Primaries

silvec88

Now I know this idea will never go through, I still feel like posting it just to hear some thoughts. Now I appreciate comments, but please don't flame and just tell me hos stupid it is.

So, what if primaries were made up from a calculation of secondaries and physicals? It just seems kinda crazy to me that you can be an elite BJJ fighter with mediocre submissions and defensive grappling and flexibility or strength.

So I'm not good with submissions but let's say you have a 135 defensive grappling, 146 submissions, 110 speed, 120 strength, 120 flexibility. So now I would weight these by importance. So a x5 maybe for subs and d grappling,a x3 for flexibility an x2 for strength and a x1 for speed (granted I don't know what physicals would be more important, that's just my guess.)

D Grappling = 135 x 5= 675

Subs = 146 x 5= 730

Flexibility = 120 x 3= 360

Strength = 120 x 2 = 240

Speed = 110 x 1= 110

Overall = 2115 now divide this number by 16 to get the actual 1-150 value.

2115/16 = 132.1875 or 132.

Now these calculations with say all 60's would show the true value of their BJJ of 60.

Now I know it will be impossible ti implement this as people have used sparring to get their primaries up and it would be unfair to them to take away those things they've worked for, I just think this would have been a great way to get primary values. Let me know what you guys think.

• Downvote 1

It would make fights too predictable. Primaries are a good smoke screen sometimes. Guys who have low primaries can actually have some scary secondaries, and still pull off wins against superior fighters "on paper." Guys with scary primaries can sometimes have weak secondaries. It presents an element of surprise.

can't really look at it that way though, since how well you do a move is a combination of a lot of things. a bjj black belt with mediocre subs can't really be thought of as actually having mediocre subs, because when you combine it with his bjj/wrestling/physicals his EFFECTIVE skill with submissions would be higher than that. perhaps think of it like "for a black belt he has pretty mediocre submission skills".

it's not that i don't like your idea, because i think it has merit (with some tweaking of the calcs), but this isn't really a change that you could make at this stage of the game without some pretty big backlash from a lot of members.

*edit* in regards to marc's post, if something like this was implemented along with changing the way that boxing/mt/wrestling primaries are listed (so it's grouped more like bjj belts), then that would negate losing that element of the unknown.

• Upvote 2

I too would like to see it a little more balanced. Wand is a black belt but has had only 1 career submission and has stated for most of his career he just learned how to defend really well. This is quite rare in real life and would not be surprised if Wand got his belt just from training BJJ so long and being in MMA without that much of a need for submissions.

• 2 weeks later...

This is very complicated and in no way would ever have a chance due to primaries already being set in stone as people have spent 100's of training sessions improving them. However I don't see how any of his math is wrong? I for one prefer primaries being shown in a way the BJJ is shown as compared to this method, but this is a very interesting idea.

• Upvote 1