Gamasi Smack Talk

G-Co is proud to present G-Co 19: Chambers vs Ulrich. The event is taking place in Hayashi Lounge – Las Vegas on 10 Jan 2015. This is gonna be a fan pleasing event as there are many exciting fighters in the card and don’t forget there is a LW title fight on the line for the co-main event. The reigning champion Garuda Meow is going to defend his title against the tough challenger Joe Malenko. I bet you fight fans can’t wait for this card right? And what about enjoy the preview first!

BW bout: Darwingh Alvarez (2-6) vs Brittany Gipson (0-4)

First fight to start off the card we have two fighters who want to get out of the losing streak so bad. Alvarez won first two fights in his career but lost next six. He is a decent wrestler with BJJ blue belt but seems like he can’t use his ground game as his advantage. Gipson is a decent Muaythai fighter with BJJ blue belt and he is winless in his MMA career so far. I believe Alvarez can utilize his wrestling to expose Gipson. Gipson’s biggest weakness is his wrestling and Alvarez can take him down easily and beat him to the decision. Gipson has striking advantage but I don’t think he is a hard hitter as he didn’t show any KO ability to turn things around while losing fights so he only can outstrike Alvarez before getting ragdolled.

Prediction: Alvarez by Unanimous Decision

BW bout: Keef Hash (0-0) vs Brayan Fernandez (1-4)

This fight is an obvious squash match so I don’t need any further analysis. As a 20 year old project, Hash has world class skillsets but Fernandez is only a decent wrestler with BJJ blue belt. Hash can beat Fernandez with any way he wants.

Prediction: Hash by 1st round KO

FW bout: Solomon Kane (0-0) 1NC vs Antero Vipunen (0-1)

Two green, young fighters are going to clash. Kane is an excellent boxer and Vipunen is a BJJ purple belt. Both men are looking for the first win in their MMA career so they would be really hungry and try to kill eachother. Kane has all the skills to KO Vipunen and Vipunen has all the skills to tap Kane out. It’s a toss up but Kane at least has a BJJ blue belt so I am confident that he can defend Vipunen’s submission attempts in early round and finish him in second round.

Prediction: Kane by 2nd round TKO

FW bout: Rodrigo Cabral (0-0) vs Chad Murray (1-0)

Another fight between two young guns. Cabral is a wonderful Muaythai striker and Murray is a world class boxer. This is a striking battle with no question and I can see Murray getting a KO victory. Cabral has no fights under his belt so I don’t know is he a clinch fighter or kicker but I believe Murray can utilize his world class boxing and devastating punches to stop Cabral in the 1st round.

Prediction: Murray by 1st round KO

HW bout: Eat Die (1-1) vs Slade Traylor (2-0)

This fight just looks like another squash match like one of the previous fight. Die is a BJJ brown belt but Traylor has decent boxing, world class Muaythai, decent wrestling and BJJ blue belt. Looks like Die can tap Traylor out easily on the ground but he has really weak wrestling so he won’t take Traylor down and Traylor can utilize his huge striking advantage to finish Die in 1st round.

Prediction: Traylor by 1st round KO

LW bout: Raine Del Silvan (1-0) vs Oliver Queen (2-2)

This is a stylistic matchup between a wrestler and a boxer. Del Silvan is a powerful GnP wrestler. Queen is a boxer but his gameplan is very interesting. He loves to pull guard and dirty box. Anyway I think Del Silvan can win this fight easily as Queen pulled guard against a BJJ brown belt and got tapped out. Del Silvan is a wrestler and he would be very happy that he doesn’t need to attempt a takedown to get on top. Queen will dirty box but I believe Del Silvan can take him down from the clinch with his great wrestling. With his powerful GnP and ground control, he will finish Queen by GnP in 2nd round

Prediction: Del Silvan by 2nd round TKO

BW bout: Massa Kausi (1-1) vs Walt Brown (2-1)

Young Muaythai sensation Kausi is fighting the BJJ talent Brown. Kausi has world class Muaythai but he has no ground game at all. Brown will have too much wrestling ability to take him down and he can finish Kausi very easily on the ground. Kausi can easily beat Brown in striking but his takedown defense had been exposed by a BJJ blue belt with weak wrestling so I am confident that Brown can take him down early and tap him out in the first round.

