Kongo Steps in for Herring, Faces Velasquez at UFC 99

UFC RSS

Thomas Gerbasi, UFC - When Heath Herring was forced to withdraw from his UFC 99 bout against Cain Velasquez, the search immediately went out for a replacement. Well, the UFC didn't have to look very far, as highly-regarded contender Cheick Kongo has stepped up to face the unbeaten Velasquez on the main card of the June 13th event in Cologne, Germany.

View the full article

Sick fight.

With Kongo's dramatically improved wrestling skills this is going to be a hell of a fight. If Kongo wins this, I think it's very difficult to deny him the next title shot. It would be his requisite win over an upper tier wrestler.

Conversely, if he loses, I think it has significant benefits for Shane Carwin.

I cant wait for this fight Cain is going to take Kongo down at will. After Cain win this fight I then want to see Cain vs Carwin for a title shot

Very excited that this is the new matchup. Not that Herring is a pushover,but it was a bad matchup of styles for Heath, as he is frequently dominated by fighters with a strong wrestling base. It just seemed like the safest step up in competition the UFC could give him. This on the other hand is a matchup that can propel either fighter to the top of the division, and probably an inevitable bout with Shane Carwin.

Cain struggled a bit to takedown Stojinic, so I don't think it's going to be an easy task to get Kongo on the mat. I have been really impressed with Kongo's wrestling as of late. He has really improved. At one time I thought he was just resigned to being the standup guy that can't get past the outstanding wrestlers.

Kongo only weighs about 230, which puts them pretty close to even in weight. It might just be Kongo's height, but he looks like he's 245lbs.

I think the first round will mostly be standup. It should be an excellent test to see just how much Cain's striking has improved. I'm leaning slightly towards Velasquez, but it's really difficult to pick against Kongo. Either way, Cain better bring a cup plated in three inches of titanium.