Greatest Accomplishment In MMA

In my opinion, the greatest accomplishment in MMA history is Shogun winning the 2005 MW Grand Prix. While Pride had some GPs at other weight classes, none of the overall quality of talent that this GP provided. I'll give you the notable names involved:

Shogun

Wanderlei

Rampage

Dan Henderson

Lil Nog

Overeem

Arona

Yoshida

Belfort

Igor V

Sakuraba

Randleman

Nakamura

Dean Lister

The only top 205ers missing were Couture, Liddell, and Tito. This tourney had ten of the top fifteen fighters in the world at the premier weight class and most of them are still great fighters today. If anyone can show me a tourney with better fighters op to bottom I would love to see it. Rings:King of Kings didn't even have a field like this and that's the tourney where Fedor " lost".

I looked like an idiot when I told all my friends that Shogun was possibly the greatest 205 in the world before the Machida fight. But i let them see some old Pride events and they realised just how vicious a man he is.

Winning against four top heavyweights in a row is pretty spectacular, but that doesn't compares to having eight successful title defenses in the UFC or winning a PRIDE/UFC title in two different weight classes. I would love to see Shogun win that UFC title though.

For what its worth I think Shogun will beat Machida in the rematch, Machida looks completely uncomfortable being kicked and should Shogun manage to dodge some of Machida's desperation punches than won him a draw he'll win the rematch

For what its worth I think Shogun will beat Machida in the rematch, Machida looks completely uncomfortable being kicked and should Shogun manage to dodge some of Machida's desperation punches than won him a draw he'll win the rematch

Shogun looked more worried to me then Machida. Been awhile since I watched the fight but I think Machida hurt Shogun more with the knees to the body. But eh I could be wrong, but I don't think it was "as big of a robbery" that other people seem to think it was. I wanted Shogun to win though.

what about when matt hughes beat royce gracie i know gracie was out of his prime but he "won" when people were just getting into mma even if he was in his 20's i dont think he would do very good anymore

Matt Hughes is a beast, think a 20 year old Hughes would do just fine

I think he means a 20 year old Royce Gracie.

And yes, if he was 20 and as one dimensional as he was then, he wouldn't stand a chance. That being said, you have to respect the impact that bjj made on combat sports.

Winning against four top heavyweights in a row is pretty spectacular, but that doesn't compares to having eight successful title defenses in the UFC or winning a PRIDE/UFC title in two different weight classes. I would love to see Shogun win that UFC title though.

Nobody has had 8 successful title defenses in the UFC.

if you look into the machida shogun fight , machida had problems , he moved trainning camp half way through , and had family troubles

dont under estimate how good machida is , a 50% machida won a bad decission against shogun

a 100% machida wont let it go to decision

also its wrote that shogun beat great fighters , thats very true

but machida has beaten more champions / ex/future in his caree

take a look at who he has fought and beat it will suprise you

NSF 10/24/2009 Win Mauricio Rua UFC 104: Machida vs Shogun Decision Unanimous Decision 5

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/images/icon/title-fight.png http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/images/icon/offical_small_onwhite.gif 05/23/2009 Win Rashad Evans UFC 98: Evans vs Machida TKO/RSC 2 3:57 http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/images/icon/title-fight.png http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/images/icon/offical_small_onwhite.gif 01/31/2009 Win Thiago Silva UFC 94: St-Pierre vs Penn 2 TKO/RSC Referee Stoppage from Strikes 1 4:59

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/images/icon/offical_small_onwhite.gif 05/24/2008 Win Tito Ortiz UFC 84: Ill Will Decision Unanimous Decision 3

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/images/icon/offical_small_onwhite.gif 12/29/2007 Win Thierry Sokoudjou UFC 79: Nemesis Submission Choke 2 4:20

NSF 09/22/2007 Win Kazuhiro Nakamura UFC 76: Knock-Out Decision Unanimous Decision 3

NSF 04/21/2007 Win David Heath UFC 70: Nations Collide Decision Unanimous Decision 3

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/images/icon/offical_small_onwhite.gif 02/03/2007 Win Sam Hoger UFC 67: All or Nothing Decision Unanimous Decision 3