Prediction: Brown by 1st round submission

HW bout: Jacques Saint-Perrilloux (2-0) vs Scott Baillie (4-1)

Um……third squash match of the night. JSP is a 22 year old project with high level overall stats comparing to Baillie who is only an excellent Muaythai fighter with BJJ blue belt. JSP can beat him anyway he wants.

Prediction: Saint-Perrilloux by 1st round TKO

Co-main event

LW title fight: Joe Malenko (4-0) vs Garuda Meow (5-0) ©

For the co-main event we have a LW title fight between the once-defended champion Meow and the tough challenger Malenko. Both men are undefeated in their MMA career so who will take the another’s zero? That’s gonna be very intriguing to know. The champ is a BJJ brown belt with effective submission skills. All of his 5 wins are by submission and four are within first round. He just keep destroying his victims in his career. Anyway, the champ’s second title defense won’t be easy as Malenko is a very dangerous matchup for him. Malenko is well-rounded comparing to the champ. He has nice boxing, excellent wrestling and a purple belt in BJJ. Malenko has heavy hands and he can score a finish over Meow in standup but I believe Meow can beat him easily on the ground as Meow has no problem out-grappling and tapping fellow BJJ brown belt Paddy McCracken. But here is a question, is Meow able to take the fight to the ground? I don’t think so actually because Malenko has way better wrestling. So if Malenko doesn’t try to take the fight to the ground, he can claim the belt easily with a easy TKO I believe.

Prediction: Malenko by 1st round TKO to become the new G-Co LW champion

MAIN EVENT

WW bout: Nathan Chambers (6-3) vs Javier Ulrich (12-5)

This is the main event of the evening ladies and gentlemen! This fight is between the hard hitting Chambers and the BJJ wizard Ulrich. Chamber has decent boxing and high level wrestling. He was a wrestler in his early career and has good success with it but in his last few fights he decided to be a boxer. Even though his boxing isn’t world class, he always can able to score some TKO victories with his heavy hands. He has 5 wins of 6 total wins are coming by way of strikes so he really has some good power in his hands. While Chambers loves to score knockouts, Ulrich loves to tap guys out. As a BJJ brown belt, Ulrich has a lot of success in his career. He is the former Death Squad MMA Welterweight champion and he scared all of his victims with his submission techniques. Yeah, all of his 12 wins are by submission that’s why he can be a dominate a division for a while. I always think Ulrich is a brown belt but has the black belt intensity so I am so confident that he can be the victor in main event. Chambers’ wrestling is really good but his TDD is suspect. Ulrich has good takedowns so I give him a good chance. Once Ulrich hits a takedown, the fight is over.

Prediction: Ulrich by 1st round submission

Can’t wait for the event! See you guys on Saturday night!

• Upvote 2

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/0/14079320719021.jpg

GIMLI DACHUBBYONE

"Let uz just introduce misself formally ta thee lotta ya. Ah'm Gimli, 'n ah'm th'ardest bloke ont' planet. Lou Mazzeur, ya' may av beyten uz once, bur ya won't gerr 'tha chance agin. Afta ah dispose o' Mark Calloway dis month, ah'm comin fert title. 'N ahl gerr it."

(medieval voice)... lol

• Upvote 1

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/1/1w3.jpg

"Title Hunter" Santiago Palmer

"Paddy McCracken showed that he was a better grappler in our first meeting but I will show him something special in the rematch. Paddy, you are good on the ground but do you think I will get triangle'd again? I am not a stupid wrestler like Mark Coleman who got armbar'd twice by Fedor in same position. I keep learning from losses. I will show you the power of my mount. Yes, in full guard I will be eaten but on mount I am unstoppable. I owned Marcelo Garcia and Andre Galvao with my mount in BJJ sparring yesterday so you better stay busy regaining guard or I will mount you and hry hump you! "

G-Co 18 Review!

There was just under a 90% attendance for Gamasi Fighting Company 18 at The Underground in Las Vegas where the crowd witnessed a night off finishes and surprises.

The night started with the debutant Jonas Diaz (1-0-0) blasting past Japanese grappler Akiba Toushikama (0-2-0) in less than 30 seconds. Diaz showed remarkable confidence for such a young fighter as he had his opponent on the floor before the finish but instead of going for the kill, stood back and waved his opponent back to his feet. The finish from that point was inevitable and came courtesy of a giant hook.

