Heavyweights

why are people so excited to watch the large weight classes with less skilled fighters then see the smaller weight classes with guys that are more skilled and better all around fighters? I don't get it. I love watching lightweights, welterweights, and middleweights more than watching big guys rumble.

why are people so excited to watch the large weight classes with less skilled fighters then see the smaller weight classes with guys that are more skilled and better all around fighters? I don' t get it. I love watching lightweights, welterweights, and middleweights more than watching big guys rumble.

I love watching all weight classi

why are people so excited to watch the large weight classes with less skilled fighters then see the smaller weight classes with guys that are more skilled and better all around fighters? I don't get it. I love watching lightweights, welterweights, and middleweights more than watching big guys rumble.

less skilled? i respectfully dissagree. I do understand that there can be much more action in the lighter weight classes and some people focus on that as the main goal in a fight.

I like to see fights finished. I think heavyweights finish a greater percentage of their fights. I haven ot looked up the statistics on this and cannot prove it.

whats more exciting for one is not for another

you may like style, grace, and a plethora of nick diaz punches (man he is so fun to watch)

but i usually lean towards the nuclear missiles(uppercuts) of shane carwin in the clinch. its like throwing an entire featherweight fighter at your opponents chin. Having to deal with that kind of danger changes everything including your ability to take risks when closing the distance and going for a submission.

can nick diaz KO you with a 3 inch hammerfist? carwin can.

nick diaz is going for a kneebar from the bottom!!! hes getting jacked in the face repeatedly, but almost has the leg! OMG heres a scramble and now diaz gets on top ohhhHH! only to drop back for a leg lock!!!

vs heavyweights

frank mir is going for a kneebar from the bottom!!! hes getting jacke.... HES OUT COLD!! :bigshock:

Yep, I think AA nailed it.

Sports are loved so much because they provide high drama. Tuning in to watch your favourite footy or American Football team play is an exciting event.

Watching it again, while still enjoyable if a classic win, does not provide the same drama or tension, because you know the result.

Same as if you record the game to watch later, but find out the result in the meantime. Not as exciting.

So, the drama and tension created by the big guys, is just a little more intense.

Why? Because, as AA said, the fight can change/end with one strike.

I've always preferred watching the LHW's, myself, but love a good, "battle of the big men."

I agree the bigger fighter are just as talented as anyone else. The only real downside to the big guys is that they tend to gas since they have to move that mass around.

Well, in a world without weight classes, the heavyweights would rule. Guess it's the "well, GSP was really dominant in that fight but Fedor would still kick his ass" factor :P

I'm not a heavyweight fan though because the gas tanks and the lack of talent. Plus the benefits of weight and size are too high.

Maaan just like at shane carwin! he is such a beast. you gotta look at primetime 2 with rashad and rampage when he is standing next to rashad.. those heavyweights are monsters!

less skilled might have been a good way to describe the division maybe 3-4 years ago..now a days these dudes can do the same thing the lighter divisions do like jiu jitsu and wrestling and a much greater number don't get winded after the 1st like their older counterparts used to..and all the biggest HW fights have ended in great knockouts lately..Mir/Carwin, Velasquez/Big Nog, Fedor/Rogers, Rogers/Overeem, Lesnar/Mir, and all of JDS' fights

it is the caveman inside us that wants to see giants fight eachother

really its gives an extra thing if the guys fighting are a bit scarry

It's because the majority of MMA fans are dumb redneck Tapout/Affliction wearing douche bags who became fans of MMA because of a retarded reality tv show.