What are the most optimal stick positions for a submission artist?

Nutlord

Somewhat of a noob here, big MMA fan been playing since September.

So I've just created my first attempt at a submission artist with a purple belt in BJJ and a (9) in wrestling, made sure he had great subs. My first fight is against a guy who has a brown belt. So now I'm a bit torn between the stick positions, my other fighters are primarily boxers so I havent used them too much. I set mine to Guard Bottom as I plan to pull guard (didn't focus on TD offense) with a high counter and finish% from the bottom. Is this the best strategy against someone with slightly superior BJJ or should I try Back/None with the hopes that my guy will gain the best positions?

If your wrestling is much better than his, it might be beneficial to go for top position.  Guard bottom is a great spot if you just want to go sub-for-sub, but against a higher belt, that could be risky and he might just keep passing your guard.  I was in a similar situation fairly recently, and I left stick position open, but leaned my sliders towards bottom position, which can work similarly(I think.  I won, at least, hah.).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nutlord said:

Thanks for the reply. My wrestling is one point better, do you think if I should try Guard Bottom with the hopes of catching an armbar or go for Open?

I am not the expert in this by any means, but like I said, what I did in a very similar situation was leave stick position open and toggle a fairly strong ground bottom preference and the last two times I've went that route, it worked fairly well.  Sounds like a tough matchup.