Tyler Vex (2-1-0) overcame the challenge of Tahj “Chaos” Rayno (0-3-0) in a technical contest. The first round was a bitty affair that never quite got going as both fighters were clearly remembering their previous losses. Vex was the first to come out of that malaise and established his range for much of the rest of the fight without ever really looking like he could finish Rayno. The judges gave Vex all three rounds on the scorecard and will go away knowing he needs to do more if he is going to be noticed in the 170 lbs division.

Jiji Lah Troth Tohlah (3-6-0) taught everyone in G-Co about the dangers of a one sided game plan as he lost a decision to former pro boxer Matt “Old News” Pacquiao (3-1-0). Bangkok native Tohlah went for a remarkable 21 takedowns in the fight yet only landed a quarter of those attempted. Even more bizarre is his decision to stand up twice once he had established the dominant position at the end of the first round.

The fight should have been over way earlier but Pacquiao’s inexperience told as he constantly looked for the kill shot. Still he won’t walk away too unhappy as he is the one with his hand raised at the end.

Former Super Heavyweight contender Big Dipper (4-3-0) suffered a major blow in his hopes of getting another shot at the belt after being caught in a beautiful kimura applied by Antonio “Monster” Johnson (8-10-0). The first two rounds were a classic striker vs. grappler match up with Dipper having early success with strikes on to find himself on the floor and controller by the experienced Johnson.

So what was going through his mind when he pulled guard early in the third round is anyone’s guess! Perhaps tiredness played its part but once given the gift of time to work, Johnson methodically worked the positions and ultimately the victory.

Undefeated Iwao Wada (3-0-0) announced his contender status with a big win over Murilo “Cobra” Brito (4-6-1).

Brito cut Wada early but instead of capitalising on the opportunity, the more experienced man lost his cool and presented Wada with the easy takedown. This lead to an intelligible scramble where two bodies moulded into a whirling mass until finally the referee intervened. Later observation shows that Brillo going for the highly technical chimera from the bottom but Wada reversed the position for his own version of the move which lead to the eventual tap.

Astonishingly, the opening to the main card also finished with a kimura.

This was always going to be a fight where top position mattered and it was Anderson “The GFC Champ” Weidman (8-1-0)who dominated in that area which meant it was only a matter of time before Zack Hairi (3-1-0) succumbed. Hairi should be given a lot of credit for surviving the first round as he took Weidman’s onslaught for a nearly the entire first round but such heroics are rarely repeatable.

Eduardo “Badass” Silva (6-4-0) bounced back from his G-Co 12 title defeat with a first round TKO victory over another G-Co mainstay Terry “The Flying Jap” Akki (3-2-0). Silva established his range from the opening bell and was able to pepper Akki with a mixture of strikes that left the Japanese fighter off balance and unable to conjure any of his own offence. Eventually it was Akki’s desperation to land anything that cost him the fight as Silva timed a lovely counter that sent Akki to the floor where Silva finished with his usual potency.

Axel Rose (2-2-0) surprised everyone when he even engaged with Carlos “The Special” Ulrich (4-3-0) on the floor as he was thought to be the much better stand up fighter going into the fight. He then shocked the world when he slapped on the Triangle arm choke to prove himself to be superior ground fighter as well. Rose will look up at the top fighters in the division while Ulrich must know he needs to be a more complete fighter after going 0-2 so far at G-Co.

Blink and you’ll miss it was the story of the co-main event of the evening as Da “Beast” Skrumbo (5-1-0) snapped Leandro “Brodinho” Issa’s (3-1-0) unbeaten streak in just 5 seconds.

Such explosiveness is hard to forget as Skrumbo landed a series of stiff jabs and a hook before the bell’s reverberations had even stopped echoing around the hall before landing an overhand right that Issa a crumpled heap on the floor. Is there any doubt that Skrumbo will get one of the fighters who gets a shot at the inaugural title at 135?

Technique undermined raw power as the main event saw Kagen Knight (7-4-0) finish off Valentin “The Snitch” Hadjiev (9-6-0) with seconds left of the second round.

Hadjiev came into the fight with a clear game plan to take his opponent to the floor and try and land the devastating ground and pound that has brought all nine of his victories so far in his career. The first part, taking Knight to the ground, was perfectly executed at the start of both rounds but landing anything proved to be almost impossible for the brutal Bulgarian. Knight masterfully controlled posture and received almost no damage despite being on his back for almost three quarters of the entire fight.

