Who really deserves the shot at GSP?

ringfinger

The ESPN poll this morning overwhelmingly had Diaz in the lead. I don't get it. Condit has had much better competition. Diaz throws his finger in the air and gets the fight because of the increase in hype. This is bad for the sport. I know that Diaz vs GSP is more entertaining and I will definitely watch, but you can't say that he deserves the match over Condit.

Moral of the story is if you want a big payday in MMA make an ass of yourself. In other sports, win.

Moral of the story is if you want a big payday in MMA make an ass of yourself. In other sports, win.

most sports dont have big paydays. just to put some perspective ... not everyone who excels at something gets paid. only those who other people wanna watch and that has a lot to do with acquired taste for a sport and being exposed to it and all that ...

who deserves what is also very subjective here .. not really "you cant say"-material. if GSP wants to get up for Diaz and Diaz wants to get up for GSP and Condit got no problem working longer to reach his goal than let em have it.

or welcome to an unfair world, you know .. no big deal whatsoever and "bad for the sport" is a really overused term

Condit don't deserve it more than diaz in my opinion,he lost vs kampmann and his last two wins was vs hardy and a random japanese guys LOL .

Diaz won vs Bj penn and bj just made a draw with Fitch ,and fitch definitely deserve a title shot .

Maybe they should make fitch vs condit .

He didn't just hold down or submit Hardy, he KO'd him. And that "random japanese" guy was undefeated. The loss to Kampmann was very close and didn't negatively effect my opinion of either fighter. Ellenburger is tough as hell too. He has an impressive run going.

most sports dont have big paydays. just to put some perspective ... not everyone who excels at something gets paid. only those who other people wanna watch and that has a lot to do with acquired taste for a sport and being exposed to it and all that ...

who deserves what is also very subjective here .. not really "you cant say"-material. if GSP wants to get up for Diaz and Diaz wants to get up for GSP and Condit got no problem working longer to reach his goal than let em have it.

or welcome to an unfair world, you know .. no big deal whatsoever and "bad for the sport" is a really overused term

I know that making the fights that fans want to see has to play a part for this business to be successful. I just hate to see a guy "earn" it by being an ass.

He didn't just hold down or submit Hardy, he KO'd him. And that "random japanese" guy was undefeated. The loss to Kampmann was very close and didn't negatively effect my opinion of either fighter. Ellenburger is tough as hell too. He has an impressive run going.

diego sanchez won vs kampman , the fight was closed too ,if u think about who deserve it more , then it's fitch but no one want see fitch lol .

Most of the times i would agree with u , often we see some guys who didn't deserve it get a title shot , but after last fight from nick diaz i think he deserves it .

My solution is just have condit fight diaz and the winner fights GSP, but i given the question condit should get the shot he was promised to get otherwise the UFC looks like shit if they just give the shot to diaz, have condit only lose his shot if he lost to diaz.

I think GSP is a lot more worried about fighting Condit than Diaz.

for sure. diaz has zero wrestling and will just get dominated by gsp's takedowns, and his only real chance to win will be to manage to take gsp's back and choke him out (unlikely), or slap on a triangle (unlikely). condit's a much more dangerous fight for gsp.

My solution is just have condit fight diaz and the winner fights GSP, but i given the question condit should get the shot he was promised to get otherwise the UFC looks like shit if they just give the shot to diaz, have condit only lose his shot if he lost to diaz.

i think it depends on gsp's injury. if he can fight within the next month or two, then keep the condit fight on the books. if he's gonna be out for like 4-6 months, then definitely set up the condit/diaz fight.

i know its dependent on the injury, but they shouldnt give the shot to diaz just because of his win over bj, if diaz gets a shot of GSP before Condit, and condit hasnt lost to Nick or GSP then its entirely crap and the UFC loses a lot of respect in my eyes. Chances are GSP wont be back till after the new year and willl probably defend in january or february meaning there is some time to do a diaz condit fight, but i would rather see condit GSP then diaz GSP

Condit don't deserve it more than diaz in my opinion,he lost vs kampmann and his last two wins was vs hardy and a random japanese guys LOL .

Diaz won vs Bj penn and bj just made a draw with Fitch ,and fitch definitely deserve a title shot .

Maybe they should make fitch vs condit .

You're seriously calling undefeated Dong Hyun Kim "a random Japanese guy"?! He is head and shoulders above Cyborg Santos, Paul Daley and an unmotivated, clearly undertrained and natural lightweight BJ Penn as an opponent. Condit deserves the title shot more than Diaz, but I really want to see Diaz get totally outclassed and humiliated, so I'm glad that Dana has given GSP the opportunity to do it. Saying that, I bet Diaz finds another way to duck out of the fight again. The guy is tough as nails and a fantastic athlete but his technique sucks and frankly he's a fraud IMO.

I'm pretty sure Stun Gun is Korean...

Diaz is a fraud? His technique sucks?

His boxing is bad, but head and shoulders above most MMA guys, and his ground game is fantastic...

• Upvote 1

If Condit has no problem with it, I don't see why anybody else should. I don't think GSP is too scared to fight Condit or anything like that, even if Condit is the more difficult match for him.

Jake Ellenberger? He knocked out GSP's most recent opponent.

It's a tossup as to who deserves it "more." Probably Condit though.

