Writing Company - Looking for Interest

clydebankblitz

Who Will Run The 'Writer's Union'?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Run The 'Writer's Union'?

This is not some form of sign up thread or anything, just looking for interest from org owners and writers.

This is based off of an idea from Ferg uK (108879). It might be a little bit hard to explain so ask any questions you want.

So me and Ferg were talking and he brought up the idea of putting together like an "organisation" for writing. We talked a bit further and it developed into a pretty interesting idea. Essentially, a 'company' (for lack of a better word) is set up (on the forums) by a collection of writers (with one person being kind of in charge, that bit will be relevant later).

These writers essentially provide a service of writing. So instead of having companies hire individuals to write for them, they would hire the company. It would then be up to the company to provide them a write up.

I reckon this would be a much better thing to deal with as an org owner. Currently, it's really hard to actually find a decent writer who is interested in pitching in. Everyone is interested in doing write ups "from time to time" and no one wants to permanently write for an org, where as orgs all want someone to come on board as a "full time writer". Individual writers can be unreliable, or simply sometimes they will be too busy to get something done. If you are hiring the "company" to write, you're not hiring a specific writer from the company. You put in a job to get done, and it's up to the company to source the writer from their 'staff' and get one of the guys to do it. If none of the guys are available, that's why having one guy in charge is important because then it all falls on their shoulders to get it done.

I reckon the benefits for writers is that it means you're not letting anyone down. If you aren't available to write, someone will replace you on the job. Maybe have like time limits or something for people to get it done before they are replaced by another writer or something. The main incentive for writers would be the markup price. Currently, 100k is really your "top end" for a writer. I reckon you could do 75k for a quick small piece, and 150k for an indepth full write up. This way, you get a decent amount more money in your pocket, you don't really let anyone down, you aren't signed on to permanently write for an org etc.

The benefits for orgs is that they don't have to deal with one individual. They have an entire team of people that could potentially write for them. This means it's much more reliable and someone going on holiday or having a few beers won't cost you a write up. You also don't have to go looking for writers because that will all be done by the company itself.

----

Don't know if all of that was fully clear, let me know if you don't get anything or if you come up with something I dont.

As a writer or org owner, would something like this be something you would be interested in working for / using?

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Aye, I think it's an idea which has potential - a writers union if you like. Happy to run it as well, at least on a trial basis depending on interest.

Yeah since I'm not really writing that much, running it myself would be hypocritical haha.

And if anyone's wondering, no, it WON'T be called Highland Writers :D

Just a quick idea that popped into my head...

Have you seen the TV show "Shipping Wars"? We could have a piece "auctioned" that needs writing and a time limit on when it needs to be assigned by. The person willing to bid the lowest to write the piece, can then take it and be paid what they bid.

Sounds really cheesy when I'm reading it back now but seemed a good idea at the time hah.

Just a quick idea that popped into my head...

Have you seen the TV show "Shipping Wars"? We could have a piece "auctioned" that needs writing and a time limit on when it needs to be assigned by. The person willing to bid the lowest to write the piece, can then take it and be paid what they bid.

Sounds really cheesy when I'm reading it back now but seemed a good idea at the time hah.

I like it, but writing is already ridiculously underpaid as it is so anything to bring the values down even more would hurt it more at the start.

Anyhooo, on the subject of the first post. I just thought instead of people getting let down, having a business to go to that can guarantee the job doing, would be worthwhile for the masses. You want the best writers and the job doing properly, hire the company. Wanna take a chance and get the next... well, you know who I mean, be left disappointed and wish you hadn't bothered?

We'll get rid of those issues. Let's get this sorted ladies and gents.

• Upvote 1

Point taken and I'm still new to the game, so haven't got a proper handle on the economy yet. After this feedback, lets scrap that idea before it gains any momentum hah.

I've sold quick avatars in auctions on here for like 200k and yet it's a struggle to get 100k for a full write up. That's why I stopped writing for other orgs, wasn't worth the money. I reckon a "service" like this would allow writers to jack the prices up.

I've sold quick avatars in auctions on here for like 200k and yet it's a struggle to get 100k for a full write up. That's why I stopped writing for other orgs, wasn't worth the money. I reckon a "service" like this would allow writers to jack the prices up.

Not only that, you can provide a certain level of quality guaranteed. You won't be left wondering what sort of piece is gunna get thrown at you at the last minute. Have someone eloquent on quality control and you're laughing all the way to the bank.

• Upvote 1

Not only that, you can provide a certain level of quality guaranteed. You won't be left wondering what sort of piece is gunna get thrown at you at the last minute. Have someone eloquent on quality control and you're laughing all the way to the bank.

