Fedor vs Henderson official

Christ I started something here lol

Ok let me just clarify what I meant and hope the arguments about the fight end....

Fedor Emeilianenko made his name and set his legacy by fighting naturally bigger men and genuine heavyweights, he went on a winning streak second to none where in almost every fight he was facing a far larger and stronger man yet somehow prevailed through an all around skill

BUT in the last 12 months he has lost via submission (admittidly to a bjj master) and lost via doctor stoppage (to a larger man with exceptional GnP) and a lot of critics and people in the industry have stated he hasn't looked like the old Fedor.

I for one agree that the old Fedor would have destroyed Silva in that match, and after the loss even he threw around the thought of retiring

Herein lies the problem I'm suggesting. A man on a downward spiral can either buck up and stop it or can lose some interest and continue down the slippery road. And as his legacy is based on beating far larger and physically superior men, I felt that a loss to a naturally smaller man who (despite still being a great fighter) is also in the twilight of his career

The Fedor of 5 years ago would have dismantled a smaller man, be it Henderson or any other fighter, and all sensible bets would have been on him (short of a flash ko punch)

My feeling is that if Henderson wins, it could spell the end for Fedors career as everyone that was a fan back in the Pride days will start to wonder what is left of the legend. It is natural that all fighters suffer lulls in a career or get caught having a bad day but 3 straight losses, one to a less skilled man and another to a smaller man, will surely dent the invulnerable aura that has always surrounded him and I for one wouldn't wanna see that aura and reputation tarnished

Ok hope I've explained better now and that people don't just think I'm saying he should retire for losing a few matches, I'm just suggesting if he is on the slide then it may be better to bow out while 95% of true MMA fans think you're the greatest ever lol

IMO Fedor has aged and also the injuries may be a factor for his weak performance. Not sure which of the two is more important, and frankly he also lost a little bit of his motivation, maybe he just got bored of the never ending win streak, no matter how weird this sounds. Somehow it looks like he lost all his trump cards

I for one agree that the old Fedor would have destroyed Silva in that match, and after the loss even he threw around the thought of retiring

I'm unconvinced of the "destroyed" part that, Bigfoot was always a tough fight for Fedor - he's huge, strong, doesn't shy away from getting hit, has a strong jaw and scary top control. The main difference was that Fedor looked exhausted after 5 minutes because his conditioning isn't where it used to be - once Bigfoot worked out how to time Fedors lead punch he took him down pretty effortlessly, and I don't think Fedor could actually stop that shot.

Two guys with KO power and great punch absorbing heads. I think Henderson will test the chin and possibly win a decision. He's the more skilled of the two.

Dan Henderson - 2 wins by submission; 3 losses by submission Hendo

Fedor Emelianenko - 16 wins by sub; 1 loss by sub Fedor

Anyone else believes that Hendo may have some troubles against subs in this bout ?

Silly to say a 10 year unbeaten streak of 30 fights can be erased by 3 losses.

10 yrs fighting bums is starting to show that he isn't that great. anyone can beat cans and have a record like fedor. but at the end of the day he is on a losing streak because he fought someone with some skills. now if he loses to dan Henson which is likely then he should retire for sure.

• Downvote 1

10 yrs fighting bums is starting to show that he isn't that great. anyone can beat cans and have a record like fedor. but at the end of the day he is on a losing streak because he fought someone with some skills. now if he loses to dan Henson which is likely then he should retire for sure.

He should retire when he wants to. It is his job to fight after all. He's nearing the end of his career for sure, but it's not like he lost his skills all at once. Just because he lost two fight out of 30 plus doesn't mean his accomplishments are null and void. His best years are behind him for sure, but he still has more than enough skills to beat a few more guys before he hangs up the gloves.

As for Dan Henderson, it's probably a pretty even match in my opinion.

Striking Aspect: Dan Henderson has the edge, if only slightly.

Clinch: While Henderson is good in the clinch, Fedor is a Sambo monster, and should use it to establish top position.

Ground: Fedor for sure. Henderson isn't all that great off his back, and can be submitted if it gets there. For example, I'm almost 100% sure that Fedor has better grappling than Anderson Silva...but you know, that's only one example.

Dan Henderson will need to keep this fight standing for him to win. If he can't, he's gonna lose.

First i want to say that i hope Hendo knocks his head off. I think Fedor has been over rated for years. But he has way to many advantages in this fight even on the feet. He has way more hand speed than hendo. Hendo shown his chin isnt what it used to be since the Anderson Silva fight. I think these factors will allow Fedor to catch the aging Hendo on the feet and pound him out on the ground. If he isnt able to KO him then his size will still allow him to win a decision in a at times pretty competitive fight. This will just be a fight where a big punch and a chin at 40+ years old just isnt a good test for a bigger more well rounded guy with some of the same tools but more.

I think Fedor has been exposed as a fighter way behind the times. Hendo even with his advanced age should be able to take him. Don't throw around Fedor's record as if it is the end all for any argument unless you are willing to delete all the cans he fought in the last 5 years prior to the Werdum fight.

I think Fedor has been exposed as a fighter way behind the times. Hendo even with his advanced age should be able to take him. Don't throw around Fedor's record as if it is the end all for any argument unless you are willing to delete all the cans he fought in the last 5 years prior to the Werdum fight.

These posts contain a level of hyperbole and idiocy that seems suited to Sherdog (or some equivalent prepubescent moron filled MMA forum).

Without dignifying your posts with too much response: are you seriously arguing that guys who were pretty much universally ranked in the top 10 HWs (at the time of their fights with Fedor) are cans?

