket in the first post has been updated.

• 4 weeks later...

Two big upsets on Saturday; Lodbrok shocked the world with a first round TKO against the previously 17-1 and never KO'ed Iso Kaato. HUGE upset. And Mario Penzer avenged his recent decision loss to Fokin with a decision victory of his own. A less stunning, but equally impressive win.

So as we enter the semifinals, we have 1 of the "early favorites", 1 "former champ", and surprisingly 2 "young guns" remaining. Much respect to success of the 220K+ fighters in this field. They are clearly up to the level needed to compete in a 200K org.

The bracket has been updated, good luck to the remaining entrants.

• 3 weeks later...

2 inactivities to report. Iso Kaato manager has been inactive so Slayer will fight another guy on the scheduled date, but will advance in the tournament regardless of the outcome.

The champ Hanzzle has also gone inactive. If he doesn't resurface I think it would be right to make the tournament finals for the title.

• 2 weeks later...

Lodbrok does it again with another huge first round knockout victory, and Sackett continued his winning ways with a fourth consecutive AMS FC win. The final showdown will be for the belt with the current champ gone missing. It has shaped up to be a true superstar finale with the top pair of light heavyweight in AMS FC facing off in a winner takes all battle.