The fight turned half way through round two after a referees stand up. Knight, now fully prepared for Hadjiev’s takedowns, rode out each attempt and landed leather each time the two broke position. The combination of damage and fatigue could be seen on Hadjiev’s face as the round was coming to an end as a crisp straight caught him in the eye leaving him completely exposed to the following strike that ended the fight.

In the later press conference, Gamasi owner Gabriel Manhaes announced that Knock out of the Night would go, unsurprisingly, to Da “Beast” Skrumbo who also shared in the Fight of the Night bonus as well alongside Leandro “Brodinho” Issa. Submission of the Night went to Iwao Wada after the super scramble earlier in the night.

by: E J Gray

• Upvote 2

Gamasi is proud to present the G-Co BULLET PROOF SYSTEM Power Ranking on 12th January:

135: Champ -

#1 Da Skrumbo

#2 Mako Choliman

#3 James Granger

#4 Kimbo Slice

#5 Mega Minion

145: Champ -

#1 The Hound

#2 Rodney Carney

#3 Anderson Weidman

#4 Eoghan Condon

#5 Louis Prince

155: Champ - Joe Malenko

#1 Paddy McCracken

#2 Kevin Johnson

#3 Raine del Silvan

#4 David Datsik

#5 Garuda Meow

170: Champ - Lewis Scott

#1 Nathan Chambers

#2 Jack Jone

#3 Rocco Balboa

#4 Eduardo Silva

#5 Joe Bone

185: Champ - Raine Lovelair

#1 Donovan Robertson

#2 Iwao Wada

#3 Kagen Knight

#4 Axl Rose

#5 Valentin Hadjiev

205: Champ - Rocky Balboa

#1 Ragnar Sigurdsson

#2 Lop Lopp

#3 Bjorn Borg

#4 Ray Rice

#5 Oruku Saki

265: Champ - Paddy Knuckles

#1 Dave Brown

#2 Sayan Sever

#3 Lucian Silvestre

#4 Jaques Saint-Perriloux

#5 Slade Traylor

265+: Champ - Lou Mazza

#1 Fernando Ramires

#2 Gunner Hilton

#3 John Atoya

#4 Mark Calloway

#5 Gimli Dachubbyone

• Upvote 3

Gamasi is proud to present the G-Co BULLET PROOF SYSTEM Power Ranking on 12th January:

265: Champ - Paddy Knuckles

#1 Dave Brown

#2 Sayan Sever

#3 Lucian Silvestre

#4 Jaques Saint-Perriloux

#5 Slade Traylor

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/0/14161216192435.png

Since everyone is booked up, i would really love a chance to put Paddy Knuckles to sleep... I dont care if it isnt for the title. This has become personal...

Bossman? Let me break this guys face!

• Upvote 2

G-Co 20 Preview. by E J Gray.

Gamasi Fighting Company, in association with Bullet Proof System, will be making Vegas that little bit brighter on the 14th of January when it presents G-Co 20: Robertson vs Lovelair. Two championships will be decided alongside a full card of 10 fights that will surely determine the future direction of this burgeoning organisation.

It’s not unusual for a MMA fighter to make his debut fight as the curtain jerker, in fact it happens all the time. This is the case withTom “The Unusual” Jones (0-0-0). Opposing the newcomer will be Orlin Jrr (0-2-0) who suffered a nasty submission loss in his first outing in G-Co. It is difficult to know what to expect from Jones’s but rumour has it that he will be looking to stand and bang with Jrr, who will surely drag the fight to the floor despite his previous experience.

Bobby “Blow Blow” Pacquiao (0-2-0) has never fought outside G-Co but there is a real threat that he will have to drop back down to the regional level if he can’t pull off the victory against G-Co debutant Julian Eduardo Demaestri (1-0-0). Demaestri is a dominant ground and pound artist who will be looking to show off his undoubted potential in this fight. For Pacquiao to win he must keep this fight on the feet.

Local sideshow attraction Boyd “The Powerhouse” Lowe (3-8-0) will try and abate his seven fight losing streak against German Jurgen Weller (2-4-0). Lowe, all 5 feet 9 inches of bowling ball notoriety pulled off a series of shock wins early in his heavyweight career and that infamy has remained. Expect a big welcome for the lad but is is more than likely that his fans will go away disappointed.

