I miss the Pride-days..

The UFC feels so watered down in comparison. They throw us the same unimaginative posters, the same trailers, the same biased, pain-in-the-ass commentators (everyone is amaaazing, amaazing striker, amaazing athlete etc), everyone's fighting styles are converging against something similar..

The Pride events had great production values, less annoying commentators, better marketing of the fighters, and they had a ring. Cages are for animals, not sportsmen. Who's with me?

I loved PRIDE. Great exciting fights. But what got me hooked was the VTR opening movies from the Japanese broadcasts and opening ceremonies and stuff. It was essentially MMA with a pro wrestling twist, but with real fights (except for Takada's wins.)

Meh, I prefer today's structure with more of the top fighters having the opportunity to face each other. Having Pride actually watered down competition in both Pride and UFC.

The UFC feels so watered down in comparison. They throw us the same unimaginative posters, the same trailers, the same biased, pain-in-the-ass commentators (everyone is amaaazing, amaazing striker, amaazing athlete etc), everyone's fighting styles are converging against something similar..

The Pride events had great production values, less annoying commentators, better marketing of the fighters, and they had a ring. Cages are for animals, not sportsmen. Who's with me?

I feel you and agree completely. Pride was something else. I liked the enterntainment value of it. The bridge, those gigantic screens and fireworks etcetcetc.

UFC just seems to be what it is. I've been twice in the UFC event here in europe and I was completely suprised that there were NOTHING else going on but the event itself. I mean NOTHIIIING. In cologne there was this one little t-shirt stand where you could buy ufc tees, great. I did expect more.

I loved PRIDE. Great exciting fights. But what got me hooked was the VTR opening movies from the Japanese broadcasts and opening ceremonies and stuff. It was essentially MMA with a pro wrestling twist, but with real fights (except for Takada's wins.)

+1 I also liked the annoying announcer lady.

One of the biggest differences between how pride approached mma and how the ufc has approached mma is that pride was all about the spectacle while the UFC was all about the sport. Creating the perception for the general public that mma is a legitimate sport was a huge priority for the ufc brass and one of the biggest reasons for why it's gone mainstream. With the exception of the superbowl, what other mainstream sports have that much pagentry? Only one that comes to mind is the WWE, the one 'sport' which the ufc needed to distance itself from the most. And mma belongs in a cage. I can't think of one good reason why it should be in a ring.. rings are for boxing and other standup sports where you dont have the possibility of trying to work through the ropes. It's like if you wanna watch football, you watch the nfl.. if you wanna see a spectacle, you watch the xfl.

Meh, I prefer today's structure with more of the top fighters having the opportunity to face each other. Having Pride actually watered down competition in both Pride and UFC.

i agree 100%

One of the things I find interesting about this conversation is the double-standard.

If the UFC did the show like PRIDE, people who call them out for copying WWE and for taking the sport backwards, etc. But if it happens in Japan, it's great and the UFC needs to do it. It just doesn't make sense.

The UFC is an exponentially better-run organization both professionally and for fans. Pride used to announce matches days before events. It was stupid.

Pride had it's high points and lows. The way they introduced the fights for the night was interesting and the fighter entrances were also pretty interesting. There were times when it got to be a bit over the top, but generally they were good. There are some rules like people have said made sense for the ring and would be down right dangerous in the cage, stomps and kicks to the head would be scary in the cage if a guy got pinned and had no where to go. Sometimes wish knees to the head on the ground where allowed, but can also see where that is hella dangerous. Definitely feel like most guys don't take advantage of knees to the body on the ground...

Soccer kicks and stamping is for saturday nights outside clubs and it's wrong even there. The ring is wrong for MMA as it's not practical having guys going under the ropes and getting tied up in them.

That said i did enjoy Pride, there was something about the atmosphere of it all.

There are not enough alternatives to the UFC, most of them have poor production values and seem a bit amateurish.

Strikeforce and one or two others excluded.

There are not enough alternatives to the UFC, most of them have poor production values and seem a bit amateurish.

Strikeforce and one or two others excluded.

Yeah, CBS/SHO's production values were always shit along with the director doing dumb shit. It's the same for EliteXC

DREAM really needs to teach other organizations how to handle production...

But more examples include Bodog. It look decent to a extent but the way they did things were just dumb and a massive waste of money. C level fighters in Costa Rica for example plus the places they held events at were fucking tiny.

I admit though I was glad EliteXC, IFL, and Bodog failed. Just a bunch of money marks looking to try to cash in on the hot thing.

cages >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rings

who wants to see a fight get paused every 30 seconds so they can move the fight back to the middle? weak.

and i hate how every entrance in japanese mma lasts like 20 minutes :(

and elbows being illegal is pretty weak.

all that being said, i still miss it though. now there's less top-level MMA out there to watch

first off i have to say that removing the soccer kicks and stomps waters it down abit for me and the ring no way cage is the best. it adds a new element to the game wether its working against the cage with the stand up the wrestling or on the ground. but the ground attacks like elbows knees stomps and kicks should all be in there only thing i might be aganst is knees to the head on the ground because anyone who ahs been in that position were tehy are vunerable to that kind of attack should know how easy it is to do more than just end a fight but serious damage. but kicks and stomps i know it might sound wierd to say that tehy should be there but other shouldnt i just think that it gives more versatility MMA is not hte kind of place were u can have no rules thats just a street fight and im not saying i havent ever fought outside of a cage and anyone who does is an animal cos most will have probably but it would definatly remove an aspect of skill from the sport. its about creating a balance between keeping the sport true and making it acceptable to the wider public i find that many orgs often have a problem. last thing the scoring for pride i prefer that trying to end the fight thats the way all MMA figfhts should be scored untill we get something better than the way we have right now (UFC of course) although i dont know what most of those judges look for anyway sometimes when you see certain decisions i wouldnt mind having them explain their decisions every once in a while like an official thing not just a chat on a MMA website

• 2 weeks later...

Rewatched a couple of fights yesterday. Love the way the audience is all silent..didn't seem like the below average intelligent, beer drinking UFC-fans who starts to boo and get bored if it's anything less then non-stop action. Love the Fedor-Fujita fight. The way the usually quiet japanese audience erupt into a thunderstorm when he almost knocked Fedor out. Good to hear Bas instead of Rogan too.

The introductions also had their charm, the way the japanese had a hard time pronouncing names :D

"JEMELJENK!...FYOOOOOODOOOOOO"