Barao Moving Up

kenlow73

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_27302.shtml#.VgXEmPlVhBc

UFC
Former UFC Champ Renan Barao reportedly tells Brazilian TV he's moving to featherweight
Sep 25, 2015 - 4:15:49 PM Former UFC Champ Renan Barao reportedly tells Brazilian TV he's moving to featherweight

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/uploads/5/Renan_Barao_5.jpg

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

Following his second loss to T.J. Dillashaw, former UFC Bantamweight Champion Renan Barao is heading up to featherweight.

Barao made the announcement on a local news program in Brazil, according to Matheus Aquina - manager for Bellator fighters Patricio and Patricky Freire - on Twitter:

Barao, 28, went unbeaten in 33 fights over a nine-year span, but had that streak snapped with his fifth round TKO loss to Dillashaw in May of last year. He bounced back in December with a win over Mitch Gagnon, but in the rematch with Dillashaw in July he was beaten even more handily, losing by TKO in the fourth round.

Penick's Analysis: It's the right move for Barao at this point. He's clearly below the Champ after two fights between them, and he needs a significant change to get back on track. Now, his teammate Jose Aldo remains Champion at 145 lbs., but as he needs to get some wins back before getting into title contention, there's plenty of time for Aldo to move on to lightweight before Barao gets there.

• Downvote 1

I think Conor said something on TUF (if I heard it right) about moving up because after he beats Aldo, there won't be anybody else left to fight This article also talks about Aldo moving up, so that would two less in that division.

• Upvote 1

English please?

Weight cut, I blame it on fully. TJ is great but Cruz will show he isn't that great,

I think you're underestimating TJ in this fight, Barao was a hugely successful in fights up until TJ and now that he lost it's the weight cuts, I guess those weight cuts are the reason he was winning fight before eh?

What do you even think Cruz will expose and how, he had a 1 minute fight vs Mizugaki over a year ago that showcased nothing. TJ is not nearly slow enough for that to work on him, I'm not saying the guy can't win but I expect to see a good few rounds and actually get a gauge on where he is.

Cruz won't have an easy time but I see a clear cut decision win for him, TJ has his two mentors and friends fighting back and forth throwing out sexism and racism allegations, so his head must not be 100% where it needs to be right now to train and prepare.

Injury free Cruz, as much as I dislike him, is a monster. I can't see TJ executing his wrestling or winning a fight on points, and Cruz's chin isn't questionable.

Barao didn't look anything like himself in the two TJ fights and it was his first time almost dying from weight cuts...