Interesting Discussion

Ok I am not going to explain the story right now but I am curious for all of your thoughts and opinions on something.

Is it a lie to leave out information on purpose in a story?

Hypothetical Situation:

Like if I tell my friend that I went out with friends and name only 4 out of 6 for whatever reason. Is that lieing?

Or is it only a lie if you say somebody wasn't there when they really were? Like if I said those 2 people in the other scenario weren't there when they were?

Now feel free to discuss.

sounds like someone is having a moral dilemma!

It doesn't matter how you put it, withholding information and lying amount to the same; dishonesty.

lemme guess- you went out with friends (which included an ex-girlfriend, perhaps?) and you didn't tell your girlfriend that she was there?

A big group of friends. The girl that came out wasn't really an ex. It was a girl I had went on about 3 dates with before realizing I just couldn't ever like her. We didn't really click. My friend Brian is in the hunt for a girl so I tried to set it up. Well I didn't tell my current gf initially that this girl was there but then told her like an hour later.

My current gf doesn't even care if I do talk to an ex. It was the fact that I didn't tell her this girl was there like I had something to hide she said. This convo went down Monday night and finally as of last night I think we worked things out.

She knew as recently as Saturday that I still talk to this girl too and had no issues with it. My gf and I are really up front about everything. Its part of why we work so well but this whole thing made her wonder if I have kept anything else from her. Which I haven't but I understand why she may think that.

Yeah, I think I learned my lesson. Plus getting the input here of you guys and on another forum makes me realize that the way I viewed it was the minority's logic. Most people felt that by not telling her on purpose was kinda like lieing.

Thank you very much guys.

A big group of friends. The girl that came out wasn't really an ex. It was a girl I had went on about 3 dates with before realizing I just couldn't ever like her. We didn't really click. My friend Brian is in the hunt for a girl so I tried to set it up. Well I didn't tell my current gf initially that this girl was there but then told her like an hour later.

My current gf doesn't even care if I do talk to an ex. It was the fact that I didn't tell her this girl was there like I had something to hide she said. This convo went down Monday night and finally as of last night I think we worked things out.

She knew as recently as Saturday that I still talk to this girl too and had no issues with it. My gf and I are really up front about everything. Its part of why we work so well but this whole thing made her wonder if I have kept anything else from her. Which I haven't but I understand why she may think that.

yeah in situations like that it's always best to be up-front about things. if you aren't, and she finds out about it (either from you or from someone else), it's never going to look good and comes out looking one of two ways:

scenario 1- you end up telling her later - it appears that you were hiding it and then felt guilty about it. this is better than scenario 2, but will still cause problems with pretty much any woman on the planet.

scenario 2- she finds out from someone else - this could kill a relationship, either directly or indirectly. she could think you were cheating, and/or she loses trust in you and then the problem spiderwebs into other facets and situations in your relationship.

moral of the story: be up front and honest about things, even if it's a bit difficult to do, because the alternative is substantially worse.

see we're actually not always just an arguing bunch of mma obsessed pricks, its just most of the time.

Ahh would you look at that...a forum post that doesn't erupt into a heated argument calling people names. SO IT CAN BE DONE????!!!!!

however!!!

buy simply ommiting certain facts , isnt he just doing what he has been taught by his government/president as he has grown up?

or even what every single advertisment in the world does?

they all omit the facts that might offend

or they just think you dont real need to know about

however!!!

buy simply ommiting certain facts , isnt he just doing what he has been taught by his government/president as he has grown up?

or even what every single advertisment in the world does?

they all omit the facts that might offend

or they just think you dont real need to know about

So technically, they lie...yea...big surprise there