At what point do you start sparring your projects?

WarMachine

I normally introduce one or two sessions a week when they're 19. By 20 they'll be on four spars a week minimum.

They probably won't have any elite secondaries by then, but they should have at least 7 wonderful secondaries.

All my 18 yr old creations are projects, but I like to get them fighting properly by 21 or so. By 24 they should be ready for most orgs. And by 25 they should be about 98% full, stats wise.

There's really no wrong way to do it but there are more efficient ways to go about it. Most people hold off on sparring until later in a young fighters training. I personally like to spar one of my fighters weaknesses in primaries right away to a certain level and then I do hold off on most sparring until a later age. The reason is because I realised they are gaining primary levels anyways from secondary training.

• Upvote 1

There's really no wrong way to do it but there are more efficient ways to go about it. Most people hold off on sparring until later in a young fighters training. I personally like to spar one of my fighters weaknesses in primaries right away to a certain level and then I do hold off on most sparring until a later age. The reason is because I realised they are gaining primary levels anyways from secondary training.

This. It drives me crazy having a guy stuck on useless or abysmal.

There's only one truly good reason to completely hold off sparring.

From what I gather, some managers ALWAYS start projects off with 110 MT, good kicks and punches, but no knees and elbows.

Clinch raping is a good tactic early in the game but lacks true stopping power, especially when you go against Org guys who don't cut and have great chins. Elbows don't serve a lot of purpose and eat into your cap, so they aren't trained. MT training gives small bonuses to secondaries so it's trained sparingly.

This. It drives me crazy having a guy stuck on useless or abysmal.

There's only one truly good reason to completely hold off sparring.

From what I gather, some managers ALWAYS start projects off with 110 MT, good kicks and punches, but no knees and elbows.

Clinch raping is a good tactic early in the game but lacks true stopping power, especially when you go against Org guys who don't cut and have great chins. Elbows don't serve a lot of purpose and eat into your cap, so they aren't trained. MT training gives small bonuses to secondaries so it's trained sparingly.

Well, actually the idea of that is to spar as less MT as possible. When you start 110 MT, punches, kicks and clinchwork, you still have to build striking defense to elite and the above 3 secondaries to elite too. This would probably be enough to get your MT to the needed level. Sparring MT gives points to elbows and knees which in long term might be like 40-50 points each - the difference is possibly having one more elite secondary in the end. As it stands now, I don't see much use of elbows and knees - they don't provide as much damage as they should and also since there aren't clinch game opponent predictions, you don't need to have diversity in the clinch - you will be perfectly fine with elite++ punches. I even start my grappling projects with 110 MT and yes, you have to wait more till they ready to fight but the end result looks a lot better to me. Best primary to spar is boxing, you gain mainly punches and striking defense so you could start with 1 boxing and spar it as much as you want once you are ready with your fighter's secondaries.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...