Locking the Thread?

You know... someone speculated to me that the game might be entering a death spiral.

I said that it probably wasn't but honestly? Locking a thread that was that civil about honest community issues with the game is like seeing a shadow on a brain scan... not good.

• Downvote 2

You know... someone speculated to me that the game might be entering a death spiral.

I said that it probably wasn't but honestly? Locking a thread that was that civil about honest community issues with the game is like seeing a shadow on a brain scan... not good.

Really not that big of a deal.

• Upvote 1

We could stop crying wolf about said "dying game", which would probably help more than anything. I saw the thread. More or less should have been made in general improvements.

Im also with Chris and Jason.

I also fully support Mikes decision to close the thread, think of it this way, how would you feel if every day you came to work and there were ADULTS acting like kids, people bickering non stop, people always telling you what's wrong with your business and people stealing from you? (creating a multi is effectively stealing as you have extra fighter slots you have not paid for). I'm sure it gets frustrating and I'm sure some days he may look at it and think "why the fuck am I doing this?".

Sure people are entitled to their suggestions but put them in the improvements section, give the guy a chance to get shit done and stop thinking that because you are paying to play the game that you fucking own it!

Let Mike get his shit done and enjoy your fights people :)

• Upvote 1

Im also with Chris and Jason.

I also fully support Mikes decision to close the thread, think of it this way, how would you feel if every day you came to work and there were ADULTS acting like kids, people bickering non stop, people always telling you what's wrong with your business and people stealing from you? (creating a multi is effectively stealing as you have extra fighter slots you have not paid for). I'm sure it gets frustrating and I'm sure some days he may look at it and think "why the fuck am I doing this?".

Sure people are entitled to their suggestions but put them in the improvements section, give the guy a chance to get shit done and atop thinking that because you are paying to play the game that you fucking own it!

Let Mike get his shit done and enjoy your fights people :)

Read his response how you like... my take? Right up there in post #1.

I will close with this link from July of 2009.

Not that I give a damn about finishing moves.

game is no where near dying -- the post was made as if you and others dont see changes right away your gone -- lol -- what the hell man -- mike is one man and this is a side (hobby or interest more / less) job -- im pleased with how he is doing -- i challenge anyone to do a better job

I made that thread and i am not too worried about it. Mike heard my concerns and that is all that matters. I still enjoy this game so i am not in a huge rush to leave it but i would like some updates that will make the game more interesting on the business section.

The only thing that I've gotten out of that thread locking is that Mike clearly needs help in running the game...not to say that he doesn't do a good job...but if it's something that causes him undue stress, then there's obviously a problem somewhere, and I would have to say the problem lies in him having too much on his hands.

This is massively frustrating. I haven't had a rant for a little while but this is getting too much and I can't be doing with it.

I work every single day on this game, full time. I haven't actually had a single day off since the game started in Feb 09 and have been working on it since 2007. When I do go anywhere on holiday (or if it's Christmas Day etc), I have to take a laptop and do at leat two hours a day, no matter what, answering emails, fixing peopls event cock ups etc.

Today, I came back from a half day off to go watch the football. We conceeded an equaliser 6 minutes into injury time. It was very annoying. I checked the forum at gone midnight when I got back and there's a thread addressed to me. I open it and it's basically "Mike, you're not doing enough to keep your members happy at the moment, so they're leaving. You need to change businesses."

The tone of the thread was fine and I have no problem with the post per se but when you work on the site every day, it's just incredibly depressing to keep hearing it over and over again. I KNOW people are leaving because they want certain things fixing, but it's impossible to get everything done before people leave. I KNOW THIS. The criticism 2 months ago was "The ground game is broken, you need to fix it because people are leaving." That's what I'm working on now but there are only a certain amount of hours in the day. 2 hours of which I've now spent on these forums.

I wrote what I considered a perfectly reasonable response, closing the general thread and saying that I welcomed any comments on how to improve stuff in the other specific threads on each company type.

If that response isn't good enough, that's too bad. I would rather you just leave than complain about me wanting to get on with work. The thread was afterall a direct message to me and I believe I addressed that open letter in a reasonable manner. Again, no problem with the message but with this thread, there is a difference between improvements discussion and pointless criticism and I really cannot bear running this site when we get into these phases of "I'm going to leave because X is broken!", to the point where I would happily sell the site, if anyone offered to take it off my hands.

I get up in the morning, read the forums and there's always something about what I'm not doing well enough. I get home from something enjoyable today and there's something about what I'm not doing well enough. I try and answer that as politely as possible, yet just as I'm about to go to bed at 3am, I check again and the way I dealt with the thread about what I'm not doing well enough; my response wasn't handled well enough. :suicide_anim:

Just let me get on with it. Discuss what you want improved. Discuss what you think is the most important thing to improve. There are threads for that already. If I don't get to it quick enough for your liking, that's too bad, I'm sure you'll leave and I'll earn less money. I know that already. I think about it every day. It sucks.

I don't need sycophantic praise, I just don't need pissing on through the monitor every day either.

Edit: Having seen the responses in the thread, I could have happily left the thread alone and moved on (gone to bed), however when I saw the thread there were no posts, so felt the need to speak up.

I know sometimes it will come across like I'm a big baby that you can't say anything mean to because you might hurt my feelings, boo hoo, poor me, but the speed of improvements to the game are truly dependent upon my mood and the slightest thing can have a real trickle down impact. It's 4.30am now instead of 3am. I was really pissed off when I read this thread so I wouldn't have got to sleep whether I went to bed or not. So that's getting up 1-2 hours later now. That's 1-2 hours less time online with my programmer. That's a bad mood for tomorrow because my sleep pattern is now screwed, so less productive. Both of which will remain the case until I get back into a decent working/sleeping pattern.

Yes it would be more professional to just be polite now and to have ignored this thread but I honestly would just be lying in bed pissed off, so even though I'm making myself sound like a big baby, I don't really care because it's a genuine reflection of how things affect me and consequently the game. I don't enjoy the way some complaints are dealt with and they don't help in any way. However, I believe people complain because they do care and because they do want results but people need to deal with complaints in this game differently to how they would with Dell or some other big faceless corporation where the employees are not emotionally invested.

Just remember, nobody is every going to want any improvement implemented more than me. I know there haven't been a lot visible improvements in the last few months and that's largely because we've been working on non-visible stuff behind the scenes, like site security, minor bug fixes etc. I know that's not something that fills people with excitement but it needs doing. I would like people to stick with the game but if they feel it's time to go, whether it's because they don't think improvements are done quick enough or for any other reason thanks for playing and all the best, especially if you have contributed financially.

Edit 2: Just relating to the last point before this, yes I do need some voluntary help with the site. That's what I alluded to in the other thread about setting up some groups of people that would like to work on game logic for new company types. I will revisit that in the forums after I have done a bit more work on the fight engine.

Anyway, I am going to close this thread too and again that is for my own benefit (and consequently the game's) because I'd rather not lie in bed wondering what sort of responses are being posted. And if you think I've made an idiot of myself... keep it to yourself. ;) Goodnight.

• Upvote 4