I'd like to see Condit rematch Ellenberger, winner gets Diaz/GSP winner. Actually, I'd almost bet money that's how it plays out.

I'm pretty sure Stun Gun is Korean...

Diaz is a fraud? His technique sucks?

His boxing is bad, but head and shoulders above most MMA guys, and his ground game is fantastic...

Should have specified his stand up, he is terrific on the ground without a doubt. His boxing is appauling, really, really sloppy. He just has a tremendous chin and cardio, but he doesn't throw punches properly, his combos are all wide arm punches and he doesn't have any clue how to defend. He's like a poor man's Antonio Margarito. Relentless pressure and great cardio and endurance make up for a blatant lack of skill.

Is Diaz seriously an "elite" fighter because he dusted off a list of bums in Strikeforce and scored a decision over a blown up, undertrained BJ Penn? He hasn't beaten any top level Welterweights yet has the tag of one of the best in the world...he still has an awful lot of work to do IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Should have specified his stand up, he is terrific on the ground without a doubt. His boxing is appauling, really, really sloppy. He just has a tremendous chin and cardio, but he doesn't throw punches properly, his combos are all wide arm punches and he doesn't have any clue how to defend. He's like a poor man's Antonio Margarito. Relentless pressure and great cardio and endurance make up for a blatant lack of skill.

Is Diaz seriously an "elite" fighter because he dusted off a list of bums in Strikeforce and scored a decision over a blown up, undertrained BJ Penn? He hasn't beaten any top level Welterweights yet has the tag of one of the best in the world...he still has an awful lot of work to do IMO.

I agree 100%. Diaz is tough as nails and that is why people think his boxing is good. And he has been fighting bums. I think he matches up good with GSP and has a chance to win due to GSP not being the toughest guy out there and not being a great BJJ guy. But overall i think he is worse than he was his first go around in the UFC and when he fights non showcase fights he will be in for a rude awakening. I picked Diaz to beat Penn because Peen is lazy and doesnt move. But i was suprised to see a fresh Penn rape him in round 1. That was really the best opponent Diaz could ask for. Condit would use his wrestling to edge him out. Ellenburger, Story, Koscheck, Alves, Hendricks, and Fitch would all beat him and most would crush him. I think Diaz is to slow and has been given a steady dose of strikes and many of those have used his speed against him smashing him early in the fight. He wont be able to hide the speed and wrestling hole like he did in SF.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

for the record, diaz has pretty horrible striking defense. he's good at punches-in-bunches and throwing accurate shots, but he gets hit a lot and his reach is a huge reason why he's successful. take away his reach advantage and he's just an above-average striker (if you don't count kicks, since he almost never kicks and when he does it's just to mix things up and not to do any actual damage) with average-to-below-average defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You're seriously calling undefeated Dong Hyun Kim "a random Japanese guy"?! He is head and shoulders above Cyborg Santos, Paul Daley and an unmotivated, clearly undertrained and natural lightweight BJ Penn as an opponent. Condit deserves the title shot more than Diaz, but I really want to see Diaz get totally outclassed and humiliated, so I'm glad that Dana has given GSP the opportunity to do it. Saying that, I bet Diaz finds another way to duck out of the fight again. The guy is tough as nails and a fantastic athlete but his technique sucks and frankly he's a fraud IMO.

Not only that. He is also Korean.

After his performance against Penn I think Diaz is the logical choice. His takedown defense didn't look too great, but once on the ground Penn couldn't get anything off. And I would say that Penn is pretty good on top. Diaz never did too good against fighters with a good wrestling base, but I think he's gotten better and none of them had to go 5 rounds with him either. I preferred Condit for the shot at first, but now I rather see Diaz fight for the title.

The ESPN poll this morning overwhelmingly had Diaz in the lead. I don't get it. Condit has had much better competition. Diaz throws his finger in the air and gets the fight because of the increase in hype. This is bad for the sport. I know that Diaz vs GSP is more entertaining and I will definitely watch, but you can't say that he deserves the match over Condit.

I disagree completely. Condit didn't have better competition. He crawled through the eye of a needle against Ellenberger and Rory, and Hardy isn't great. Dong Hyun Kim was by far his best performance, but that's just one fight. Diaz' performance against Penn was much more impressive than any of Condit's wins.

I don't think it's up to you to decide what's good for the sport. I think Diaz certainly deserves to fight for the title above Condit on merrit of his performances. That Diaz has a big mouth is just something we have to take with it.

• Upvote 1

I don't see why people vote down the posts about Diaz having technically poor hands and bad striking defense.

His punches are pretty sloppy in themselves, but he utilizes them perfectly.

He gets hit a lot, but he has great gas, insane recovery and a great chin, so he can work through it.

I don't see why people vote down the posts about Diaz having technically poor hands and bad striking defense.

His punches are pretty sloppy in themselves, but he utilizes them perfectly.

He gets hit a lot, but he has great gas, insane recovery and a great chin, so he can work through it.

My inner diaglouge while I watch Diaz fight... "Why is he sticking his chin out? Put your hands up son! Your gonna gas out swinging like that. Wow those are weak strikes." A few minutes and hundreds of strikes later he wins via TKO or his opponent ends up looking like hamburger. Seems like his striking works just fine.

• Upvote 1