My first pudding fighter...

I have a guy Yushin Akiyama who has looked superior on paper compared to his first two opponents--but yet he's come up short twice in a row. He has competent boxing, but yet he got his clock cleaned in the standup by a guy with mediocre boxing and feeble muay thai. Maybe he's just unlucky--so I'm definetely going to give him a third shot before I consider releasing him as a failure.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a fighter that looks good on paper, but hasn't lived up to the potential?

I had high hopes for the Brock clone 'Eddie "The Fireman" Burnside' after he slammed someone unconscious in his debut match....but if he loses his next fight on the 30th he is cut with a 1-3 record

I have yet to give up on one. I figure they will work it out and usually its my mistake in the fight that costs him it not his fault. I have some fighters on the fence but they picked up wins so I really think its how you set your guys up probably. I know the are hidden stats and I know I got a guy with some low confedence, he may not finish fights but at least he wins.

My fighter Otis Driftwood is pudding for sure. He lost his first 2 fights in the first round. It was probably my fault for making him absolutely trash on the ground, and really good at MT. He has no chance, his last fight he got taken down the first move and in a kimura in 30 some odd seconds. He is getting cut.

its all about keeping the fight on the feet then. There are ways to better help you do that. If your a striker you should have better wrestling then someone who is a jitz guy. I am not sure of your guys stats or what your guy looks like but MT fighters can work. You just need to know what to do. They are a lot better against strikers then grapplers but if you have decent other stats you should be fine

its all about keeping the fight on the feet then. There are ways to better help you do that. If your a striker you should have better wrestling then someone who is a jitz guy.

Wrestling, BJJ, and Striking. Choose any two.

If you have wrestling, then you can take the match wherever you want it, and finish with your other choice.

If you don't have wrestling, you'll get thrown around a lot, but your opponent will keep running into troubles no matter where the fight goes.

nevermind I will be cutting a fighter you just can't have 1 fighter training by himself somewhere it just doesn't work. Better to have at least 3 guys working together to help with other stats.

yeah i just cut a fighter who was a great BJJ and had good MT... too bad the guy i fought had superior wrestling and superior striking so my guy got KTFO in the second round even though he had a granite chin.

Huh... I just remembered something Bas Ruten said recently on... whatever MMA show he co-hosts on HDNet. Basically he says that to be a good mixed martial artist, you need to have wrestling, and then something else... maybe the same is true here.

yeah i just cut a fighter who was a great BJJ and had good MT... too bad the guy i fought had superior wrestling and superior striking so my guy got KTFO in the second round even though he had a granite chin. He was injured for 16 days and cut for 2. I figured I'd sack him cause i can't deal with losers like that.

Ha....thats harsh dude.

Huh... I just remembered something Bas Ruten said recently on... whatever MMA show he co-hosts on HDNet. Basically he says that to be a good mixed martial artist, you need to have wrestling, and then something else... maybe the same is true here.

Inside MMA, good show :) Bas is always entertaining :D

I've tried making some sprawl and brawl fighters, but it's really difficult to set the tactics just right so he gets up at the right time. When guys pull guard against your sprawl and brawl fighter--well it just sucks because I've had guys set at about 3/4 to stand up, but yet they start trying to play the ground game. The top guys seem to be wrestlers with good BJJ--so I think I'm sticking with that in the future.

I've tried making some sprawl and brawl fighters, but it's really difficult to set the tactics just right so he gets up at the right time. When guys pull guard against your sprawl and brawl fighter--well it just sucks because I've had guys set at about 3/4 to stand up, but yet they start trying to play the ground game. The top guys seem to be wrestlers with good BJJ--so I think I'm sticking with that in the future.

I'm sure there are still little bits that aren't working as well as they could do. What's happening specifically?

The opponent scored a trip takedown on me (my guy was Bond, eventually lost via sub), and he's a purple belt so I knew I didn't want to play the ground game with him--perhaps I didn't set the slider quite far enough to standup on the tactic slider (stay on the ground) I had it about 2 1/2 clicks away from stay on the ground, for some reason I had thought I set it a little higher. It could just be my own stupidity, but I would really like to find some way to set my tactics so that if I'm on top, I'm trying to get up rather than pass guard and work for subs.

Gotti goes for an armbar here - this could be all over! But no, Bond has escaped beautifully and is now on top in side control! Oh, that's unlucky for Gotti but great work by Bond.

Gotti looks to move to half guard but instead Bond has passed into mount! Damn!

Gotti gets back to half guard.

Gotti wants to get back to full guard.

Gotti works his way to full guard. Good work.

Gotti is breathing heavily.

Gotti looking for a sweep. Not yet Gotti, not yet.

Bond passes into half guard.

Bond wants to lay and pray for a moment but Gotti keeps working.

Gotti is trying to get back to full guard.

That's two minutes gone in the round.

Gotti is looking to sinch up a gullotine here but Bond pulls his head out easily.

Gotti wants to get back to full guard but Bond has mounted him!

Gotti tries to reverse the position but Bond maintains control.

Bond with some aggressive grappling here. He's looking for submissions here, rather than waiting for the opportunity to counter.

The stay on ground vs stand up is not an absolute slider, so don't treat it in the same way as takedown sliders for example. I've just added a note about that to the wiki incase that wasn't clear.

Ok, cool--I was under the impression it was absolute--as it had the same indicator below (read instructions) the slider as the stay standing or takedowns slider. I'll adjust accordingly, so thanks for the clarification.

i guess its sorta like how GSP got caught by Serra... on paper it was lopsided..

I just created Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza... guess what.. he got tooled on the ground and got subbed..... he is 'strong' in sub offense.. but couldn't finish the guy.. .he ended up getting caught in triangle

I think i might keep him and develop him as a bjj training partner.. (when i go vip that is)... he is one of my favourite (real life) grapplers so i don't want to lose the name.

I think i might keep him and develop him as a bjj training partner.. (when i go vip that is)... he is one of my favourite (real life) grapplers so i don't want to lose the name.
i hate that some people feel the need to name fighters after real-life-fighters. its ok imo to be inspired by a name, but to just copy .. that shouldnt even be allowed imo.

i hate that some people feel the need to name fighters after real-life-fighters. its ok imo to be inspired by a name, but to just copy .. that shouldnt even be allowed imo.

It says quite clearly that you're not allowed but people just ignore it. I've given up trying to stop people doing it otherwise I'd never get anything done.