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/images/icon/offical_small_onwhite.gif 07/22/2006 Win Vernon White World Fighting Alliance 4: King of the Streets Decision Unanimous Decision 5

NSF 04/29/2006 Win Dimitri Wanderley Jungle Fight 6 TKO/RSC Referee Stoppage from a Cut 3 3:24

NSF 03/26/2005 Win BJ Penn K-1: Hero's Decision Unanimous Decision 3

NSF 05/22/2004 Win Sam Greco K-1: MMA Championship Romanex Decision Split Decision

NSF 03/14/2004 Win Michael McDonald K-1: Beast 2004 Submission Guillotine Choke 1

NSF 12/31/2003 Win Rich Franklin Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye 2003 TKO/RSC Punches 2 1:03

NSF 09/13/2003 Win Stephan Bonnar Jungle Fight 1 TKO/RSC Doctor Stoppage 1

NSF 05/02/2003 Win Kengo Watanabe New Japan Pro Wrestling: Ultimate Crush Decision Unanimous Decision 3

not bad and this isnt up to date

Nobody has had 8 successful title defenses in the UFC.

Oh I'm sorry I meant title fights. You showed me there.

mrblack, your 50% machida talk isn't very convincing.

time will tell

That was a 100% Machida. The difference was he faced someone with technical striking as good as his. BJ Penn and Sam Greco put some hands on him too. The changing training camps thing is a pretty laughable excuse. Machida went from his usual camp to train at Black House in LA with Nog and Anderson before a fight in LA. Also, Shogun has beaten as many Former/Current champs as Machida. If you count Overeem's SF belt, he's beaten more.

The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people going into Shogun/Machida felt that Machida was invincible, like he couldnt be hit - well he can, and he doesnt look like he can take too many hits. Shogun won the fight, he took Machida's heart in that fight - at one point you could see that Machida was clearly shocked, like he didnt know what was happening and failed to mount any sort of meaningful offense due to Shoguns kicks. I dont see how the fight is going to be any different this time around - except if either see an opening like both had in the first fight, i dont think they'll hold, they will try and end the fight there and then, especially shogun.

Shogun won those fights that year and you can never take that away from him.

But the best accomplishment ever? I think a lot of things lined up very nicely for him to give him a bit of help.

The Rampage he fought was a shell of Rampage. We all now know about how Ramapge didn't have hardly anything of a training camp and about all the personal problems he was going through at the time. I mean, this is the Rampage that arguably lost to Ninja...

The Minotoro fight is one of the best in MMA history, great fight, great win.

Overeem predictibly imploded in the fight, falling apart like only Overeem can fall apart.

And then Shogun came in fresh against a worn-out Arona that fought a greuling 15-minute war with Wanderlei.

So I think he had an amazing win over Minotoro but fought a tired Arona, a Rampage who didn't even show up, and Overeem who came into that fight 1-3 in his last 4.

way to go back and devalue the wins, heh. it's easy to say all those things now. that type of thing is my favorite thing in all of mma.

Exactly. The dude above you who said Shogun fought a shell of a Rampage? LOL. Shogun called Rampage out in the ring after the Ninja fight. Rampage looked as terrified after Ninja as he did during the Shogun stare down(or lack thereof).

Please see my original post to see the notable members of the 16 man field that Shogun went through to win that gold PRIDE belt. No other PRIDE GP had even six fighters worth a shit to enter their GP. Not only did Shogun win the most talent rich MMA tourney of all time, but he did it by taking the hardest path to victory.

WhisperingDeath can try his ass of to discredit Shogun's wins, but I can discredit any win in MMA history just as easily. Shogun worked a top 205er in Rampage. Shogun then went on to beat Lil Nog in what I consider to be the best fight of all time. Even people who disagree still would put Nog/Shogun as top five.

Shogun then went on to GNP a fresh Alister Overeem. The same AO that subbed Vitor a few months before. For his second fight that night he took on ADCC champ Ricardo Arona. The first man to beat Wand at 205 in over 5 years. Not only did Shogun KO him on the ground, but he threw Arona in an omoplata and tossed the prettiest looking spinning ninja kick that an MMA fan has ever seen.

If winning a 16 man tourney with at least 10 of the top 20 fighters isn't the greatest MMA accomplishment there is, I'd love to know what is.