I won a free fighter IQ test in Spin and Win. How do I use it?

Bynum

5 minutes ago, MasterLeader said:

Click on spin & win and select a fighter at the bottom - then check your mail

Thank you!  I see it.  Now the hard choice of choosing which fighter to check-- I'd guess one of my young projects who if he scores low it would make sense just to give up and release him.

Okay, now just curiosity, because the one I chose scored 111, which on either scale would mean "keep him" (at least as to his IQ).

But is it the standard IQ scale where 100 is average (in which case he's just a little above normal) or the game's roll of learning speed, which would be 1-150 in which case he's not just a little above average but quite a bit above average, meaning "Hang on to him!!"? 

Edit:  I looked it up, and it apparently is on a normal scale with 100 as average...though people seemed to talk about it as in-fight IQ (as in whether to use "See how it goes") rather than learning speed.  Does anyone know which it is?  Being somewhat above average is good in either area, but it matters in where to use it.

There is a range of inaccuracy of +/- 10

So his true IQ could be 101-121.

I wouldn’t let IQ influence a decision to keep a fighter as you can always go 100% follow instructions and not adapt to fight. But if the fighter is borderline being sacked then it could be the nail in the coffin.

IQ doesn’t affect learning speed - if you’re VIP you can test that separately 

• Upvote 1

Okay, so it's intra-fight decision making, which I agree is less important than learning speed.

Still, if I'd come up with 75 or something I'd probably have sacked him, because in-fight intelligence affects the fighter's ability to go in for the kill when his opponent is rocked, too.  It isn't all not being able to use "see how it goes."  If it were learning speed and I came up with 90, meaning he was below average, and he was one of my 18 year old prospects, I'd still can him.  A 90 at in-fight intelligence I probably wouldn't unless he was otherwise borderline.

I feel really lucky to have won that prize.  I think it's one of the best prizes on the wheel.

This certainly means that this fighter I can go pretty high with See How It Goes, and he'll make decent adjustments.

8 hours ago, Unkwalker said:

Test IQ or test learning speed? How to do this?

PS. Wouldn't that topic be better in "Noob Help"?

Test learning speed - with Microsoft edge you can use “inspect element” to see how a skill develops from useless- -

Take the % and multiple by 150 - anything above 6.0 is good, anything below 6.0 is possibly sackable

• Upvote 1

On 5/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, Bynum said:

Apparently I get to choose a fighter and find out his learning speed, which was a fantastic thing to win.

But I don't see any button to use it, so...how do I?

only just saw this. Up to you going forward but IQ tests are as rare as rocking horse shit, I always leave them until I use with a fighter I already know I am going to keep based on other criteria

111 is good/decent but maybe your fighter is garbage and then it is a wasted iq test? Look out for messages like "particpated in documentary" etc as well, as this means the fighters IQ is high 

1 hour ago, Gator001 said:

only just saw this. Up to you going forward but IQ tests are as rare as rocking horse shit, I always leave them until I use with a fighter I already know I am going to keep based on other criteria

111 is good/decent but maybe your fighter is garbage and then it is a wasted iq test? Look out for messages like "particpated in documentary" etc as well, as this means the fighters IQ is high 

They're not rare - extremely common via Spin & Win - i had 3 spins this week and got another from 1. So i think i've had 3 IQ tests in my last 20 spins.

Also got 1 random IQ test via mail recently

lol ok

I have been playing most days for last three years and have had many many spins and IQ tests are hard to get

I have had runs when I have picked up 3 IQ tests in 20 spins in one day I have also gone months without getting an IQ test

Its up to you, but my advice is dont waste them

spins.JPG

2 hours ago, Gator001 said:

lol ok

I have been playing most days for last three years and have had many many spins and IQ tests are hard to get

I have had runs when I have picked up 3 IQ tests in 20 spins in one day I have also gone months without getting an IQ test

Its up to you, but my advice is dont waste them

spins.JPG

What is the "Overall" table out of interest?

On 5/13/2021 at 10:13 AM, Bynum said:

Okay, now just curiosity, because the one I chose scored 111, which on either scale would mean "keep him" (at least as to his IQ).

But is it the standard IQ scale where 100 is average (in which case he's just a little above normal) or the game's roll of learning speed, which would be 1-150 in which case he's not just a little above average but quite a bit above average, meaning "Hang on to him!!"? 

Edit:  I looked it up, and it apparently is on a normal scale with 100 as average...though people seemed to talk about it as in-fight IQ (as in whether to use "See how it goes") rather than learning speed.  Does anyone know which it is?  Being somewhat above average is good in either area, but it matters in where to use it.

The game IQ test score range is (roughly) between 80-150. I've never seen or heard anyone score below 80. So that would make the average 115 (and half).

13 hours ago, pjrfin said:

The game IQ test score range is (roughly) between 80-150. I've never seen or heard anyone score below 80. So that would make the average 115 (and half).

