Red Belts

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In game, it should be possible, but should a really long time.

In game, we don't know when it is award yet, correct? If that is true, for all we know it might be that it requires that BJJ be all the way to 150 to earn a Red Belt.

It was more like a clash from 1993.

You act like there were actually good MT fighters involved in the early UFCs. My fighter is authentic though. Great BJJ, minimal wrestling, hilarious "striking".

Tzlot is actually pretty badly built. I dont know what to do with him, he has too much potential to just drop him, but is about a month or two away from being competent to even fight in the middle tier competition. i picked him up when I first started because I saw his MT was 134 and I assumed he would be good but to my disappointment he's terrible. i dont know what his original owner was thinking when he accepted a fight against black belt.

Some of you people need to look more closely at the Gracies. Once you weed through the propaganda, they show their true colors. Renzo is one of the few decent ones in the clan.

My personal favorite was when, I believe it was Rorion who said that Sakuraba was a coward for only fighting Royce standing. He said that Royce fought Sakuraba standing where he was at a disadvantage but when Royce flopped to his back, Sakuraba should have been honorable enough to fight him on the ground where supposedly, Royce would have had the advantage. He claimed it was unfair and unsportsmanlike despite the fact that Royce coudn't take him down.

Either that or how the Gracies still claimed to be undefeated as a family well into the 90's despite Helio's well documented losses to Kimura and Waldemar Santana.

ok, first of all i think if you go to 150 on bjj you should be an black/red belt, not totally red, totally red should be only if bjj is at 150 and sub offense and defense are at least sensational imo, because "In Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the red belt is reserved “for those whose influence and fame takes them to the pinnacle of the art."

"It is awarded in lieu of a 9th and 10th degree black belt (identical to the art of Judo). Assuming that someone received his or her black belt at 19 years old (the minimum age to receive a black belt under the IBJJF's graduation system) the earliest they could expect to receive a 9th degree red belt would be at the age of 67."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Jiu...ck_and_red_belt

so basically it should be impossible to get, but i guess if you have 150 bjj and 150 in both sub and def grapple then i guess it should be ok lol, or as I said at least sensational on both

Some of you people need to look more closely at the Gracies. Once you weed through the propaganda, they show their true colors. Renzo is one of the few decent ones in the clan.

My personal favorite was when, I believe it was Rorion who said that Sakuraba was a coward for only fighting Royce standing. He said that Royce fought Sakuraba standing where he was at a disadvantage but when Royce flopped to his back, Sakuraba should have been honorable enough to fight him on the ground where supposedly, Royce would have had the advantage. He claimed it was unfair and unsportsmanlike despite the fact that Royce coudn't take him down.

Either that or how the Gracies still claimed to be undefeated as a family well into the 90's despite Helio's well documented losses to Kimura and Waldemar Santana.

All this is true, but it hardly makes 99% of what they do dishonorable. Royce is a poor loser and an allaround ass -- anybody who takes steroids falls in that category. Rickson -- although he is certainly a great fighter -- makes some ridiculous claims about his unbeaten streak. And there are other members of the family who have done shady and/or dishonorable things. But many members have done honorable and great things. To say 99% of what they do is dishonorable is as foolish as falling for the blind hero worship that some heap upon the family. They're human -- some are good, some are awful and most fall in between.

You say Renzo is one of the few decent ones. But how many members of the family have you met and/or trained with? I've met a handful and trained with a couple, and in my experience they are extremely nice, helpful and humble. Royler is an amazingly friendly, approachable person -- as is Renzo. Some of my training partners have worked with many members of the family, and I have yet to hear a bad story about any of them. But as I said, they're human. Some are nice and some are asses. I think it's absurd to idolize them like some sort of deity, but by the same token the way you vilify them is just as ridiculous.

All this is true, but it hardly makes 99% of what they do dishonorable. Royce is a poor loser and an allaround ass -- anybody who takes steroids falls in that category. Rickson -- although he is certainly a great fighter -- makes some ridiculous claims about his unbeaten streak. And there are other members of the family who have done shady and/or dishonorable things. But many members have done honorable and great things. To say 99% of what they do is dishonorable is as foolish as falling for the blind hero worship that some heap upon the family. They're human -- some are good, some are awful and most fall in between.

You say Renzo is one of the few decent ones. But how many members of the family have you met and/or trained with? I've met a handful and trained with a couple, and in my experience they are extremely nice, helpful and humble. Royler is an amazingly friendly, approachable person -- as is Renzo. Some of my training partners have worked with many members of the family, and I have yet to hear a bad story about any of them. But as I said, they're human. Some are nice and some are asses. I think it's absurd to idolize them like some sort of deity, but by the same token the way you vilify them is just as ridiculous.

Way too refined and reasoned. Much easier to pain with one of these : http://blog.menupirate.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/paint-brush.jpg

Yeah damn those gracies for creating a Martial Art that is both one of the most effective self-defense weapons in a one on one fight and the most effective martial art in mixed martial arts compettiton.

Ok - this is the only thing i wannna concentrate on right now!

I teach self defence to both kids and adults and in any self defence situation the single worst thing you can do is go to ground!

Before anyone throws out the statistic that 80% of street fights goto ground, thats because 90% of people that are involved in street fights have no Martial Arts or self defence training. It is always better to stay on your feet, you can move quicker, attack harder and get away better.

I do agree that should you be on the floor yopu should always have some form of defence, but again (IMO) i would GnP - attack is the best form of defence.

Some of the moves that BJJ has brought are truely amazing and the way they work the body is a sheer work of art, but self defence it is not...

Ok - this is the only thing i wannna concentrate on right now!