Polished youngster Scrappy Dew (1-0-0) will look to consolidate his position as one of the company’s most promising prospects when he takes on fellow youth Alasdair “One Desperate Mother” Thacker (3-2-0) in a middleweight match up. Both men are capable of imposing their fists on opponents but most believe Dew will have a notable advantage if the fight hits the floor. The question is whether Dew has the wrestling ability to bring that into play.

Lee Yon Po (2-1-0) looked to be on his way to a title victory at G-Co 14 until champion Garuda Meow slapped on a sublime kimura out of nowhere. He will start the process of getting back into title contention with a devilishly tough bout with well respected all-rounder David Datsik (2-1-0).

Datsik’s record is misleading as the American has been undefeated since returning to the cage after a three year absence. He is much changed from the young man who braved the fight game at the tenderest of ages. A win over Po will catapult Datsik into the title picture as quickly as his opponent so both men will put everything on the line for this victory.

Powerful striker Jack “Me Off” Jone (3-0-0) has a great opportunity to make a name for himself in the G-Co with a win over company stalwart Mike “The Tyke” Sanders (4-3-0). Sanders, who is notorious for getting into submission battles, is by his own admission not the greatest stand up artist so many have made Jone favourite for this fight. Yet it is always so hard to go against someone who is always in a fight until the final bell in rung.

Zee McCabe (3-1-0) did not disappoint in his long awaited G-Co debut as he used his superior ground knowledge to gain a quick submission victory,. Yet his next battle against unbeaten Muay Thai prodigy Ray “Wifebeater” Rice (3-0-0) will be his greatest test to date. Rice is just a great stand up artist, who’s willingness to use a mixture of punches and kicks to maintain distance and then suddenly punish, is mesmerising. McCabe will have to work his way past this onslaught if he has any chance of taking the fight down to his wheelhouse. However if he is successful, Rice might just be in twice as much trouble as McCabe is standing.

Both “Big” John Atoya (2-0-0) and Moses Stepp (5-3-0) are fresh off hugely impactful first round victories in G-Co but one’s momentum will crash to a halt after this one. Atoya has a big size advantage in both height and weight which may well be the deciding factor but then how often have we been proven wrong on that assumption!

Before Fernando “Lenhador” Ramires (4-0-0) can even start his Super Heavyweight Title attempt, he will need to get over the intimidation factor of the crowds baying cry of “Lou”. G-Co’s longest reigning champion Lou Mazza (10-1-0) has been one of the pillars the company has built itself around. This legacy will be another psychological barrier for Ramires to conquer if he is going to pick up the victory.

The fight actually has the potential to be an incredibly even contest with both men being renown ground specialists. The unbeaten Ramires may even have the upper hand having beaten a fellow brown belt in his last outing where Mazza lost his own encounter with such high level of ground opposition. Saying that, Mazza has then gone on to win 10 fights by submission straight so there is no way that Ramires should be doubting Mazza’s abilities.

This could be the fight of the night but only if Ramires can look the legend in the eyes and see him as an equal.

The main event is the captivating Middleweight Title clash between Raine Lovelair (6-1-0) and Donovan “Ronin” Robertson (14-11-0).

Lovelair spent much of his early career drifting from one organisation to another but he has definitely found a home here at Gamasi by taking the title in his first bout with the company. Opposite him will be the Honor veteran Robertson who is a more rounded fighter than his 14 submission victories but 8 (T)KO defeats would suggest.

It is still highly likely that Robertson will want to drag this one to the floor. Lovelair has a proven track record of stopping the most hardy of competitors so why not take the champion out of his comfort zone? Of course this is easier said than done as Robertson will need to get past those hands of steel before getting a grip on the champion but the rewards could well lead to a new G-Co Middleweight champion!

by E J Gray

• Upvote 2

G-Co 20 Review

Two thousand ardent fans squeezed into the sold out Hayashi’s Lounge on Wednesday night to see two championships decided at G-Co 20: Robertson vs. Lovelair.

Those who arrived on time were rewarded with the most explosive fight of the evening. Debutant Tom “The Unusual” Jones (1-0-0) destroyed Orlin Jrr (0-3-0) within the first 30 seconds of the first bell. Jones landed a torrent of big shots and Jrr was cut open badly. Jones then finished with the sweetest of spinning backfists’ that separated Jrr from consciousness for some considerable time. Surely Jones will pick up knock out of the night?