That's interesting, so it means anything below 100 is garbage in that hidden.  Before reading that I'd figure 95 was about average, so it shouldn't affect whether to keep him, how I use him, etc..

But actually a 95 would tell me he was clearly bad compared to most in in-fight adjustments so maybe sack him, or if I keep him don't "see how it goes" in his sliders much.

In response to other posts, I never thought to save it for when I really wanted to know about a specific fighter (though if I hadn't posted I'd have thought it was about learning speed; another thing I learned from this thread is that it is not; if it had been learning speed, then I'd have wanted to use it as I did-- take an 18 year old project and sack him if he was weak in it because he couldn't be much of a project with a slow learning speed-- but that isn't what this was).

I do think it's very rare, because it lists what the last several winners won and usually it's a small amount of in-game cash or a few dozen lottery tickets or something; and that's despite the fact that my (small amount of) experience is that more than half the time I don't win anything at all.  So winning a fighter IQ test seems quite rare.

Maybe the best are that one can win a few weeks of VIP or an extra fighter slot.  But as far as purely in-game prizes the fighter IQ test seems about the best I've seen in "recent winners."

I've also won a free custom avatar (I think I get one for free just for being VIP, so I have a second if I understand right) but I'm not much with photo shop so I don't know how to make one that would pass.

On 5/15/2021 at 12:01 PM, Bynum said:

That's interesting, ...

I've never sacked a fighter because of low IQ. But I also don't test it until I'm pretty sure I have a keeper any way. There are so many reasons to sack a prospect, and only a few reasons to keep them. If you get other good hiddens, low IQ can be worked with.

Like you said, winning IQ tests is rare. Not super duper rare, but still rare enough that you shouldn't spend them on just any fighter. And you can get some random tests sent to you through mail.

1 hour ago, Antary said:

What exactly IQ does is so incredibly vague that you definitely shouldn't keep or sack a fighter depending on the IQ test results.

To simplify, the 'See how it goes' slider leans into IQ pretty hard, can also help your AI trigger that an opponent is rocked to go for a finish, and it's absolutely a requirement of a grappler.

The reason it's not required is experienced managers generally set that slider to 100% follow my orders so the hidden doesn't see much play. From my antidotal evidence a grappler with low IQ will get the finish much less later in the game(when opponents have high/elite defense) compared to a fighter with higher IQ.

14 minutes ago, Shards said:

To simplify, the 'See how it goes' slider leans into IQ pretty hard, can also help your AI trigger that an opponent is rocked to go for a finish, and it's absolutely a requirement of a grappler.

The reason it's not required is experienced managers generally set that slider to 100% follow my orders so the hidden doesn't see much play. From my antidotal evidence a grappler with low IQ will get the finish much less later in the game(when opponents have high/elite defense) compared to a fighter with higher IQ.

I understand that that's what it does in theory, but that still leaves it extremely vague in practice. I had See How It Goes set to 100% on my fighters across a dozen or so fights now and I've never seen them deviate from the gameplan at all. Not on the feet nor on the ground.

• Downvote 1

I'd argue a dozen fights (presumably spread over a roster) is too small a sample size and not controlled enough as a testing method if I'm being honest with you. You'd need to consistently do this longer to likely produce a workable sample size. I never figured IQ was a stand alone hidden you can easily measure without a test, you can be the smartest dude on planet earth and it might not help you deal with an ass beating.

To me it's a hidden that usually isn't high impact alone but in conjunction with other hiddens can create potent fighters. In the case of getting a KO I think most people would be alright with assuming it's confidence and IQ can trigger a potent finisher. I think it can be hard to try and pinpoint it's exact value, completely antidotal but I assume it's usually plugged as a secondary factors in a handful of equations that would usually include more than 1 hidden. For this hidden to be useful it's AI needs to be both smart enough to 'recognize' the situation and also have the supporting trait(s) to do something about it.

Another example that could exist, you have max 150 IQ but rolled really poor heart - you set 100% shig but if that low heart fighter takes too much damage his game plan will change - to that of a punching bag and his IQ will not help you. In this sense I would agree with it's usually a 'win more' hidden and not something worth cutting over.

In a sense I'm mixing some level of math with an 'I would assume it's done this way' because I can't think of a single situation in fighting where IQ is the primary factor but a ton where it plays a role. I could be absolutely be wrong, once upon a time I thought combos were good for much the same reason and you could argue a dozen semi-controlled fights is more valuable than my experience, I'd alright with that.

You're right that just a dozen fights isn't really enough to prove anything one way or another. I don't think any number of fights would be enough to be certain when all the conditions and factors are as obfuscated as they are.

But what I was trying to say with my first post is that, since we know so little about the mechanics that are allegedly affected by IQ, I really wouldn't use it as the deciding factor for releasing or keeping a fighter.

• Downvote 1