More primaries

TPowell1990

I know this has been beat to death, but I really dislike seeing the elite fighters being top notch in every single primary. I think we should add Judo into this game for sure, and obviously make tosses a secondary or group it in with a currently weak secondary like escapes somehow. Adding in something like Tae kwon do would help too. Maybe make the clinch game more effective and make muay thai less of a striking primary. If not, maybe we could at least lower the points available for primaries

It would seem to me (probably incorrectly) that it might be better to create something that is outwardly more diverse but factually rather similar if you were going to make such a big change.

Perhaps something like a 4 primary system where each primary is one of two or three options. Perhaps you could choose from wrestling or Judo. Kicking boxing or Muay Thai etc..To add further diversification you could give bonuses to each discipline. Judo is better at takedowns in the clinch but worse against the shot for example.

However it would seem to be an epic job that would grind any others improvements to a complete halt.

It would seem to me (probably incorrectly) that it might be better to create something that is outwardly more diverse but factually rather similar if you were going to make such a big change.

Perhaps something like a 4 primary system where each primary is one of two or three options. Perhaps you could choose from wrestling or Judo. Kicking boxing or Muay Thai etc..To add further diversification you could give bonuses to each discipline. Judo is better at takedowns in the clinch but worse against the shot for example.

However it would seem to be an epic job that would grind any others improvements to a complete halt.

yeah that was my original thought as well, but I can imagine the dismay the guys that work on the fight engine would have.

Wrestling or Judo

Kick boxing or Muay Thai

BJJ or ?

yeah that was my original thought as well, but I can imagine the dismay the guys that work on the fight engine would have.

Wrestling or Judo

Kick boxing or Muay Thai

BJJ or ?

I'm not entirely sure why it would be any more difficult than just adding extra primaries. In fact, I'm fairly sure it would be easier as you could enter either/or code rather than completely rewrite everything. Either way, it is still a massive job.

I'm not entirely sure why it would be any more difficult than just adding extra primaries. In fact, I'm fairly sure it would be easier as you could enter either/or code rather than completely rewrite everything. Either way, it is still a massive job.

True, I just meant adding stuff in general. The easiest thing would be to limit skill points

True, I just meant adding stuff in general. The easiest thing would be to limit skill points

I'm not sure why you would want to limit skill points.You want your best fighters to be great as that is what modern MMA fighters are as long as they can only maintain that status for a finite amount of time.

Lack of diversity amongst those fighters that is leading to a staggering number of decisions is a fair point though. I imagine (I obviously have no actual knowledge) that such a move would be advantageous in attracting more players. However it is obviously a huge commitment and the game would need to be in a position of happy stasis before such a move could be made.

I'm not sure why you would want to limit skill points.You want your best fighters to be great as that is what modern MMA fighters are as long as they can only maintain that status for a finite amount of time.

Lack of diversity amongst those fighters that is leading to a staggering number of decisions is a fair point though. I imagine (I obviously have no actual knowledge) that such a move would be advantageous in attracting more players. However it is obviously a huge commitment and the game would need to be in a position of happy stasis before such a move could be made.

That is what I'm saying. Elite fighters are virtually the same outside of hiddens, a feature we can't control

I think you can count on one or two hands how many Judo fighters are at an elite level. Lets forget about Ronda, because WMMA is still in a very basic stage right now. Karo, Manny, Akiyama and a couple of guys from Pride. I don't think it is big enough to get its own category over things such as Kickboxing, TKD etc, which would give diversity to kicks and striking as a whole.

I think you can count on one or two hands how many Judo fighters are at an elite level. Lets forget about Ronda, because WMMA is still in a very basic stage right now. Karo, Manny, Akiyama and a couple of guys from Pride. I don't think it is big enough to get its own category over things such as Kickboxing, TKD etc, which would give diversity to kicks and striking as a whole.

I would agree with that. Just throwing things out there. The only issue is all of those intersect with muay thai striking some

For SURE judo at least. possibly sambo and/or taekwondo aswell.

Judo would obviously incorporate a lot more judo style throws, help in all takedowns aspects as defensive and offensive along with having a big advantage in clinch wrestling. Would obviously still incorporate submissions and def grappling.

Sambo would be mainly wrestling with some submissions and boxing > kicks but a little kicks.

Taekwondo would give variety of kicks and more dexterity or work on physicals aswell as kicks.

There are a lot more judo players in MMA than people think. It is highly underused in the sport though imo there is a reason you see a lot of top level judokas dominating a lot of submission grappling contests along with a lot of pure wrestling contests even..

I was thinking about this some more earlier.

If it was possible to simply make it so you could choose between boxing/kick boxing, Muay Thai/ Karate, Wrestling/Sambo, BJJ/Judo then you would suddenly have 16 possible combinations that would instantly have a game that looks far more varied.

Potential bonuses could be small (and not precisely representative) as well. Boxing +5% hands/ kickboxing +5% kicks. Karate +5% clinch takedown/ Muay Thai 5% clinch strikes. Wrestling 5% shoot takedowns/ Sambo +5% GNP. BJJ +5% submissions/ Judo +5% transitions.

This would have the advantage of being very simple to understand for new players. Not be overpowering in mismatches (a 5% bonus of a competent wrestler would still be worse than a strong Sambo guy) but would add new wrinkles to top level competition where hiddens are all powerful.

*Couple of end notes.

These may not be the ideal pairs or bonuses.

Also, I realise this has been done a million times before but it makes me feel better getting my thoughts out there so :shades: