Warrior

Yeah as they say, Manchester born and in bred (though its stockport not Manchester really) lol

Well it was more the late 90's onwards, think big geordie signed up in 96 and arguably my oldest friend Dunc Evans signed up in '97. Based up at Catterick but did a lot in Ireland and obviously did the odd spell in the silly hats lol

Yeah as they say, Manchester born and in bred (though its stockport not Manchester really) lol

Well it was more the late 90's onwards, think big geordie signed up in 96 and arguably my oldest friend Dunc Evans signed up in '97. Based up at Catterick but did a lot in Ireland and obviously did the odd spell in the silly hats lol

ahh i left in 95 , but continued to work in a capacity for the MOD , and often came across the lads in windsor castle and buck house , infact around 97 a very good friend of mine got to regemental sergeant major "vince bell" , they would both know him i suspect , also " carl cheeseborough" became regemental seargent major later on , i used to play rugby with him in hong kong.

my last real contact with the regiment was while they were serving in chelsea brks london , i think they moved up north after this.

I'm not going to see it. I'm pretty sure that I won't like it. I just never liked martial arts movies. I don't like sports movies in general, but especially martial arts movies always seem to suck balls. There's just not much to say about it. The movie will talk about hard work, dedication, fame, adversity and in the end against all odds the hero will succeed. I probably will see Moneyball at one point.

the film BLOODSPORT

will share a little story with you here that is true.

while serving with the british army i was posted on a two year tour of Hong Kong in Stanley Fort brks.in 1986

during my time there , many great things happened , but one in particular stood out,

We were getting ready for a six week tour of Korea to provide a hounor guard so had to learn american foot and arms drill and one day a film crew turned up on our camp.

they started filming us and we were told it was for a few scenes in a new martial arts film.

over the next couple of weeks the film crew were seen all over the camp filming scenes and a lot of soldiers were used as extras and a lot of the army buildings etc were used/converted for use in the film.

also our physical trainning instructor i think his name was Vik Reeves or that was his nick name was used in one of the actual fights featured in the film.

nobody knew or had even heard of Van Damm at the time , and all he was to us was a little bloke , and i mean realy little , who was a supposed actor.

well they finished filming and i never gave it a second thought untill i returned to london in 1988

i dont know exactly when it was but being bored one night , i decided to rent a video from the local shop , and picked up the film Bloodsport

i still hadnt made the conection , and it was only when i sat down to watch it i had that OMFG feeling :)

at the time i had no idea what they had filmed or were going to include in the film so it came as a suprise that large amounts of the scenes are actualy filmed in stanley fort hong kong , and nearly all the extras in crowd scenes are infact british soldiers, also at the begining of the film

you see van damm on an army base with what you assume to be american soldiers in the background? , they are not , they are infact no.2 company The Coldstream Guards.

the school scene , is infact the NAFFI and not a school .

just thought i would share this.

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/paco_bloodsport.jpg

thats a pretty crazy story...thanks for sharing. musta been weird to be randomly watching the movie and to finally put things together. Paco from the movie (Paulo Tocha) is big in the Muay Thai scene here in Southern California. he reffed some fights at my gym a couple months back. was cool meeting him, not because of Bloodsport, but because two groups of guys split from our gym and started a couple other MT gyms in LA. i was pretty drunk and got to get his opinion on the whole situation.

I have to say that it was another cheesy American movie about the good guys and the buy guys :( Nothing actually interesting only those funny fights :D

who exactly was the good guy and who was the bad guy?

I'm not going to see it. I'm pretty sure that I won't like it. I just never liked martial arts movies. I don't like sports movies in general, but especially martial arts movies always seem to suck balls. There's just not much to say about it. The movie will talk about hard work, dedication, fame, adversity and in the end against all odds the hero will succeed. I probably will see Moneyball at one point.

so youre an MMA fan that doesnt like sports movies but youll watch a movie about baseball and not watch an actual good movie that involves MMA?

for what its worth, Nick Nolte is probably gonna get screwed out of an award.

for what its worth, Nick Nolte is probably gonna get screwed out of an award.

Ignore humors, our shitty American cinema is nothing compared to the art pieces he watches, we're not worthy. The bad guy was clearly the one who lost, because the good guy never loses in our movies.

I'm not sure about Nick Nolte getting an award for that, it was a good performance and all, and I actually got the Moby Dick thing. Who knows, he may sneak in there for a supporting actor nod somewhere but he's not exactly the ass kisser that most Hollywood types are. He's always been a fine actor though.

Ignore humors, our shitty American cinema is nothing compared to the art pieces he watches, we're not worthy. The bad guy was clearly the one who lost, because the good guy never loses in our movies.

I'm not sure about Nick Nolte getting an award for that, it was a good performance and all, and I actually got the Moby Dick thing. Who knows, he may sneak in there for a supporting actor nod somewhere but he's not exactly the ass kisser that most Hollywood types are. He's always been a fine actor though.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/11/21/nick-nolte-on-warrior-going-indie-and-his-oscar-prospects.html

my favorite part of the interview:

"Before the award Ian McKellen came up to me and said, ‘I don’t care if you get it or I get it or the kid with the bald head and tattoos gets it. But if that little Italian fuck gets it, I’m going to be very upset.’ So then it was announced that Benigni got it. At the break, I looked over to where Ian was sitting and he wasn’t in his seat, and neither was Ed Norton. So I quickly said, ‘Uh, I’ve got to go to the bathroom,’ and got out just before I was locked in. I went to the bar and there they were. I came walking up to Ian and he said, ‘Nolte, I don’t know why you thought you would get it. You only play yourself.’ And Ian had just played a gay director and I said, ‘Look who’s calling the kettle black!’ And we both turned on Ed Norton and said, ‘What did you think, a bald head and a few tattoos were going to get you one?’ And we had the best damn time."

so youre an MMA fan that doesnt like sports movies but youll watch a movie about baseball and not watch an actual good movie that involves MMA?

