Autogenerated Previews

Mentioned this in the discord but want to know if people think it'd be worth it.

I recently created an app that reads in earthquake data from a UK earthquake tracking website. I had to cycle through XML, saving each relevant piece of information and then displaying it on the screen in various ways.

It got me thinking; why can't I do this with MMATycoon?

So my idea is that you put a event page's ID into my program. I then use the event page to save each fight ID. For each fight ID, I can access each fighter ID, and from there I could basically save each fighter's profile info. Things like height, weight, knockouts, submissions, manager, fight style etc.

After that, I'd basically create text similar to the way the game creates the fights in-game. I have a collection of different ways to display a piece of information, for example 3 variations on talking about height could be;

"FighterA has a big X inch height advantage over FighterB"

"FighterA stands at X feet tall while FighterB is Y"

"FighterB will be the smaller man, standing at Y feet tall compared to his opponents X"

It seems relatively easy to build in my head, and even though it wouldn't have anywhere near the creativity shown in the top writers, might be a good way to get some information out there and engage fighters for an event that is upcoming.

Do yous reckon it'd be worth making?

• Upvote 9

Being a writer myself, i think this is a fabulous idea...I mean, yeah the bigger orgs do have their own writers, who are all very creative in their own way, which results in a lot of discussion about their events in the forums...But at the same time, some of the newer or smaller organizations, don't really get much attention, and to some point, i feel that they get left out a bit. 

So yeah this is a great idea mate! 

2 hours ago, Curix said:

Sounds good for me. We need new things in this game.

Can you show maybe more examples of this new idea?

So the plan would be that I put in an ID into this app (I'm not too knowledgeable on deployment so for now let's just call it an app).

For example: https://www.mmatycoon.com/orgupcomingeventpublic.php?EvID=948216

This page gives me access to the Scouting Report for each fight. (The scouting report is just fighter ID Vs fighter ID but let's not complicate it).

For example: https://www.mmatycoon.com/scoutfight.php?fida=372561&fidb=372506

Now that I look closer, I don't actually need to go to the profiles next. All the information I need is available here; rounds, weight, title, height, skills, ranking, record, finish details.

So now imagine I have an application that has stored all of this information. 

From there, create a sort of write up structure. That structure could be something like;

INTRO

FIGHTER A FIGHTING STYLE

FIGHTER A RECORD

FIGHTER A KNOCKOUTS OR SUBMISSIONS (BASED ON FIGHTING STYLE)

FIGHTER B FIGHTING STYLE

FIGHYER B RECORD

FIGHTER B KNOCKOUTS OR SUBMISSIONS

FIGHTER A HEIGHT VS FIGHTER B HEIGHT

FIGHTER A FIGHTING STYLE VS FIGHTER B FIGHTING STYLE

IF THE TITLE IS ON THE LINE

Each of these "headings" could have multiple ways to say something, just like how if we call a punch landed in the MMATycoon fight text a "heading", it might say "Fighter A landed a nice jab" or "A jab lands on the nose of Fighter B".

So to give an example using the fight link I had above, for FIGHTER A FIGHTING STYLE, I could say;

"Torhte Finlayson is a consummate boxer, aiming to put his hands together and break through his opponent's guard"

"There's only one gameplan for Torhte Finlayson, and that's to throw hands. Boxing is his bread and butter and he'll be looking to rough his opponent up with his combinations from the start"

"There's no surprises what Torhte Finlayson is aiming for here. Face meet punch. Finlayson is going to throw leather from the very beginning and you have to think he's hoping for a spectacular knockout punch right away"

Imagine I have a section saying "If the fighter is a boxer...". If my app finds that the fighter is a boxer, which is easy because we know Finlayson is by his highest stat being boxing, I then randomly select a pre-loaded sentence to post. The 3 posted above are examples of what might be saved in my "If the fighter is a boxer..." scenario, so it would select one of those, and then move on to talk about his record.

The challenges I'd face is A) What if the fighter is a boxer, but his wrestling is higher because he's set up to defend takedowns more. B ) Clinch will be very hard to figure out. Might have to go a little bit deeper. C) I'd need to write A LOT of variations of each section to make sure we don't just get the same shit repeated constantly.

EDIT: Btw I'm absolutely SHITE at explaining stuff. Much better just coding it lmao. Another thing I could potentially add is a "super computer prediction". I have absolutely no idea what metrics I'd use to decide who is most likely to win, and of course it'd be very inaccurate anyways, but it'd be quite fun for the algorithm to predict who's going to win based on the stats. Hell it might turn out to be good and then I apply it to real MMA and become a millionaire haha. 

• Upvote 7