Skyrim

It's weird, I bought Oblivion, played it for about 2 hours, put it back in the box and never picked it up again until I traded it in a few weeks later.Barely touched the surface probably wasn't quite the correct term, I just mean that I've done a fair few missions but I have so many open goals, everyone I speak to is offering me more all the time to the point now I refuse them as it's getting hard to remember what the hell I'm doing lol. I just know that despite the 50 hours there is so much more to do and I'm hardly into the main storyline at all, only visited about 4 of the major cities.I've never really played a game like it before, I've always liked RPG's but most of them just haven't clicked with me, not since Zelda: A Link to the Past back on the Snes which must have been late 90's. That and Super Metroid, awesome!!By the way never played or even heard of Baldurs Gate, what platform was it on? Have to give it a try if I can find an old PC copy or something, I assume they don't have it on the PS3 :D

I think this is the main reason why some people couldn't get far into Oblivion. It was far to broad and far to easy for people to get sidetracked for hours and feeling no sense of accomplishment. On the other side of that coin is a game like Fable 1 where there is plenty of guidance and is very easy and condensed....but the replay value isn't very high in my opinion (I love getting Skorms bow though :D )

And about Baldurs Gate; Pretty sure it's only on the PC.....or at least I've only ever played it on a PC. It is one of few games to use the D&D infinity engine and you can easily torrent it. Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of Amn is a little harder to get into at the start but my god......the games are truly a masterpiece. Black Isle Studios were the bomb. The voice acting and soundtrack to the game were unbelievable and give me goosebumps........ I don't want to grow up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kmmggc6jH8

Got the game and love it, the face that there are so many side quests and random things you can do to make the gameplay last really makes this a game I could see myself keeping, seeing as I am someone who usually will get games and trade them in during deals. I see no trading for this game in any near future though.

50 hours and you barely touched the surface? There are way to many things to waste time on that have no foreseeable closure in Bethesda games lol

All I know is the storyline and the gameplay have to be well worth it to be pouring those kind of hours into it.. I could never do more than a few hours in one sitting playing oblivion, it felt endless and like I would never taste closure. The hack and slash fighting dynamics also get very old, very fast for me.

Makes me sit back and think of how good games like Baldurs Gate were. That game was released in 1998 and a lot of people will tell you it is the best RPG ever. I get shivers and goosebumps when I hear some of the soundtrack to that game, the nostalgia is through the roof. Maybe that is the main reason why myself and Bethesda games have never got along... the lack of nostalgia and the (in my eyes) dilution

I hope one day to get into Skyrim, but after watching 30 minutes of gameplay I don't see myself ever doing so.

Uh....yeah, trust me, dude. Skyrim's the game Oblivion SHOULD have been. I don't play it as much now, but you can just pick it up, do whatever, put it back down, come back later, and still have a really fun game.

Also, this is the same PC I ran Oblivion on. Not ONE crash to desktop in Skyrim. And much more stable in general!

For anyone else that's got Skyrim I'm having a major issue which is bugging the hell out of me!

I have a couple of quests which are in Hob's Fall Cave, seems simple enough, I can see the place on my map, just east of Frostflow Lighthouse, the problem is I can't find the bloody entrance anywhere! Even my buddy who follows me around said at one point, 'Look there's a cave here'. I wasn't really paying attention to him though to see where he was looking and now for the life of me I can't find a way in, I go east from the lighthouse, look around everywhere until I get to the bottom of the sodding cliff and then on the map it shows I've obviously gone past it.

All I can think is that although the goal is active, maybe I need to do some other goal before the entrance reveals itself?

Ahh I never played Baldurs Gate on a console.............apparently Black Isle was behind those too which is sweet. It looks very similar to Dnd Heroes on xbox, maybe I'll check it out

I would be interested to know how the PC version of Skyrim compares to the 360 one......I'm thinking of either upgrading my PC or buying a 360

What kind of character builds you have?

Im currently rocking the plains of Skyrim with lvl27 khajiit stealth archer/assassin. I have put most of my perks to archery, sneak, light armor and smithing. Next up Im gonna update my alchemy skills so I can make even stronger poisons.

Did you know... that you can powerlevel smithing by buying all the leather strips and iron ingots from the smiths and then just craft iron daggers? =)

Anyone else come up to big bugs? Right now my brother is supposed to be learning a shout from Wulfgar, but the dude just shrugs his shoulders. I am also having a problem getting a new shout. The greybeards tell me where to go, but then when I get to the place there isn't much of a word on the wall. It is a slight shade different than the rest of the words on the wall, but there is that stream of whatever flowing from it. And it never absorbs it. My issue seems it can be worked around, my brother's issue has stopped his progress of the main quest.

I went Breton, maxed out enchanting and smithing as soon as I could. I think my guy is 50 right now. Playing on Master difficulty, I ran into way too many things that instantly killed me, so I have been playing on expert, so I am the only one that instantly kills anything. Spells seem impossible to level. All my spell skills are around 30. I don't think picking a certain race played much of a role in the game. The 25% magic resist as a Breton is nice though. I never use the daily skill.

Also, when you do that daggers thing, save them for enchanting. They are light so you can hold a bunch of them, and when you enchant them you can sell them for like 200.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

how high do you have to get your enchanting to make it worth it to enchant something like the dragon armor? i don't want to put some weakass enchantment on it and then end up being pissed that i didn't wait until i could put stronger spells on it, since dragon scales aren't as easy to come by as the stuff you need to craft other weapons/armor. i have a dragon scale helmet and boots, but i'm not even using them right now (i make my followers use them) since i'd rather use my enchanted stuff to get the bonuses. i can't remember exactly, but i think my enchanting skill is around 30 right now.

also, i heard that the best way to level enchanting is to do it with gold rings, petty gems, and the sneak enchantment (i think it was sneak anyway), cuz you can then sell them for over a grand each. and to make sure you activate that rune that gives you the bonus to leveling. does it matter what you craft, or does everything improve your skill at the same rate? and where can i find a bunch of gold to make the rings? i don't think i've seen any vendors selling it, and i've only found like two or 3 gold ingots so far.

lastly, what do you guys kill to fill soul gems? i've killed people with a soul trap mace that i have (the only reason it's taking up space in my inventory is cuz i don't have the spell yet), but it always says something like "the soul is too powerful" or something. oh, and is there any reason to save/collect broken soul gem pieces? can you ever combine them to form a full gem?

as far as the game goes, i made one of those tiger people in order to have night vision. i've never even used his claws (which is his other "ability") so i'm not sure the purpose of them, since surely they aren't any more powerful than even just an upgraded iron dagger. i'm a sneaky archer anyway, so i'm rarely close enough to enemies for hand-to-hand combat. and i've got so many potions it's ridiculous lol. i could prob drop like 150lbs of weight if removed them from my inventory, cuz i almost never use them (the occasional poisoned arrow or fire resistance is about all i've used so far, other than weak health potions as neeeded). does using them help boost your alchemy stat? if so i'll start using them more just for that.

oh, and is there any reason to keep the "bee in a jar" and "butterfly in a jar" that i've found? i've thought about just dropping them on the table in my house in whiterun, but i'm not sure if they'd just disappear after i left the house.

Can't help you with your questions but where do you go to craft dragon armour.. how many scales/bones do you need??

I haven't even been to see the grey beards yet as I thought i would do the dark brotherhood quests first. they are all done now.

I went with a wood elf due to teh archery bonus and leveling up sneak is a piece of piss so the cat people i thought were a waste of starting bonuses,

as far as the game goes, i made one of those tiger people in order to have night vision. i've never even used his claws (which is his other "ability") so i'm not sure the purpose of them, since surely they aren't any more powerful than even just an upgraded iron dagger. i'm a sneaky archer anyway, so i'm rarely close enough to enemies for hand-to-hand combat. and i've got so many potions it's ridiculous lol. i could prob drop like 150lbs of weight if removed them from my inventory, cuz i almost never use them (the occasional poisoned arrow or fire resistance is about all i've used so far, other than weak health potions as neeeded). does using them help boost your alchemy stat? if so i'll start using them more just for that.

oh, and is there any reason to keep the "bee in a jar" and "butterfly in a jar" that i've found? i've thought about just dropping them on the table in my house in whiterun, but i'm not sure if they'd just disappear after i left the house.

things are fine if left in your house.

I dropped all my mana and health potions in my house and I usually find plenty elsewhere.

This might be cheating, but I do it any way. To get enchanting up, I enchant iron daggers that I made to level up smithing. You can reset a vendor's inventory by saving, killing them, and then loading the save. So in the future, I will just keep doing this and buy petty gems, full and empty. To fill them I go around killing crabs. Enchant the daggers with stamina drain, or the turn undead thing. Unsummon deadra seems to be the highest by far, but I didn't find that until later. Also if you get absorb health enchantment, that will sell for more than stamina drain.

The kill vendor works for alchemy also. Alchemy takes way too long to level and I feel this is a justified way of doing it. I haven't used the kill vendor thing yet to level stuff, but it seems like a good idea instead of hopping between cities vendor hopping.

You need 100 smithing to make dragon armor. If you are a heavy armor user, daedric is the way to go.

People souls require a black soul gem to capture. People souls are also grand, so when you do the Azura quest, make sure you don't give Azura the star. The star is reusable, so it is pretty nifty.

When enchanting it doesn't seem to matter what you make, you get the same experience, same with smithing. So iron daggers all the way on smithing. And then enchant those daggers for enchanting. Alchemy is a pain. It seems to be determined by the potion's value. Giant toes and wheat make a nifty potion that sells good and gives a decent boost to alchemy. I usually try to get multiple stats on all the potions I make by using 3 ingredients every time.

This might be cheating, but I do it any way. To get enchanting up, I enchant iron daggers that I made to level up smithing. You can reset a vendor's inventory by saving, killing them, and then loading the save. So in the future, I will just keep doing this and buy petty gems, full and empty. To fill them I go around killing crabs. Enchant the daggers with stamina drain, or the turn undead thing. Unsummon deadra seems to be the highest by far, but I didn't find that until later. Also if you get absorb health enchantment, that will sell for more than stamina drain.

The kill vendor works for alchemy also. Alchemy takes way too long to level and I feel this is a justified way of doing it. I haven't used the kill vendor thing yet to level stuff, but it seems like a good idea instead of hopping between cities vendor hopping.

You need 100 smithing to make dragon armor. If you are a heavy armor user, daedric is the way to go.

People souls require a black soul gem to capture. People souls are also grand, so when you do the Azura quest, make sure you don't give Azura the star. The star is reusable, so it is pretty nifty.

When enchanting it doesn't seem to matter what you make, you get the same experience, same with smithing. So iron daggers all the way on smithing. And then enchant those daggers for enchanting. Alchemy is a pain. It seems to be determined by the potion's value. Giant toes and wheat make a nifty potion that sells good and gives a decent boost to alchemy. I usually try to get multiple stats on all the potions I make by using 3 ingredients every time.

yeah i did iron daggers and hide bracers to level up smithing to 100, but i sold all the daggers to clear inventory space. never heard of that kill vendor thing. seems a bit cheesy, but maybe i'll do it if i desperately need to get something up. for now it's easy enough to just go to each town and loot every vendor, since i'm not really in any hurry. i don't even power up my enchanted bow anymore, since the legendary glass bow kills just about anything i've seen so far with a few headshots (especially when sneaking), so i'll just take my time on getting enchanting up higher.

i stopped doing alchemy since the potions weigh more than the ingredients, and i don't like them taking up inventory space since i probably use an average of like 1 potion per hour that i play the game lol. i just stock up one some of each in case i run into a mission where i need to collect shit for someone, since i've had to do that a few times already.

i use light armor, but sold the dragon scales of the first couple dragons that i killed (before i knew they were used to make dragon armor), so i've got a bunch of dragon bones that i don't even need, and not enough scales to create the rest of the dragon gear and upgrade it yet. i can't remember what vendor i sold the scales to either, or i'd check to see if i can buy them back.

On Master difficulty, drinking potions is like all I do. My cousin says he gets ultimate potions all the time, but I have to rely on my stock of crafted health and magicka potions because potions don't seem to exist other than at vendors. At 46 with my spell casting character all I get are the 25 pt potions.

Can't help you with your questions but where do you go to craft dragon armour.. how many scales/bones do you need??

I haven't even been to see the grey beards yet as I thought i would do the dark brotherhood quests first. they are all done now.

I went with a wood elf due to teh archery bonus and leveling up sneak is a piece of piss so the cat people i thought were a waste of starting bonuses,

for dragon armor you have to get smithing to 100 and then use skill points to unlock the ability to craft it. iirc, the light armor bracers and boots each take 2 scales+leather+iron ingot to make, and another scale to improve to legendary. the body armor i think is 3 scales+leather+ingot, and the shield is like 4 scales+1bone+leather+ingot. i think the heavy armor is all the same, but with bones instead of scales.

what city do the dark brotherhood quests start in? i just got to the mage college last night before i stopped playing for the day. i've joined the thieves guild already and did some of their quests, but haven't finished em yet. the only city i think i'm finished with is windhelm, except i haven't done the drinking contest yet.

i'll tell you one thing, it amazes me that they fit all this content onto just one disc for the 360. there's SO much spoken dialogue, and the world is pretty massive. i wonder how many total NPC's are in the game that speak to you, cuz it's gotta be like 1000 of em, at least.

i'm not sure why i didn't choose an elf, cuz i knew i'd probably be using a bow for the most part. oh well, at least having night vision comes in handy. and i just read that the daedric bow is better than the glass bow, so i guess i'll be making one of those next.