MMA Tycoon $1m Chess Grandmaster Tournament

GBK16

Tournament  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How much time does each player start with?

• 3 minutes
    • 5 minutes
    • 8 minutes
    • 10 minutes
    • 15 minutes
  2. 2. Time Increments (Time added to each player's stash for each move they make)

• 0 seconds
    • 1 seconds
    • 3 seconds
    • 5 seconds
    • 10 seconds

I think you need a time limit like 10 min each person .That way the games will move along and 10 min is way more time then need to finish a game. 5 min would be ideal .To prevent cheating i suggest 3 min each person

I normally play with 10 min time controls so I'd be happy to do that. Lower time controls not so much, I find with blitz it's mostly a case of who makes the first mistake and that's not really what I like about chess. Unless you motherfuckers are rocking around at 2000 ELO it's going to lead to boring games - either with a colossal amount of fuck ups or a lack of action on the board.

10 minutes is good because there's a bit of time pressure but you at least have a bit of time to think if you need. Also switching colours is a must, personally I reckon two games per opponent (with more it gets a bit pointless if there's a massive skill imbalance).

As far as engines go it should be pretty obvious if someone's cheating but if it does come up you could always run an engine analysis to confirm.

I think when we use the clocks in Chess Club, it's 15 minutes.

yeah, but there you have to move the pieces with your own arms. That's why you get 10 minutes more. ;)

Not a fan of clocks, I don't like rushing it. I like to think my moves through and not make a hasty move because time is running low. I suppose I could do 10mins if people really wanted it though

I'm also cool with 20 mins - I think time controls make sense in a tournament format, but you have to strike a balance:

5 mins or less you are essentially playing blitz, and there's quite a substantial difference in playing style at that speed (i.e. the incentive is to stay away from making risky moves which IMO sucks the fun out of the game)

Over 20 mins and it might start getting a bit tedious for some people. @ 20 mins the longest the game is going to go on for is 40 mins which I think is a reasonable amount of time given the number of competitors, longer than that might be pushing it a wee bit.

Also setting up a poll after the signups is a good idea. Personally I'd strongly prefer a 10-20 minute format for the reasons outlined above but obviously people can make up their own mind on that.

We've been playing about with the timing settings, and another thing you can add in is Increments, which means whenever you make your move, you get bonus time. I just played a game with KingEpicity with 10 minute timer, and 30 second increments. Game was still paced well, with not so much rushing but not a lot of stalling involved so Increments will be something people can vote on too.

I am not good at speed chess so i am fine with whatever time as long as it gives me some time to think moves through.

I am in of course.

ok let me blow the lit of this thing :D

get a fritz version, put it on very very fucking hard and do the moves you opponent does, you do the fritz moves lol

should get the wins

soo good point from itakebrides on the timelimit and cheating

That was my plan but with stockfish :shades: .It not like i ever did that or anything ever :ph34r:

10 minute timer, and 30 second increments.

To be honest grant like mad bod said one of us with a engine with that amount of time would beat anybody ..Only way to make it cheat proof is to have it at 3 min with 10 sec moves.Maybe a bests 2 out of 3 since the game or so short .Or if you what it longer allow people to use whatever engines or openings books they what to use

That was my plan but with stockfish :shades: .It not like i ever did that or anything ever :ph34r:

To be honest grant like mad bod said one of us with a engine with that amount of time would beat anybody ..Only way to make it cheat proof is to have it at 3 min with 10 sec moves.Maybe a bests 2 out of 3 since the game or so short .Or if you what it longer allow people to use whatever engines or openings books they what to use

No offence but you're a bit of an idiot if you're thinking about using an engine. Personally I kinda see it like using wallhack on CoD: what are you proving other than the fact you have no skill (and you're a bit of a dick)?

If you want to use an engine go ahead; most of the time I can spot engine users and furthermore it's really easy to confirm when you run a post-match analysis on the game.

I'm not really up for a blitz tournament but if other people want to do that fair enough, I will probably sit out.

To add my input to the time control issue:

1-short time controls make for more exciting and relaxed games. I say this because there will be mistakes on both part which means one can afford to be reckless(have fun). One will never get away with that with longer time controls.

2- There should be more than 3 games(for the same reason above) Openings and plans are one the nicest things about match play and you can only choose one per game.

3- 1 second increment adds up to 1 minute total time(think 60 moves times 1 second= one minute) . Playing with an 30 sec increment means adding half an hour to the game.

I favour 5, 6 or 7 mins with no increment. But would accept anything between 5 and 10.

<5 too short

>10 too long.

• Upvote 1

1-short time controls make for more exciting and relaxed games. I say this because there will be mistakes on both part which means one can afford to be reckless(have fun). One will never get away with that with longer time controls.

Funnily enough I find the exact opposite :P Blitz games are anything but relaxing and as for exciting games nah...

Personally I don't find games where both sides make loads of mistakes remotely entertaining. For me exciting chess is when you see sacrifices / complex attacking moves - both of which involve time to calculate. When I'm playing blitz I rarely do sacs or follow potentially risky lines, most of the time it's play boring positional chess and wait for the other person to make the first mistake - it just sucks the fun out of it for me.

10 -> 20 minutes is ideal in my opinion, there's a little bit of time pressure but not to the extent where you are basically playing the clock.

that's funny. Because I'm really much more aggressive and careless in blitz than in longer time controls.

Anyway, I've made an account at this place too. It's Torrelio if anyone wants to find me.

Just after fishing a few biltz game against Torrelio .he played very well and we won a game between us piece with 2 draws .Seems like he study openings and should have done better against a slightly buzzed mickey hart ;) .Anyway it was a very enjoyable couple of games .I think that format would suit the tournament perfect .It was a 3 minute each match with 1 sec incursion

No offence but you're a bit of an idiot if you're thinking about using an engine. Personally I kinda see it like using wallhack on CoD: what are you proving other than the fact you have no skill (and you're a bit of a dick)?

Would you called grand masters unskilled??Because basically that all they do .They basic "cheat" all they do is learn opening and the perfect move to the 10 place and even more .I can do it without memory using a engine .If you what to have a original game let the computer to the best possible move for 10 places then play away yourself .

That why people play btliz because they no way to use a computer while playing