Bobby “Blow Blow” Pacquiao (1-2-0) picked up his first win as a professional in a controversial decision. His opponent Julian Eduardo Demaestri (1-1-0) took the first round after securing an early takedown and controlled from top position until the bell. The second round looked like it might go the same way but Pacquiao managed to hold guard long enough for the fight to be stood up. Pacquiao then proceeded to use the clinch to good affect and took round 2.

The third is where the controversy lies. Pacquaio started the third by using the clinch again to control distance and prevent the big double leg takedown. Then, bizarrely, Pacquiao chose to pull guard and gave Demeastri top position. The big wrestler worked that position for the rest of the round and looked the more dangerous fighter. The surprise was therefore audible when it was Pacquiao’s, and not Demeastri’s, hand raised at the end of the fight. It was clear that the big wrestler was disgusted with the decision.

Despite the question marks around the judging, responsibility for the loss must fall on Demaestri. His unwillingness to engage in the strike game made him too one dimensional. Had he mixed it up even a little, there is little doubt in this reviewers mind that he would have come out of this one the victor.

The infamous Boyd “The Powerhouse” Lowe (3-9-0) dropped his eighth straight fight to Jurgen Wexler (3-4-0). The big german took the lardy Lowe down at will throughout the first two rounds but failed to really show any real desire to finish. This nearly cost Wexler in the third when Lowe mounted a spirited comeback and nearly had a late dramatic submission victory however he was foiled by the final toll of the final bell. Lowe will continue to draw a crowd as his fearlessness in the face of adversity is a admirable trait but Jurgen will be the one who will look to progress up the division.

Scrappy Dew (2-0-0) implemented his game plan flawlessly to pick up a quick submission victory over Alasdair “One Desperate Mother” Thacker (3-3-0). Many expected these two to go to war on the feet but Dew quickly took Thacker into the clinch and then dragged the contest to the floor. Despite being on his back, Dew clearly had control of the situation and it look him less than a minute to goad Thacker into a fight-ending mistake. Thacker never really had the chance to show what he could do but Dew certainly affirmed his place as a star for the future.

Outworked and overmatched, former championship contender Lee Yon Po (2-2-0) was no match for the silky skills of David Datsik (3-1-0).

Datsik was first to the punch throughout the fight to the clear frustration of Po. Datsik also controlled the distance by throwing in a number of carefully aimed low kicks that stopped Po in his tracks. Eventually those low shots started to show and Po had no choice but to defend his mid-drift. Like any intelligent fighter, Datsik recognised the change and landed a big head kick that finished the fight in the fourth minute of round number 1. After that performance, Datsik must fancy his chances at champion Joe Malenko.

There was a major shock in the opening fight of the main card when Mike “The Tyke” Sanders (5-3-0) put a first loss on big hitter Jack “Me Off” Jone (3-1-0). Jone absolutely hammered Sanders in the opening seconds of the fight and turned Sanders face into a crimson mask. Desperation or inspiration took over for Sanders and he somehow dived into a takedown that landed in side control. Jone seemed to panic which allowed Sanders to quickly slap on the Americana for the big upset victory.

Zeke McCabe (4-1-0) showed off his classical ground skills against the overmatched Ray “Wifebeater” Rice (3-1-0). McCabe absorbed one or two nice early shots from Rice but caught the striker out when he tried to work inside. From that point on, it was a clinic of threatening one thing and doing another to advance into a better position. Huge credit should be given to Rice who attempted to frustrate McCabe whenever possible but the skill difference was just too extreme. Once into side control, it was only a matter of time before the submission was sunk in.

Despite this victory, McCabe still needs to prove he can stand up to the striking game when his opponent is an equally capable wrestler. While Rice will surely learn from this and spend a lot of the near future on the gym mat.

The oddest fight of the night was definitely between Moses Stepp (6-3-0) and “Big” John Atoya (2-1-0).

This was expected to a contest of big strikers. Both men have history of landing big shots that shut opponents lights out. So no one expected Atoya to pull guard, least of all Stepp, who was presented a wonderful chance to rain a little GnP on his opponent. Eventually the referee stood the two men up where we saw a little of the fight we were expecting. However the overriding impression from the round was that Atoya is not a skilled ground fighter.

