BJJ: Gi or No-Gi

I've been doing BJJ No-gi for about 3 months now. In one month, I will have to move, so I won't be able to train at my school.

Where I'm going to move there is 2 schools that I'm interested in. One gives 2 No-Gi et 5 Gi classes and the other one 7 No-Gi classes.

The school are 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu in Montreal and Montreal BJJ.

I'm still wondering which one to choose.

Can anyone give me some feedback about both of them (Gi or No-Gi). I would appreciate any comments from the BJJ practionner.

Thx

If you go to 10th Planet, you're going to be learning Eddie Bravo's system of jiu-jitsu. While it's based off of traditional BJJ, Bravo's system puts a big emphasis on the rubber guard and less on other aspects of jiu-jitsu. The 10th Planet system uses a number of oddly named positions such as mission control and chill dog and teaches the student how to flow between those positions to control and submit the opponent.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the 10th Planet system. While there is certainly a lot of value to be gained from studying their techniques, I think it is better to get a firm foundation in the basics of BJJ first and then study the 10th Planet techniques if you find them interesting. Eddie also eschews the use of the gi entirely, so if you study there exclusively then your gi skills will obviously fall behind someone who studies traditional BJJ.

I think it is wise to study both gi and no gi, but it really is a personal choice that depends on what you want to get out of your jiu-jitsu training. If you are learning the art strictly to use it for MMA, then no gi is probably the way to go (at least for the majority of your training). But if you're looking to be a well-rounded student of the art, then I recommend starting with the gi.

Training with the gi is more technical and relies less on athleticism. There are many more techniques available with the gi on. I think it's much easier to move from gi to no gi than vice-versa. Learning to modify your grips when you go from gi to no gi isn't that difficult. But if you go from no gi to gi, you'll have no clue how to handle the collar grips, lapel chokes, etc.

Therefore, I'd recommend going with Montreal BJJ. I don't know anything about that school, so you should certainly look into them to verify the level of the instructors and their lineage. You don't want to get stuck training with some fool who says he's a brown belt in BJJ when all he's really done is attend a couple of seminars. I doubt that's the case with Montreal BJJ, but it's definitely worth some basic due diligence.

Your dilemma is one of reasons that Brazilians continue to be superior to Americans in ground fighting.

Training with a Gi makes your game tight and will make your transition to and cross training of No-Gi/MMA much easier.

I disagree with the poster above me about needing less athleticism. Training with a gi is just different. Jiu-jitsu in general doesn't require athleticism, but with a gi the constant pulling and gripping by your opponent can be tough and will result in you feeling refreshed when you do no-gi. It will improve your cardio also.

I say do both. The best guys in MMA and no-gi grappling have.

I hate training with a Gi, but I love the fact that it makes me twice as good as just doing no-gi

Your dilemma is one of reasons that Brazilians continue to be superior to Americans in ground fighting.

Training with a Gi makes your game tight and will make your transition to and cross training of No-Gi/MMA much easier.

I disagree with the poster above me about needing less athleticism. Training with a gi is just different. Jiu-jitsu in general doesn't require athleticism, but with a gi the constant pulling and gripping by your opponent can be tough and will result in you feeling refreshed when you do no-gi. It will improve your cardio also.

I say do both. The best guys in MMA and no-gi grappling have.

I hate training with a Gi, but I love the fact that it makes me twice as good as just doing no-gi

Training with a Gi will DEF. bump up your cardio...that ish is quite heavy over doing it with no Gi, i agree with that

I was always told training with the GI with make your game tighter and more technical. And yea def easier to go from GI to no Gi thent he other way around. Plus for self defense purposes, a lot of ppl will be wearing coats/jeans/collared shirts, so i feel GI is def practically applicaple. I think most traditional BJJ guys only train no GI like once a week, i could be wrong.

So my vote is for GI. Plus i found grabbing onto the GI really improved my hand strength, just as an added bonus.

I only started about 6 months ago and it has been 100% with gi. I come from a boxing background and have had many issues with damaging my hands to the point of nearly every fight I was breaking something and they became incredibly delicate. I have found though that in the time I have been grappling my hands, wrists and fingers have been getting a lot stronger and I feel this when I go back to light sparring in the ring. I can't imagine this would have had the same effect if it had been no gi grappling I had been doing.

And just to add to what the others have said, I have been told by guys I train with that it is quite easy to move to no gi but the other way is a struggle.

I am sure Eddie Bravo's style is good, but if Montreal has a black belt take it. 10th planet teaches odd techniques that simply don't do it for me, I bought Eddie's book and did not like the techniques, they seemed to not really make sense and the rubber guard in my personal opinion is not the best guard nor is it one I use much. I'd take Montreal BJJ over 10th planet personally. Also take the Gi Classes because the belt system helps you know where you are at if you plan to do it successfully in MMA, and competition BJJ is a hell of a lotta fun and you may find thats more your thing, with that said they have no-gi as well, but Gi is a good starter program.

Alright, thx for all your reply everyone. Very appreciated.

I think I'll go learn some traditionnal BJJ for 3 months. (I'll have to buy a Gi :( ) And then I will do 1 month with 10th planet to learn some specialize technique in no-gi.

Well in traditional BJJ you'll have no gi days you can train. And i feel like 3 months is a pretty s hort amount of time to train before switching. IMO you should probably stick wiht one a little longer then that. I'd say it takes most guys a year to get a blue belt.