I teach self defence to both kids and adults and in any self defence situation the single worst thing you can do is go to ground!

Before anyone throws out the statistic that 80% of street fights goto ground, thats because 90% of people that are involved in street fights have no Martial Arts or self defence training. It is always better to stay on your feet, you can move quicker, attack harder and get away better.

I do agree that should you be on the floor yopu should always have some form of defence, but again (IMO) i would GnP - attack is the best form of defence.

Some of the moves that BJJ has brought are truely amazing and the way they work the body is a sheer work of art, but self defence it is not...

Keep in mind there is a difference between BJJ for sport and for self defense. Most of the people that think BJJ is bad for self defense think instructors encourage people to pull guard in a bar fight becuse they see it in the ring. This is not true. Jiu-jitsu for self defense involves kicks to the knees, elbows, countering strikes with hip throws and trips. a lot of really useful stuff that all takes place standing up and gives you the ability to choose to go to the ground and be on top when you get there. They even teach doing a double leg takedown without touching your knee to the ground, so you can bring a guy down if you need to, not hurt your knee on hard surfaces, and choose if you want to go to the ground or not. The Gracies said fights typically go to the ground, so you should learn how to fight when it gets there, not to fight on the ground with everybody that threatens you. Also you learn one of the most important things of all when training jiu-jitsu for sport or self defense, HOW TO FALL PROPERLY. The Gracies forgot to mention that most fights are also over when it hits the ground cause people that dont train grappling tend to fall funny on concrete and injure themselves very badly.

It's also very likely that a bigger person would be the one that started the trouble in a street fight situation. A 235 lb guy doesn't have to know martial artist to knockout or injure someone half their size. This is where jiu-jitsu succeeds and where other self defense arts based on biting, nut grabbing, and stiking fail. Overcoming a larger opponent. Your quickness and ability to stirke and get away better won't matter if you are in a crowded area either or cornered.

At the end of the day it's better to know the ins and outs of striking and grappling if you think your gonna be in a fight, but if you have to pick one..........

Also, having a grappling background helps you immensely if you happen to somehow end up on the ground. The ability to get out of horrible positions, and thus get up, really helps, don't you agree?

You also have great training in restraining opponents without mangling them. This keeps the police from hauling your sorry ass to jail.

Oh, and by the way, try to get off any kinds of decent GnP without a dominant position.

No.

The gracies are to martial arts , as to ferrari is to cars.

You are wrong. And, so is the comparison of the Gracies to MMA and Ford to cars.

You can't compare the Gracies to Ferraris because that would mean that the Gracies are the best or one of the best group of fighters in MMA, like Ferraris are the best cars or some of the best cars in the world today.

And, one can't compare the Gracies to MMA like Ford to cars, because that would mean that all Gracies had something to do with making the sport great.

It's more like: Helio is to Jiu Jitsu, what Ford is to cars. Because, Helio took something that already existed and made it his own and improved it significantly, hence, the creation of BJJ.

And, BJJ is to MMA, what the rubber tire is to cars. MMA can't do without BJJ, just like a car can't do without its tires.

Anyway, there is no disrespect in having red belts awarded for BJJ in this game. It would be disrespectful if they were actually using the Gracie name, though. And, come one, it's just a game, lighten up.

You are wrong. And, so is the comparison of the Gracies to MMA and Ford to cars.

You can't compare the Gracies to Ferraris because that would mean that the Gracies are the best or one of the best group of fighters in MMA, like Ferraris are the best cars or some of the best cars in the world today.

And, one can't compare the Gracies to MMA like Ford to cars, because that would mean that all Gracies had something to do with making the sport great.

It's more like: Helio is to Jiu Jitsu, what Ford is to cars. Because, Helio took something that already existed and made it his own and improved it significantly, hence, the creation of BJJ.

And, BJJ is to MMA, what the rubber tire is to cars. MMA can't do without BJJ, just like a car can't do without its tires.

Anyway, there is no disrespect in having red belts awarded for BJJ in this game. It would be disrespectful if they were actually using the Gracie name, though. And, come one, it's just a game, lighten up.

Best post in the thread. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a great art and an effective tool. But on the whole, the Gracies are propaganda spewing pieces of fecal matter whose only concern is money. In Brazil, they were known as a violent gang in the 1980s who were notorious for starting fights just to prove their superiority. Naturally, Rickson was at the center of this.

lol, this thread defenetly got all out of topic with the whole selfe defense thing and gracie compared to cars and what not lol, but the focus of the thread is red belt, and pls read what i posted before, that IMO is what we should consider when talking about red belts in game lol

Best post in the thread. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a great art and an effective tool. But on the whole, the Gracies are propaganda spewing pieces of fecal matter whose only concern is money. In Brazil, they were known as a violent gang in the 1980s who were notorious for starting fights just to prove their superiority. Naturally, Rickson was at the center of this.

Just wanted to make it clear, and no offense to you PSUMike, but I do not support the above statements. I agree, some of the things the Gracies do are questionable, like when Helio was arrested for his part in an attack on a gymnastics teacher, Manoel Rufino Dos Santos, in which they left him with a broken arm and broken ribs. But, that doesn't change the fact that the man created something wonderful.

I think its disrespectful for a game to give fighters bjj red belts, when only a few men will EVER get to hold a red belt.

I mean even Rickson Gracie will never wear one, but a 24 year old computer simulation will :rolleyes:

Even Rickson Gracie... Hahaha! It's a game, you ass. I just love it when people bring up Rickson Gracie to prove a point.

There is many red belts out there. Hell i'm even going to train under one! So don't be all pissy if a game has a red belt in it. It would be if it was a name of a person who had one.