Fighting/Fight Sports IRL

kentalomu

I was just curious as to what fighting any of you do in real life?

While I know not all mma fans necessarily compete or practice martial arts/fighting I assume there will be a few of you here.

So if anyone's interested I just wanna know what kind of competing you've done in any fight sports, what martial arts/disciplines you practice and anything else you think is interesting about your background in fighting...

Chur

I have a lofty amateur record of 0-1.

I took my fight with no prior Jiu Jitsu training, and lost to an accomplished grappler. I still got up smiling, it was a blast. He invited me to his Jiu Jitsu class, and we've trained together many times.

Occasionally I entertain the idea of avenging my loss (I still work out and train every day, and have my 9 year old daughter rolling and hitting pads.) but honestly, I'm probably done. Working out like I might keeps me in great shape, though.

About 20 years ago at age 14 i lost my first (amateur) Tae Kwon Do fight to a guy at the same gym as me. He was older and bigger and always kicked my ass in sparring and when we got matched up at the tournament he said that fight was the hardest i had ever been and he really had to fight hard to earn his win. Since then he has always whooped my ass at training and that was the one time i fought well against him.

I then won my next 2 TKD tournament fights then kinda phased out and discovered alcohol and smoking :(

Recently got back into training and now train Jitz at the local Gracie Barra gym. Getting my ass whooped in training too. If only they had BJJ when i was younger! Never too late though and getting back some (but not all) of the fitness i had as a younger lad. :boxing:

Maybe not as many here as I thought!

Really interesting hearing about what you guys have done.

As for me.. did a little karate when I was a kid but quit when I realised how BS it was. During teens did rugby, cricket, basketball and in my final year freestyle wrestling instead. I got 2nd in my region and 4th in the country in the <120kg division (not anywhere near as impressive as it sounds, because wrestling isn't quit as popular here) then did 2 years of kickboxing training, had a fight, won by decision, then had an opponent pull out and then broke my wrist on someone's ribs in a streetfight lol so had to pull out of one myself. Then I had to have surgery to correct injuries from rugby and playing american football. Once I recovered I thn got into boxing. Joined a ruthless gym with a lot of very large polynesian boys in it (most gyms didnt have big sparring partners for me) I had 3 fights, one won by 1st round KO and then lost 2 by decision. But both of those were against guys who were way bigger than me and had done professional fights. Got my nose broke by one of them who was a former professional rugby player too. I haven't done any fighting this year except a couple of fights at work (I'm a bouncer). Tbh I just want to get skinnier so I don't have to take on these fucking giants lol. Currently weigh 120 but would like to be just under 100.

I did 5 years of Judo and participated in two tournaments that I both won. I wasn't the most technical judoka, but was very good at grips and balance.

I have done kickboxing and boxing lately in the gym. I got offered to train for free in a high level gym as they saw potential in me, but I declined the offer for now. They told me that I could go pro but it currently have other priorities and maybe will give it a shot later. If I would have to describe myself as a boxer in MMATycoon sty\le, I am a very fast learner , great KO power and speed with an average chin and good heart.

• Downvote 1

I boxed from age 8 to around 19 on and off.

I got my Orange Belt in Judo.

Took Muay Thai in Titans Gym in Halifax for 2 years, trained win Former UFC fighter Roger Hollett and sparred a bit with him.

Took BJJ and got my Purple Belt after a short time. Rolled with TJ Grant once there very briefly when he visited..strongest human being ever he felt like.

I also took A little kickboxing, dabbed in Tae Kwon Do when I was younger.

Amateur Boxing record 1-1, both were 4x3 minute rounds.. First fight got TKO'd by a guy 40lbs heavier than me but I wouldn't drop because I was stubborn so I took a nice beating before the ref stopped it lol and second fight won by TKO a guy about 10 lbs smaller than me. Caught him with a jab, right uppercut, left hook counter and it took out his feet and he did fell against the ropes and motioned he was done.. Crazy adrenaline rush, but I don't enjoy getting punched in the face much after I had reconstructive surgery from a hockey puck to the face in 2011. And my shoulder regularly dislocates when I grapple too so I had to give that all up.

Haha if I had to describe myself using terms from this game I would probably be granite chin, I definitely have a lot of work to do to get that world class boxer status though haha. I guess you could describe my style as being quite simple: it's focused around getting me into position to land hard straight rights, hard body rips, and occasionally leaping hooks haha. (I might be 6'1' but the guys I face are typically a couple inches taller).

Oh mate! Don't talk to me about shoulder dislocation! That's actually what my surgery I mentioned was to repair. Dislocated it fully about 10 times, and partially (sublux?) dozens of times. Yeah the reason I will never compete in MMA is because training jitz/grappling is too risky for me as well. Particularly because the big local gym has heaps of people who love to work kimura-like moves as they transition lol. I'm sure you know how scary that arm position is. You must be pretty decent to have a purple belt, though.

Tony I'm pretty sure that's how I first stumbled onto it, too. Like 6 years ago haha.

Bjorn I'm curious what made you decline their offer?

Really interested to hear about this stuff

/

Bjorn I'm curious what made you decline their offer?

/

Multiple things.

1) My girlfriend doesn't like seeing me fight, as she is always scared.

2) I have trouble with my right eye, a bit like a Bisping-type of injury, so must be carefull as I prefer to not become half blind in the future.

3) I don't have the time for it. If I were to attempt it, I would want to give it my all and not just do it half and half, if you know what I mean.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...