So there was stifled guffaws of laughter when Atoya pulled guard within the first minute of the second round as well. Maybe it was inexperience or over-confidence from Atoya but this time Stepp didn’t give his opponent chance to recover from such a big mistake. It took less than two minutes for Stepp to break down Atoya’s resolve that left the referee with no choice but to step in. Stepp should get a lot of credit for capitalising on his opportunity but Atoya must know he gave this fight away cheaply.

Fernando “Lenhador” Ramires (5-0-0) dethroned long time super heavyweight champion Lou Mazza (10-2-0) by submission to become the new king of the giants.

Mazza started the fight well and had the advantage standing. However he could not help himself when the opportunity for an easy takedown presented itself. Then the much spoken about stylistic differences between these ground juggernauts became evident. Mazza looked for the submission aggressively, looking for any gap that might be available. “Lenhador” seemed almost inactive in comparison but his calmness was a lethal trap ready to spring.

First “Lenhador” took top position when Mazza tried a misguided attempt at an armbar and followed that with a beautiful leg lock directly from a mistimed triangle. This left Mazza’s knee horribly exposed and “Lenhador” knew the fight was over well before Mazza reluctantly tapped. The new champion knows he has a lot to live up to replacing the legend Mazza and must know the former champion will be looking for revenge before too long.

Another title change look to be in the offing when Donovan “Ronin” Robertson (14-12-0) had the champion Raine Lovelair (7-1-0) in a deep trouble at the end of round one.

As expected Lovelair peppered the challenger for the first two minutes of the fight. This all changed with one slip of concentration that allowed Robertson to gain top position. The tables had turned and Robertson was now all over the champion, forcing him to defend with all his might. As the seconds ticked on, it looked like Lovelair was crumbling despite having reversed position into Robertson’s guard. Finally Robertson slapped on a tight triangle and the fans rose to their feet expecting a new champion to be crowned. Suddenly Lovelair rose up and slammed Robertson with an almighty crash and the two separated as the round ended.

That was Robertson’s chance gone.

There would be no such mistakes from the Lovelair again. He picked apart Robertson throughout the second round before delivering a brutal hook that silenced any doubters. Lovelier reigns supreme at the top of the middleweight division and now people know he can survive on the ground as well. Who is going to beat this guy?

by EJ Gray

• Upvote 2

G-Co 21 PREVIEW

Coming off a record breaking night at G-Co 20, Gamasi Fighting Company is proud to present to you G-Co 21: Sigurdsson vs. Balboa.

The card begins with two individuals still finding their way in the fight game. Iron Mike Tyson (1-1-0) is a boxing first striker with good defensive wrestling. However there are serious questions about his lack of power and how this could hurt his long term aspirations. “MMA King” Renzo Gracie (0-1-0) is still developing as an rounded mixed marital artists but has a phenomenal ground game that is the equal of any one at this level. Both fighters have question marks hanging over them about their conditioning so the one who comes in fresher is likely to walk away with the win.

Not a lot is known about Bruno “Chainsaw” Da Silva (0-0-0) as he makes his first appearance in professional fighting. What we do know is that his opponent Kimbo “Dark Killer” Slice (3-3-0) will be looking for the knockout to extend his win streak to three. Experience is likely to be key with Slice being 9 years the senior of his young opponent. Many believe Silva could be a prospect but still has a lot of developing to do.

Boxing vs. Muay Thai should be the story of our next bout. Calvin “Vai Trator” Ulrich (2-6-0) is one of the many Ulrich cousins who started G-Co and is known for his superior boxing skills. He faces Cro Crap (2-2-0), who is an unusually hands heavy Muay Thai stylist. Although there have been times where has been criticised for not capitalising on his kicking ability. More problematic for both men is that neither has the best chin in the world. This may lead to a cagey affair where they look to protect themselves, but a knockout either way is still extremely likely.

One fighter is guaranteed their first G-Co victory when Zack Hairi (3-1-0) and Wius “The Wolf” Wyane (2-2-0) face off in the 145 pound division. Hairi was outwrestled for the first time in his career at G-Co 18. This is unlikely to happen against Wyane who is more likely to want to engage in the clinch. If Hairi can adapt to this different style of fighting, it would answer the doubters who question if he is too one dimensional a fighter. Wyane will certainly be preparing for a forceful wrestling attack but whether he can actually stop Hairi is debatable.

