Does this sport need some kind of explicit stoppage rules ?

jacky67

ie. more specific than "inteligent defend urself"

boxing rules are simple ur down you have 10 seconds to get up, in some cases the referee can stop if one fighter won't go down but is still fighting without being able to fight back and when this happens no one blame the referee because it is simple situation that anyone understand.

So many fights in mma where the outcome depends in my opinion on the referee to stop a fight or not, one fighter knock a guy and try to go for the finish because the rules are not explicit he burn himself thinking the referee may stop the fight and the lose because he has no cardio left, Henderson vs Fedor, Lombard vs Magny...

I've watched so many fights and still can't predict when a referee will stop a fight or not, sometimes you see a guy out and the referee wait 20-30 seconds to stop, some fights a guy knock down but not out for 3seconds and the referee come and stop the fight.

What you guys think ? To me it's at best random and at worst rigged.

Same shit I don't understand some fights you see a guy is clearly out everyone in the place see it but the referee, everyone feel bad and the referee don't stop because he's somewhat slow or tired and in these situations corners never throw the towel; i'm not sure it can stop the fight right away but sure it can put a "wake up" call on a slow referee. Someone explain me this shit.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The rules in boxing aren't great either. I've seen countless fights where they're stopped to early or to late or the ref fucks up somehow. Just last night the Adrien Broner fight was stopped when his opponent waved to the ref to signal a clear low blow but it was stopped. The ref had a good angle to see it but he missed it and stopped the fight early. Both sports exhibit that randomness.

• Upvote 2

The rules in boxing aren't great either. I've seen countless fights where they're stopped to early or to late or the ref fucks up somehow. Just last night the Adrien Broner fight was stopped when his opponent waved to the ref to signal a clear low blow but it was stopped. The ref had a good angle to see it but he missed it and stopped the fight early. Both sports exhibit that randomness.

To early or too late in boxing is never as much early and late as in mma, I didn't see this fight but it happens way less often.

• Downvote 3

It can't be that clear. Some refs will inherently be better. Some won't get it no matter what you teach them.

Combat sports are dangerous and the science behind them is cloudy as hell.

Refs do what they can with what they see. There is a reason that fighters choose certain refs. Everyone knows what they are doing isn't good for long term health.

I think we just need to let the worse ref's go instead of insisting on them because of politics.

That guy Josh Rosenthal was pretty decent... where is that guy right now? Herb Dean use to be good but has been awful recently... needs a time off. Mario Yamazaki has ups and downs. Marc Goddard is awesome.

I think we need to clear system on how to reward the good ref and penalize the ones who screw up continuosly.

• 2 weeks later...

Standing counts in MMA should not happen. Too often in boxing or KB i see guys that are clearly done pass a standing 8. the tiny gloves or elbows to the head after two counts could be very bad.

I agree it would be a very good idea for them to organise a meeting with people involved in all areas of MMA to make it safer.

I don't mean to be sarcastic but do you watch boxing Jacky? Refereeing in boxing is ATROCIOUS. Things like Carl Froch Vs George Groves happens constantly. One that pissed me the fuck off was Kenny Anderson Vs George Groves. Scrappy underdog hurts and I believe drops a highly touted youngster...nothing. Youngster returns the favour...stoppage

I don't understand most MMA fans. They want fighters to get paid loads, yet money is one of the biggest killers in boxing. They want the Muhammad Ali act which would mean championships aren't owned by the promotions yet titles mean absolutely nothing because of that in boxing. They want to give power to the fighters and take it from the promotions when in boxing we wait 6 years for Manny Vs Floyd.

MMA should stay like MMA. The reason most of us are MMA fans in the first place is cause boxing pissed us the fuck off. Neil Magny Vs Hector Lombard would be one of the best match ups of the year on paper in boxing, cause you so rarely get a match up where either guy could win on paper.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't mean to be sarcastic but do you watch boxing Jacky? Refereeing in boxing is ATROCIOUS. Things like Carl Froch Vs George Groves happens constantly. One that pissed me the fuck off was Kenny Anderson Vs George Groves. Scrappy underdog hurts and I believe drops a highly touted youngster...nothing. Youngster returns the favour...stoppage

I don't understand most MMA fans. They want fighters to get paid loads, yet money is one of the biggest killers in boxing. They want the Muhammad Ali act which would mean championships aren't owned by the promotions yet titles mean absolutely nothing because of that in boxing. They want to give power to the fighters and take it from the promotions when in boxing we wait 6 years for Manny Vs Floyd.

MMA should stay like MMA. The reason most of us are MMA fans in the first place is cause boxing pissed us the fuck off. Neil Magny Vs Hector Lombard would be one of the best match ups of the year on paper in boxing, cause you so rarely get a match up where either guy could win on paper.

What a bull crap are you talking, refereeing in boxing same as muay thai and kick boxing for ko most of the times but very small deviation. Take a judge like cecil people do you really think he would screw as much if theyre were some kind of mechanics to know when to stop or not a fight ? Because following mma rules cecil people is a perfect referee.

Now you talk me about carl froch vs georg grove but it's a referee issue not a rules issue even commentators agreed on, also if you check at the fight the guy wasn't really defending himself for 1mn or more. When a referee fucked up it's 1mn where the guy doesn't defend in mma sometimes it's 2seconds, you get knocked down 2seconds and the referee stop it but sometimes your out and he wait 2mn to stop wtf ??

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is the gloves that make the kills, the way Joao died was just your average TKO (strikes) stoppage, it wasnt neither brutal or the opposing fighter wasnt Mike Tyson either, it is the gloves that make the kill, it can also happen with one punch while standing.

What i am sayng is, it just happened, i have seen much worse beatdowns and nobody died, it happened.