Aye it'll be on the company to make sure the guys are producing quality work. Newer members could maybe do their preview at a lower rate until the quality gets up.

That being said you'd have to start paying orgs to let Mamado write for them :D

Aye it'll be on the company to make sure the guys are producing quality work. Newer members could maybe do their preview at a lower rate until the quality gets up.

That being said you'd have to start paying orgs to let Mamado write for them :D

Thinking about it a little more, there's gunna have to be quite a few people willing to write, as if this takes off properly, there could be a long list of work.

I like writing and finding new ways to do write-ups... I'm willing to start this up with some other writers, I think it'd be a great way to get paid for what your worth.... You could even have like writer scales: 100-200k-buys this level (Exmaple)

200-300k -this level (Example)

300-400k- this level

and so on, and so forth... list authors and their levels and examples of write-ups....

• Upvote 1

Just as an example, how would something like this sit with both Orgs and Writers?

Basic preview 30k - 2/3 lines no more about each fighter, covering a card up to and including 5 fights. 5 lines for Main Event

Basic preview 50k - 2/3 lines no more about each fighter, covering a card up to and including 10 fights. 5 lines for Main Event

Detailed hype preview 100k - Quick fighter history, last meaningful fight recap, recent awards and potential strategy, covering a card up to 5 fights.

Detailed hype preview 150k - Quick fighter history, last meaningful fight recap, recent awards and potential strategy, covering a card up to 10 fights

Basic review 50k - 2/3 lines no more about the fight, covering a card up to and including 5 fights. 5 lines for Main Event

Basic review 80k - 2/3 lines no more about the fight, covering a card up to and including 10 fights. 5 lines for Main Event

Detailed hype review 125k - Major events, tactics, cuts/injury, scorecard and result, covering a card up to 5 fights. (Possibility of graphics involved)

Detailed hype review 200k - Major events, tactics, cuts/injury, scorecard and result, covering a card up to 5 fights. (Possibility of graphics involved)

Not set in stone, I just wanted to gauge reaction from both sides, as to whether the pricing plan would be along the right lines for good solid work.

*Edited Main Event*

• Upvote 1

Just as an example, how would something like this sit with both Orgs and Writers?

Basic preview 30k - 2/3 lines no more about each fighter, covering a card up to and including 5 fights.

Basic preview 50k - 2/3 lines no more about each fighter, covering a card up to and including 10 fights.

Detailed hype preview 100k - Quick fighter history, last meaningful fight recap, recent awards and potential strategy, covering a card up to 5 fights.

Detailed hype preview 150k - Quick fighter history, last meaningful fight recap, recent awards and potential strategy, covering a card up to 10 fights

Basic review 50k - 2/3 lines no more about the fight, covering a card up to and including 5 fights.

Basic review 80k - 2/3 lines no more about the fight, covering a card up to and including 10 fights.

Detailed hype review 125k - Major events, tactics, cuts/injury, scorecard and result, covering a card up to 5 fights. (Possibility of graphics involved)

Detailed hype review 200k - Major events, tactics, cuts/injury, scorecard and result, covering a card up to 5 fights. (Possibility of graphics involved)

Not set in stone, I just wanted to gauge reaction from both sides, as to whether the pricing plan would be along the right lines for good solid work.

I think that seems fair, I think orgs should also be able to tip the writers and it's to the writers discretion whether they want to keep the tip quiet or not.

Basic preview 30k - 2/3 lines no more about each fighter, covering a card up to and including 5 fights. 5 lines for Main Event

Basic preview 50k - 2/3 lines no more about each fighter, covering a card up to and including 10 fights. 5 lines for Main Event

Basic review 50k - 2/3 lines no more about the fight, covering a card up to and including 5 fights. 5 lines for Main Event

Basic review 80k - 2/3 lines no more about the fight, covering a card up to and including 10 fights. 5 lines for Main Event

*Edited Main Event*

Previews should be more than reviews imo. I've always found reviews kinda pointless

I thought that myself but when you think about any sporting event, people want to see the highlights if they cant catch it live. It's ok looking at the tale of the tape but a blow by blow account is more exciting.

I totally get what you're saying and in this instance it might actually be better the way you suggest. I just threw an idea out for people to work with. Lets see what works for the majority and run with that. No dictatorship here, happy for all constructive criticism and suggestions.

Previews should be more than reviews imo. I've always found reviews kinda pointless

Was going to say the same, although not the pointless bit. Previews are harder to do cause you actually need to go and find something to talk about. Reviews, you can just briefly cover the action and say what they are going on to next and you're already well into the paragraph.

But prices and stuff I guess can be worked out a bit later. I think we've got a good bit of interest in this from writers now. Might PM a few org owners and see if this is the kind of thing they'd be into using.