ACL injuries

I was just wondering if anyone here had a ACL injury because I just found out I blew my ACL and was wondering if I will ever have the same strength I ahd before. i was already told i will never compete in BJJ or MMA again and i'm only fifteen so just wondering if I have a future in any sport.

I was just wondering if anyone here had a ACL injury because I just found out I blew my ACL and was wondering if I will ever have the same strength I ahd before. i was already told i will never compete in BJJ or MMA again and i'm only fifteen so just wondering if I have a future in any sport.

I've done it twice, both times in my left knee. First time finished a potential football (soccer) career.

How far it effects you depends on a lot of different aspects and only consultation with doctor(s) will really clear it up for you. It is not impossible to come back from, I certainly still able to spar and grapple but it still hurts disproportional amount to other joints and with other people I know who have done it, they have lost a certain amount of movement.

Some of the things you will need to know is how they plan to operate on it as the older style open leg surgery does a lot more damage than keyhole does (although keyhole may have fully replaced the old form in some places this is not true everywhere). Also depends on what sort of damage there is to it, both times mine have been internal tears which is far more recoverable from than a split from the outside. It also depends on other problems you may have and damage it inflicted to other parts of the knee.

Another factor may simply be that you are still growing and that will potentially be your saviour or may cause extra problems depending on how lucky you are.

If you have the dedication you can certainly come back from an acl injury and being young this will be easier than when you are older but it will be a hard and long road to recovery and if you do continue to use it extensively you will still feel it most mornings. However there are strategies that you can use to preserve that point, start swimming as that is great general conditioning and puts a lot less pressure on the joints (running and cycling long distances can be very tough depending on how the rehab is going and for some (including myself) afterwards).

As for will it return to 100%, the answer is probably no. However if the injury has been there sometime, what you might think of as 100% may have only been 50% and after the operation it may be at 75% and that could be an improvement. Your also young and you will get stronger so it certainly is not the end with the right attitude and the willing to work at it.

I've done it twice, both times in my left knee. First time finished a potential football (soccer) career.

How far it effects you depends on a lot of different aspects and only consultation with doctor(s) will really clear it up for you. It is not impossible to come back from, I certainly still able to spar and grapple but it still hurts disproportional amount to other joints and with other people I know who have done it, they have lost a certain amount of movement.

Some of the things you will need to know is how they plan to operate on it as the older style open leg surgery does a lot more damage than keyhole does (although keyhole may have fully replaced the old form in some places this is not true everywhere). Also depends on what sort of damage there is to it, both times mine have been internal tears which is far more recoverable from than a split from the outside. It also depends on other problems you may have and damage it inflicted to other parts of the knee.

Another factor may simply be that you are still growing and that will potentially be your saviour or may cause extra problems depending on how lucky you are.

If you have the dedication you can certainly come back from an acl injury and being young this will be easier than when you are older but it will be a hard and long road to recovery and if you do continue to use it extensively you will still feel it most mornings. However there are strategies that you can use to preserve that point, start swimming as that is great general conditioning and puts a lot less pressure on the joints (running and cycling long distances can be very tough depending on how the rehab is going and for some (including myself) afterwards).

As for will it return to 100%, the answer is probably no. However if the injury has been there sometime, what you might think of as 100% may have only been 50% and after the operation it may be at 75% and that could be an improvement. Your also young and you will get stronger so it certainly is not the end with the right attitude and the willing to work at it.

Thanks and mine is internal tear as well. I was willing to live with no sports for the winter but when he told me no more MMA training and possibly no hockey until i was 20 or older really got me. And thanks for your info hopefully i can still get a scholarship for University through hockey.

Thanks and mine is internal tear as well. I was willing to live with no sports for the winter but when he told me no more MMA training and possibly no hockey until i was 20 or older really got me. And thanks for your info hopefully i can still get a scholarship for University through hockey.

If I was to give any advice it would be to be patient and only allow yourself to push it so far each time but at the same time keep at it and don't slack off, the process can only be gradual.

If I was to give any advice it would be to be patient and only allow yourself to push it so far each time but at the same time keep at it and don't slack off, the process can only be gradual.

Thanks again