I think that it's more a movie about statistics and how it relates to sport scouting. I heavily considered a career as statistitian in a number of fields when I chose my education. It's almost impossible to have an interesting, creative and unpredictable sports story because pretty much all happened already in non-fiction. I do like some sports documentaries though. I recommend Senna and Closer to the Edge even to non-race fans.

I think that it's more a movie about statistics and how it relates to sports scouting. I heavily considered a career as statistitian in a number of fields when I chose my education. It's almost impossible to have an interesting, creative and unpredictable sports story because pretty much all happened already in non-fiction. I do like some sports documentaries though. I recommend Senna and Closer to the Edge even to non-race fans.

yeah...when i was younger, i was interested in Bill James and his theories about sabermetrics. would probably still be interested in it if i really followed baseball closely these days. i still do fantasy football (for money), baseball and basketball but the funny thing is i dont even really watch any games any more. still do well but all i watch is MMA now.

the movie isnt perfect but is good enough for an MMA movie. also, i think MMA and boxing are really hard to capture correctly to make it look authentic. obviously its a movie, but i think they did a good enough job of capturing the essence of a fight. need to rewatch it though...only saw it in the theater. though, the Bluray has been sitting here for three days since my girl has been "too busy" to sit down with me and watch it. id say its a movie that non-MMA fans can like also.

not that rotten tomatoes is the end all be all of movies but the ratings arent bad. moneyball's is better but its also a more mainstream movie. when i saw the trailer for Warrior, i thought it would be garbage but the movie was better than the trailer depicted.

Warrior 83/93

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1212910-warrior/

Moneyball 95/89

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/moneyball/

on a related topic, i watched the movie "beatdown" recently, and it was pretty god-awful. it had a nice handful of pro mma guys in it, although the only one that had any dialogue was bisping. not that that's a bad thing though, since i would assume that they probably can't act for shit. bisping acted ok, he basically seemed pretty much just like he is in real life. the problem was that the story was trite garbage that could have been written by a 12 year old, and the camera effects were HORRIBLE and made the fights pretty un-interesting to watch (constant quick-cuts, camera blur, shake, etc)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1568323

maybe give it a glance if it's on free tv like i did, but do not pay any money to see this movie, nor waste any time downloading a torrent.

Something i though about years ago. Why doesnt someone do a movie on MMA (or any sport) around an actual fight. When doing the story about a fighter. Have the build up to the fight. Put the actual real fight in the movie. Write the rest of the movie based on the results of the fight. You can bring reality into a fictional story. Get real fighter to play the lead role. This come to me while watching all the shitty choreographed fighting in movies. even in Warrior they had Kurt Angle just throwing someone against the cage from 10 feet away.

Something i though about years ago. Why doesnt someone do a movie on MMA (or any sport) around an actual fight. When doing the story about a fighter. Have the build up to the fight. Put the actual real fight in the movie. Write the rest of the movie based on the results of the fight. You can bring reality into a fictional story. Get real fighter to play the lead role. This come to me while watching all the shitty choreographed fighting in movies. even in Warrior they had Kurt Angle just throwing someone against the cage from 10 feet away.

They tried something like this in Goal 3, which was just awful in comparison to the first two. They based it around the world cup and they just kind of plugged the actors into the matches with some old school effects.

But that would be an interesting idea, as long as the fight is actually decent. I mean I'd hate to see a movie based around Mayhem/Bisping, Starnes/Quarry, or something like that.

They tried something like this in Goal 3, which was just awful in comparison to the first two. They based it around the world cup and they just kind of plugged the actors into the matches with some old school effects.

But that would be an interesting idea, as long as the fight is actually decent. I mean I'd hate to see a movie based around Mayhem/Bisping, Starnes/Quarry, or something like that.

Overeem/brock would be good lol

AK47 is the kind of fight i was thinking about. A fight where you know someone is going to get slaughtered. Depending on which fighter you are following, it could be both, depending on what the movie is about. The story could be written with both outcomes. The Alternate ending could be on the DVD. If he would have won/lost this si what his life would have been like. With a real fight you get realism to promote. You also get real damage and emotions from the win/loss.

I agree with Marc. A bad fight would suck. I dont think Bisping/Miller would be that bad. Much worse fights that that. It was sloppy and one sided but it moved at a decent pace and there was some action going on. Not much drama though. But better than a Lay n Pray fest.

This would have been fantastic for Genki Sudo to have done.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjI2MjIxOTUwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDM5NjcxNw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg Top 500

Haywire (2011)

http://i.media-imdb.com/images/SF6a1672fc3e526ce0682888a70bb3ef80/certificates/gb/15.png Action | Thriller - 18 January 2012 (UK) 7.8 Your rating: -/10 Ratings: 7.8/10 from 199 users

Reviews: write review | 2 critic

A black ops super soldier seeks payback after she is betrayed and set up during a mission.

Director:

Steven Soderbergh

Writer:

Lem Dobbs

Stars:

Gina Carano, Ewan McGregor and Michael Fassbender

trailer here :-

click to watch

this looks realy good and has gina looking hot as ever