For whatever reason some fighters cannot get a handle on an organisation. This was the case for Joe “Lights Out” Louis (4-4-1) in Troid. Now he has a fresh start at G-Co. He will face a veteran of the organisation in Jorge Ulrich (3-3-0). We all know about Ulrich. He’s decisive grappler who struggles if he can’t get the fight to the floor. This problem that has plagued Ulrich’s career is likely to haunt him again in this one. Louis is too good a wrestler and will pick Ulrich apart with strikes.

Experienced grapplers tend to have a distinct advantage when entering the world of MMA. Not only do they understand the surge of adrenaline that courses through a person when they are about to compete, but they are also a master of a technique that takes many years to learn. However this can give a fighter an over-confidence in their core ability which stunts their growth in becoming a true mixed martial artist well. A sin that will eventually catch up with them.

This is certainly true for Daniel “Flying Knee” Bryan (16-5-1) who went 11 fights unbeaten before falling back to a .500 record, and “The Game Changer” James Granger (10-8-0) who has lost his last three. This time their tasks are far different from their recent encounters as they will challenge each other on their points of strength. Whoever wins they will need to concentrate on their striking game if they want to move any further up the division. Losing will lead to a great deal of introspection on how it all went so wrong.

Carlos “The Special” Ulrich (4-3-0) could also fall into the category of grapplers who have struggled to pick up striking. He will be tested in exactly this area when he battles Murilo “Cobra” Brito (4-6-1). This is a big fight for Ulrich who has failed to win since joining G-Co and could face getting cut if he loses again. Brito is a veteran of the organisation and has been in the cage with some of the biggest names in the organisations history. This experience could be the difference in the fight.

“Title Hunter” Santiago Palmer (6-3-0) will be looking for revenge against Paddy McCracken (4-2-0) after his brutal loss to the former championship contender at G-Co 16. That fight went exactly as expected with Hunter gaining the big early takedown yet being out-manoeuvred on the floor. McCracken’s superior ground knowledge came to the fore and was able to synch up the victory. Surely Hunter needs to approach this fight in a different way for the result to change. Whether he is capable of doing so could well determine the rest of his MMA career.

Many fans believe Dave “Brown Dog” Brown (5-2-0) is the champion in waiting at heavyweight. The Canadian fighter may only have one fight in G-Co but that just reaffirmed in everyone’s mind how good he has the potential to be. However it is important for Brown not to overlook his opponent in this Saturday’s co-main event.

Josh “The Side Of Beef” Meade (4-1-0) has big punch potential that could stop Brown’s hype as fast as it started. He also has enough skills on the ground to concern a wrestler and force them not to engage on the ground. Meade’s issue is that his poor wrestling means he cannot choose where the fight happens, and that gifts his opponent the luxury of making the choice. This flexibility is the biggest reason Brown is the heavy favourite.

Rumours have dominated the build up to G-Co’s main event.

In-situ champion Rocky Balboa (6-0-0) has made a stella start to his career. Unbeaten and the champion of a prestigious organisation, it would appear that he has the MMA world at his feet. Yet there are rumours that he may be considering his retirement. His lack of denials in the build up to the fight have spoken volumes. Still no one is really sure why such a successful performer would be willing to give up just as he is entering the prime of his career.

Such talk doesn’t appear to have unsettled his challenger, “The Earl” Ragnar Sigurdsson (6-0-0) who is also unbeaten and looking to garner the respect Balboa currently possesses.

Stylistically the fighters are very similar. Both offer technical striking with the potential to land the killer shot. Between them they share a remarkable record of 12 knockouts. Neither man has ever been in deep trouble either so confidence should be high in both camps. The one big difference is this doubt about Balboa’s future and whether his heart is really in this fight. If it is not then a championship change is surely on the cards.

by EJ Gray

• Upvote 1

@ Da "Beast" Skrumbo... You're a punk bitch who's scared to fight... You're the top 135er in the org and yet you decline to fight for a belt.. I think you should be let go from the org so you can cherry pick your fights some where else..

Bret Ing future 135lb champ..

That's fine sorry I'm not going to accept a for sure loss or where I have no chance to win call it what you want tuff guy!!!
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1