Yoga - your thoughts?

ktownkickdoctor

I'm starting to become a little disenchanted with yoga. Cardio and weights pop their respective attirbutes extremely quickly, but my fighters' flexiblity and balance have been progressing relatively slowly with yoga classes.

So far I've been dumping most of my starting points into speed and agility as I figured these were the hardest to increase. I'm starting to think that I might need more flexibility and balance to start with.

Anyone else experienced this?

Make sure your fighter has his energy up, I have noticed this on my fighters with low energy i used to put them on Yoga to recover them, they did not imporve at all. My fighters with high energy ended up popping in their flex, agility, balance skill levels!

Make sure your fighter has his energy up, I have noticed this on my fighters with low energy i used to put them on Yoga to recover them, they did not imporve at all. My fighters with high energy ended up popping in their flex, agility, balance skill levels!

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but, Yoga does use up energy like any other training type. It's not really a rest and recovery thing.

Other than that I agree with you, make sure your fighters aren't training their physicals with less than say 85% Energy (I never let my fighters energy drop below 80% when training). This will maximize your return on time invested.

This.

Tbh, Im not doing much joga these days. It's just too slow. ;P

same here. i toss one in sometimes if it makes sense to do so. for example, if i'm at about 96.5% energy and have two sessions left before a fight, i'll do a yoga session and then rest and still be at 100% for the fight. if i were to do any other type of training i'd lose too much energy and wouldn't be at 99-100% energy for the fight.

otherwise i just try to do circuits instead.

Yoga makes a good filler for a spar-heavy schedule. You can do like... spar in the morning yoga in the evening every day of the week and still be above 90% energy saturday night.

Conditioning coaches might give slightly better results per session but there's no way you'd be able to do 6 sparring and 6 circuit training sessions in a week and keep your energy high too.

When people say train yoga over 90-95% they mean it. I have seen some improvements from my guys when you follow that rule. I haven't trained it a whole lot, but when I have, there were improvements in the respective areas.

I had one fighter train all week in yoga before his fight and he was not only more flexible, but he was also able to summon the power of the upcoming thunder storm and focus it into a HadouKen!

His oppoent left the ring charred and confused.

What gym was he in? :lol: