All the Bisping hate, justified?

I dont see why people hate him. It makes no sense to me. If someone can explain that would be cool.

For me it's because he talks big but doesn't back it up. He talked big when he was being fed cans to build the UFC in the UK. He talked big at Hammill despite tonnes of people thinking Hammill should have won their fight. He talked about how Henderson is a legend of the sport and has all this respect for him, then hung shit on him for the entire season of TUF and then looked like he didn't deserve to be in the same cage with him when they fought. He said the same thing about Wandy being a legend of the sport and how he has all this respect for him, then him and his coaches laugh about how one-dimensional he is and compared him to Chris Leben. Then after losing a clear-cut decision to Wandy, said he gave Wandy full credit for the win, then in the next sentance complained that he thought he should have won despite being saved by the bell in 2 rounds.

Full of excuses and general shit-talking douchebaggery... he's like a cockney Tito Ortiz.

For me it's because he talks big but doesn't back it up. He talked big when he was being fed cans to build the UFC in the UK. He talked big at Hammill despite tonnes of people thinking Hammill should have won their fight. He talked about how Henderson is a legend of the sport and has all this respect for him, then hung shit on him for the entire season of TUF and then looked like he didn't deserve to be in the same cage with him when they fought. He said the same thing about Wandy being a legend of the sport and how he has all this respect for him, then him and his coaches laugh about how one-dimensional he is and compared him to Chris Leben. Then after losing a clear-cut decision to Wandy, said he gave Wandy full credit for the win, then in the next sentance complained that he thought he should have won despite being saved by the bell in 2 rounds.

Full of excuses and general shit-talking douchebaggery... he's like a cockney Tito Ortiz.

lol as funny as that is a cockney is someone from east London, he's from Chorley which is in the North West...but i get what you mean, a British Tito.

lol as funny as that is a cockney is someone from east London, he's from Chorley which is in the North West...but i get what you mean, a British Tito.

I believe the term is "mockney". You know, the kind of guy who has watched one too many Guy Ritchie films and is obsessed with proving his englishness.

I think I've got a balanced view here; English mum, American dad. English fans are definitely sometimes guilty of deluding themselves in regards to the quality of their athletes. A great example would be Ricky Hatton's big fights, where the UK press covered them in a way that was 180 opposite from the rest of the world. The rest of the world seemed to realize straight away that Hatton was overmatched, but British fans came away stunned by how badly he was beat. Same with David Haye, who is hugely regarded in the UK as a top heavyweight, but not ranked in the top 10 in any American p4p ratings. We do the same thing with our footballers, too. When a foreign player does something stupid or inappropriate, the fans scream about "disgracing the game", but when Wayne Rooney acts like a cbomb it's because "the lad had has so much passion for the game.'"

That being said, I don't think it's a uniquely British phenomenon, I've been watching some of the Olympics coverage live on BBC and downloading some events to watch the American coverage, it's night and day different.

My personal opinion on Bisping? Personally, I think he acted like a prick on TUF, both as a coach and a fighter. As a fighter, I think he was overhyped a bit, but the UFC was okay with it because they were just starting to get a foothold in the UK market. Now that the sport has caught on and there are other guys like Hardy who look like they have the ability to put on exciting fights, we will see Bisping slowly slide down the ladder. His ability to stand and bang is gone now that he is facing top competition, so those exciting fights he was able to put on are a thing of the past and a disciplined Bisping simply doesn't have the skills to challenge those at the top.

Nope.

p.s. I'm American, fwiw. I'm not sure why one's nationality should matter, but since you brought it up...

It's all to do with culture. I work in Bangkok with quite a lot of American guys and they don't really get the piss taing that much. But as I am the fucking boss they have little chioice but to lap it up.

It's the same when people call Swedes to direct and impolite. They are just straight, particually with a translation.

I don't get the need of American guys I work with to imitate black hiphop stars with their body language. Looks like an old man doing a bad dance routine.

Sathias "Then after losing a clear-cut decision to Wandy". Sorry but how was that a clear-cut decision?! IMO Bisping did enough to win the fight and more. He definately won 1 & 2 rounds. & Wandy seemed like a complete dickhead.

EDIT: Sorry to come across as a dickhead myself, lol

It's all to do with culture. I work in Bangkok with quite a lot of American guys and they don't really get the piss taing that much. But as I am the fucking boss they have little chioice but to lap it up.

It's the same when people call Swedes to direct and impolite. They are just straight, particually with a translation.

I don't get the need of American guys I work with to imitate black hiphop stars with their body language. Looks like an old man doing a bad dance routine.

I sometimes wonder if people think of Americans as having one distinct culture, in the same way they might think of Swedes as having one distinct culture, the Irish having another, and the Spanish yet another. In some respects, the United States could be thought of as several different nations that share open borders and a common currency, and that have hammered out a means of cooperating on major projects and mediating differences. Culturally, the label "American" might be more analogous to "European" than it is to "Dutch." Case in point, I don't get the need of the American guys you work with to imitate black hip-hop stars with their body language, either. :coffee:

Does he deserve the flak he get from primarily american fight fans?

Yes - I actually liked Pissping prior to his coaching stint on the Ultimate Fighter. Since then, can't stand the guy.

ROTFLMAO X 9000 @ Pac-Man. We do not have Manny, that's the Philippines.

Why People Hate Bisping?

1. He just looks like the smug asshole you wish would start shit with you so you could punch him.

2. The Hamill fight. He lost it and acted like he deserved it after the BS decision.

3. The constant flow of easy opponents/cans for Dana to make the UFC more popular in Europe.

4. Never speaking up about it publicly, demanding better opponents.

5. Dropping down a division after one loss, avoiding the type of competition fans wanted.

6. Coaching The Ultimate Fighter. He had great fighters, but he was horrible on the show.

7. Cocky and disrespectful toward opponents.

8. He really is the British Tito Ortiz.

ROTFLMAO X 9000 @ Pac-Man. We do not have Manny, that's the Philippines.

dude pacman lives in san diego and the Philippines is almost a territory of the USA anyway at least it was

I dont see why people hate him. It makes no sense to me. If someone can explain that would be cool.

I dislike the guy because of how he behaved as a coach on TUF.

He even failed to show up for one of his camps fights, leaving the poor dude to wonder what was going on, rather than focus on his fight. Granted, Dean Amasinger was never going to be the next MMA phenom, but that's not the point. He was royally f*cked by Bising.

Bispings excuse for the no-show?

"I was asleep..."

That for me ended my respect for the man, and I've never been a big fan of powder puff fighters.

I thought he was scared of Wandy and was glad to see him end up on the deck...and lose.

The whole "Americans don't understand British humour" or "They don't get taking the piss" argument just isn't true. My uncles from Chicago can do banter just as well as my uncles from Manchester. Except instead of calling it taking the piss or the mick, they call it "breaking balls" or "busting chops" and it's practically a high art form in most neighborhoods. For every Frankie Boyle or Andy Parsons, there are at least ten American comedians who do the exact same shtick, only with American celebs.

And in the case of Michael Bisping, it's not a case of American's not liking him because they don't understand him or his humour, nearly as much as it is a case of the next great english hope coming up short of the prize and being the last to admit it.

...and LOL at Manny being American. That's like saying Rampage is an Englishman because he trains there part of the year

I think that for me, Bisping does more damage to himself in his post-fights than in the pre-fight smack talk. Between losing to Hamill, losing to Henderson, and losing to Wandy, the guys who beat him are good fighters. If he'd just once say "I gave it my best shot but hey these guys are tough and I'm going to come back stonger next time" he'd be fine. It's like he either intentionally plays the heel, or he feels like he has to keep talking in the post-fight pressers and always puts his foot in his mouth.

The latest being:

“It was a close fight. Personally I think I won rounds one and two,” he told the media at the UFC 110 post-fight press conference. “The only things I felt I got hit with - I mean Wanderlei did a great job, full credit to him. Congratulations to him on winning the fight. Personally, apart from the guillotine and, you know, I got dropped in the third round, but apart from the guillotine in the second, I don’t think he had any offense come my way. I felt I won those two rounds."

So other than being seconds away from getting choked in the 2nd, and seconds away from being Hendo'd in the 3rd, he had it in the bag. The 'fight for a decision' might work in Tycoon but isn't popular in real life.

He'll be around for a while more, but I think he's going to start fading into the background as the more talented British fighters take the limelight. I never considered him a 'draw', like someone I'd be excited to watch on PPV, and certainly would never order a ppv solely because Bisping was on it. He's still skilled, but just won't reach the heights he imagines for himself.

Bisping seems to be insecure and always ready to explain away a loss, Tito is just worthless as a fighter and as a human being and I'm sad he exists. I don't like Bisping but comparing him to Tito is harsh to me, but I have more hate for Tito than the average hater.

No i don,t think so.. British humour is a funny thing because if your not British then you probably wont understand it.. hes a very exciting fighter to watch and before the wanderlei fight he didnt bad mouth him at all. he showed a lot of respect to him and i see one video were he was in an ice bath an took his trainers cigarette and pretended to have it and having a laugh sed in a silly voice "uve got a snorkel wanderlei, well il show u how we do it from manchester" which was reli funny but anyone who isnt british would probably think that was cocky and disrespectful, but hes just having a laugh and taking the piss outta where he was from more than anything.. But tbh i know im probably biased but i reli do think he scored more points in round 1,2 agenst wandy and has any1 seen the rashad evans fight.. that was suspect..

I'm probably biased, but I don't think so.

I think a lot of it has to with the interpretation of British humour. What we see as "taking the piss", a lot of Americans could see as being cocky and talking shit.

I've been closely watching all the interviews and blogs in the build up to 110, and Bisping has literally said nothing bad about Wandy in the run up to the fight. Wandy is the one who has been talking shit, yet no one seems to call him on it because he's a legend. Fair enough, but then when people start to jump on the "I hate Bisping" bandwagon, I think that's pretty unfair.

At the presser Bisping was a bit vocal, but that was only because Wandy had been talking shit for a while now and Michael had been biting his tongue.

"It's an honour to fight Wanderlei, but I'm going to beat him" hardly constitutes shit talking.

When someone asked Wandy why he hates Bisping, even he had no real answer ... "I don't know, everyone just hates him".

So in my opinion, the hate isn't justified.

I actually agree with you wholeheartedly here; to a point. Bisping barely ran his mouth coming up to the fight and I was starting to gain some respect for him. Then they fight and have a decent brawl with Wanderlei almost finishing him twice in round two and once in round 3. When the bell rings Bisping congratulates Wanderlei and then when the decision is announce the real Bitchping showed up and started freaking out cause he thought he won. Then in the after fight interview he calls the desicion bull shit and starts bitching like he always does... They guy is just a sore loser and he does talk a lot of shit... Maybe he doesn't deserve all the flak but god damn he brings it on himself.

Plus did you see how much shit he talked when facing Hendo? That was beautiful.

I actually agree with you wholeheartedly here; to a point. Bisping barely ran his mouth coming up to the fight and I was starting to gain some respect for him. Then they fight and have a decent brawl with Wanderlei almost finishing him twice in round two and once in round 3. When the bell rings Bisping congratulates Wanderlei and then when the decision is announce the real Bitchping showed up and started freaking out cause he thought he won. Then in the after fight interview he calls the desicion bull shit and starts bitching like he always does... They guy is just a sore loser and he does talk a lot of shit... Maybe he doesn't deserve all the flak but god damn he brings it on himself.

Plus did you see how much shit he talked when facing Hendo? That was beautiful.

he was selling the damn fight. i wonder about people that watch mma. i dont like bisping, i dont rate him as a fighter (though i thought he was pretty awesome against kang) but i know better than to take what he says seriously when hes trying to sell a damn fight. apart from frank "big mouf" mir, i respect all the guys who play 'the heel' in mma. if not we have the same boring fighters. im sure americans dont hate mir as much as they do bisping and in my opinion he is ten times worse.bisping is cocky, arrogant and talks a lot of trash but we all know he doesnt have he skills to back it up. shouldnt the fact that he will never fight for the title or beat a top ten middleweight be enough punishment?i also think if they hadnt made it usa vs uk format, how he acted towards hendo wouldnt have been taken this badly

Dude I'm not American, Hendo is a MMA hero world wide not just and American hero. If a Japanese MMA fan watched that season of TUF they would probably feel the same way.

doesnt change the fact that one fighter is prepared to come out looking like a douche to sell the fight. unless you know them personally, you cant say for certain a certain fighter is this or that based on his public persona. however, there ARE certain people you just cant stand (rashad,gsp,frank mir for me). so i can understand if someone doesnt like him but all im saying is dont take his antics too serious

doesnt change the fact that one fighter is prepared to come out looking like a douche to sell the fight. unless you know them personally, you cant say for certain a certain fighter is this or that based on his public persona. however, there ARE certain people you just cant stand (rashad,gsp,frank mir for me). so i can understand if someone doesnt like him but all im saying is dont take his antics too serious

My bad I know exactly where your coming from and I'm not trying to hate on him as a person. Though he is clearly a poor loser I'm sure he's a pretty nice and funny guy. But his on screen antics make me love to see him get KtfO