Because using that kind of retarded "logic" (saying logic in this context makes me want to puke) every fighter everywhere ever is a can and nobody has accomplished anything in MMA because everybody sucks and has only beaten cans.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this fight. Fedor is overrated and Henderson is getting old. Should be interesting because of weight difference, but I probably won't watch it (maybe the replay).

These posts contain a level of hyperbole and idiocy that seems suited to Sherdog (or some equivalent prepubescent moron filled MMA forum).

Without dignifying your posts with too much response: are you seriously arguing that guys who were pretty much universally ranked in the top 10 HWs (at the time of their fights with Fedor) are cans?

Because using that kind of retarded "logic" (saying logic in this context makes me want to puke) every fighter everywhere ever is a can and nobody has accomplished anything in MMA because everybody sucks and has only beaten cans.

First lets try to keep this friendly. When ever i get into Pride or Pride fighter debates people get butt hurt and want to start name calling. First i will give you an example and some questions. How good do you think Nick Diaz is? How good do you think Paul Daley is? Daley is a good fighter. Diaz is a good fighter. But Diaz is not a great fighter. He is huge holes but can look great when he can hide from bad match ups...Sub wrestlers. The way SF protected him he could have knocked off win after win until he drew SSI. In the real world outside the Pride bubble. There are strikers, wrestlers, BJJ guys, fast guys, strong guys, older guys and Younger guys, etc. To be the best you have to fight ALL comers. Thats why everyone loses and title runs are often 2 years on average. Fedor like many before and since was likely the #1 guy at a time. But he stood out above people he was really equal to because there were no world class wrestlers to LnP a decision against his "perfect record". He didnt have to face younger prospects who are stronger and or faster. Since the last time Pride brought in new fighters was 2002 5 years before their demise. Keep in mind Fedors wrestling threat in Pride was 40 year old Coleman who blew out his knees and lost 3 fights and was booted from the UFC and Randleman also lost his way out of the UFC. Not exactly top level modern day wrestling based fighters. They were journyman even by those standards back then. If the UFC were to do this they can make anyone look unbeatable. Ban Younger fighters and high level wrestlers and Chuck and Randy would still own the LHW and HW titles. Fedor was a top HW on par with all the great HWs that reach the top for a short time. But Fedor was protected by the Pride way of doing things and was build into god like status. The same thing was done with Gomi. He was owned by Penn and went back to japan where he got hyped back to being unbeatable. Wanderlei got owned by Vitor and beat by Tito then goes on a god like 6 year title run in Japan. Not only did this god like status only start in Japan but it ends when they leave Japan. So please, lets not act like there is no merit to Fedor not being as good as he was hyped to be. When you get a Champ of a curtain group and then you say "Thats it, no one else gets in the group" You tend to keep the same champ for a very very long time. If Fedor gets the belt and the number 1 spot and then gets knocked off by a younger up and comer like the Cains and Santos' we see in the UFC. Then he goes down as a regular former champ like the Nogs, Colemans, Arlovski, Sylvia, Coutures, Lesnars,, etc. That came before and after him.

WOW!!!! Ok, BrainSmasher, I love reading some of the stuff you write but you've gotta cut down on these long ass stories. Make it a few sentences and then post.

WOW!!!! Ok, BrainSmasher, I love reading some of the stuff you write but you've gotta cut down on these long ass stories. Make it a few sentences and then post.

lol, i wish i could. It is hard to control such a master piece of posting. My fingers get a life of their own. Holy crap i cant stop kdhdfHASUIOFHWHFuiojhfiojhfwdhejfiojhwioefhwioefwejfioj....

Prior to Werdum the guys he fought were cans. Fedor used to be the man, but MMA advanced and he did not. Back then you could win without being in shape or quick. Now days the sport has progressed to a point where you need to be a complete athlete. Fedor is still the same pudgy guy he has always been. M1 just does everything in it's power to give him people they know he can beat. Fedor can't beat any of the top guys now days. Not quick enough to take advantage of Brock's pathetic standup. Not strong enough to handle Velasquez in any area. Overeem would run through him. Carwin would knock his head off. Werdum already beat him as did Bigfoot. JDS would likely beat him as well though we haven't seen as much as I would like of his ground game. Fedor isn't top 10 P4P because he isn't even a top 10 HW.

So, who did Fedor fight in the time period in question?

Brett Rogers - Only had 9 fights with the only opponent worth mentioning being a way past his prime Arlovski. He wasn't even a full time fighter. He was still working for the Home Depot.

Arlovsky - Way past his prime. The guy needs to retire before his lights get put out for good.

Sylvia - Ray Mercer.... Wow, that was hard to watch. Had lost 2 of his last 3 leading into that fight. Recent notable wins at the time were Arlovski (on everyone's list) and Vera. Not top 10 material.

Hong Man-Choi - Only his 2nd ever MMA fight and he is now 2-3. But, he was sure impressive kickboxing against Bob Sapp and Akebono. Why the hell would a yokozuna kickbox? :(

Lindland - So far the toughest of the names mentioned, but still past his prime. None the less I will give credit for taking the fight even if Lindland was a MW. At this point Lindland was still giving tough fights.

Mark Hunt - Always willing to take the tough fights. Just not always able to win them. He fought Fedor coming off a loss which put him on a 6 fight losing streak.

Mark Coleman - Please don't make me explain this one. Coleman was a legend prior to 2000. Sadly, that is not when they fought.

Wagner Martins - Who?