Change the skill cap to prevent "perfect fighter syndrome"

Mooncutter

The skill cap solution to the skill inflation problem was genious. It works well. It's 77-80% randomized at the beginning, and you won't find out where your fighter is until you hit that 77+ percent.

The problem, however, is that fighters refrain from training certain secondary skill so that they can max out on the primary skills and physicals. A sprawl and brawler can skip elbows, knees, kicks, submissions, takedown off. Just there, you got 5 skills 150 points each. Don't train those, and you can pretty much max everything else. We end up with these elite-almost-everything fighters, which is boring. Very boring.

This needs fixing.

1) A solution is to introduce the skill cap in EACH SPECIFIC CATEGORY. So it's randomized 77-80% in primaries, secondaries, and physicals. What I don't like about this is that the game become less "sandbox" and it "locks" you in this tight mold. If you do go with this option, the variation needs to be a little bigger, I think. Say 75-80%.

2) Another solution is to, again, randomize a number for each category, but allow a fighter to use unused points in another category, with a slight punishment, of say, 15-35%). So 100 points of unmaxed secondaries becomes (at 25% fee), 75 usable points in the primaries. The whole goal is to prevent the "do not train a bunch of secondaries, then max everything else syndrome". Which is the "perfect all maxed fighter" problem all over again. (We see this at the top).

If you want to be real nerdy about it, that "carry over" percentage point could even be randomized. Say, between 20-40 percent (the punishment/fee, that is). You could make intelligence, and experience effect it, if you want. This would not affect anyone except the hardcore players, who would have just another intriguing question mark in their fighter.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

well to be fair i don't end with the so called elite fuckers you just mentioned.It requires at lot of patience to have those max. beast and i don't think a large percentage of people here have that.Wish i had then i would be having a much better fighters.

well to be fair i don't end with the so called elite fuckers you just mentioned.It requires at lot of patience to have those max. beast and i don't think a large percentage of people here have that.Wish i had then i would be having a much better fighters.

It is certainly a problem only at the top, with fast learning projects created 16-18 years old. I don't have that problem either, and I won't for a long time.

But if you look at the top ranked fighters, many are double elites and double sensational in their primaries which seem a little ridiculous to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree. I love this game, and I know they're not trying to make it real life. But I can't really consider it a simulation when you have fighters elite in every primary and useless in a quarter of their secondaries. Most top level fighters in mma aren't elite in more than one primary, and some aren't elite at anything. I just sets a standard that makes the game too linear, with little diversity.

From a simulation perspective, fighters should have "soft" hidden skill caps - some more severe than others. Certain people will just never be good at certain skills, taking an incredible amount of effort to get certain skills above a certain level. Others are geniuses who have unlimited potential with any combat skill as a gift of birth. You won't know until you get to the elite level.

Edit: was this kind of what you were saying in option 1?