Quality of sparring

A VIP suggestion.

In the "Gym sparring sessions" I'd like to see the quality of the fighters sparring at each time.

For exsample:

I see there are only 2 fighters sparring BJJ at Mon. AM.

I have a purple belt and I'm thinking about joining that sparring session, but now I have no idea what level of BJJ these two guys are, if one is a white belt and the other a blue belt, I'm not really interested in "waisting" that time slot on sparring with them.

On the other hand, if it's a purple and a brown belt, I'm excited to join that session.

So I was wondering if the avarge skill of fighters in each session could be listed ?

Sure they could.

Example

Boxing sparring Session has 10 fighters, the average skill of the session is 90 (0 being lowest , 140 or 150 highest).

A fighter with 20 in boxing joins the sparring session.

Now there is 11 fighters in the slot with averge skill of 83.6. I don't seeing many leaving the session because it's average skill dropped a bit.

I don't see why this should work out, and I wouldnt think it should be much of a problem programing (I know nothing about programing, so I can't say for sure)

Sure they could.

Example

Boxing sparring Session has 10 fighters, the average skill of the session is 90 (0 being lowest , 140 or 150 highest).

A fighter with 20 in boxing joins the sparring session.

Now there is 11 fighters in the slot with averge skill of 83.6. I don't seeing many leaving the session because it's average skill dropped a bit.

I don't see why this should work out, and I wouldnt think it should be much of a problem programing (I know nothing about programing, so I can't say for sure)

It will still polarize. People with brown belts won't spar with anything under 100, so they are out. Purple belts will then pop slower if they know there are no brown belts, etc. The best chance is coordination from your individual gym to find a plan that works for that gym. I have tried various things at the gym I ran, some successful, some not. I think at some point, the onus of responsibility is on the managers to work together to get the best training conditions.

I find this a very good idea, but not just for VIPs, for everybody. I find it a bit stupid that you can't see who you are sparring with. Sparring now is like dropping your fighter in a dark hole and hope he learns something.

I made mention of this before way back when, but someone brought up a pretty solid point that...say there are a few brown belts sparring...you could have a bunch of vulture white belts that join the session at the very last minute since they see there are some top guys sparring. So although it would be cool to see that you have quality guys on--you would also be exposing yourself to poor partners sneaking in at the last second.

I made mention of this before way back when, but someone brought up a pretty solid point that...say there are a few brown belts sparring...you could have a bunch of vulture white belts that join the session at the very last minute since they see there are some top guys sparring. So although it would be cool to see that you have quality guys on--you would also be exposing yourself to poor partners sneaking in at the last second.

I agree. Planning on the user level is what it takes. Mike cannot hold our hand every step of the way

If there's too much concern about ending up with leaches or bailing out of sparring, I think it would be interesting to see the average general skill (BJJ, wrestling, boxing, muay thai) rating of gym members. It would indirectly serve the same purpose and give another way to tell gym quality.

If there's too much concern about ending up with leaches or bailing out of sparring, I think it would be interesting to see the average general skill (BJJ, wrestling, boxing, muay thai) rating of gym members. It would indirectly serve the same purpose and give another way to tell gym quality.

The problem of looking at the average of members is that people have like 140 points, and the average would be close to 140/4 for most gyms

I would be happy with a system that allowed an owner to set certain limits. I feel it should be restricted some how, say only a certain number of sessions per week can have a minimum. Every gym I have been to has sparring just for top guys, often instructors at the place and a couple top students. Let us face it, even in real life, you want this kind of challenge. In the game, it serves the same purpose to make the gym better.

As always, I only fear abuse of the system, or at least fear people being singled out. If 2 sessions per week were dedicated to this system, it would take a little over 6 months to get the reported 64 sessions it took the first black belts to pop. At that point, it is dedication, not abuse.

I have always advocated planning on the user level over adding code (similar to using existing laws instead of making new ones), but it is impossible without a massive body of work to prove someone is violating the system. Giving a tool to the gym owners would be popular in my mind. My idea would be something like making the manager able to set the minimum Saturday sparring number. If the owner wants it open to all, so be it. If he wants a limit, he can set it. This at least helps distinguish gyms, which was part of the rationale for the $499 price fix.

Two points here, If you want a small sparring session with a few talented fighters find them and arrange it yourself. Maybe those two guys sparring are together for a purpose and don't want your fighter in the way. And secondly the misspelling of wasting and the putting it in quotes makes for one of the most confusing typos I've seen in awhile. I spent several minutes pondering what this clever play on words was really meant to mean.

No, because then lower fighters would hardly ever get a chance to be in a session with a higher fighter, unless specifically setup that way.

You mean like in real life? Seems like a good argument for me to be in favor of it.

If it's implemented, it should be visible to everybody. It's only normal to know who you are sparring with.

You mean like in real life? Seems like a good argument for me to be in favor of it.

If it's implemented, it should be visible to everybody. It's only normal to know who you are sparring with.

You could have beginning, intermediate, and advanced level sparring sessions and have penalties for putting yourself in the wrong area. That's how it is in real life- getting absolutely destroyed can teach, but not very well, and doing the destroying doesn't have very many benefits either.