Evolving Avatars

Imagine when you go to the fighter page, you actually see your fighter, not just their face but the body as well.

Your fighter could then visibly age, and could grow in size depending on weight and stats such as length, reach etc..

The fighters physical stats could also play a role whereby a fighter with elite strength would look like his muscles are popping.

This would take a lot of programming and more graphical artwork I suppose, but I think it will definitely make the game unique in the sense that you can actually see your fighters growth.

I think the ultimate would be to go to your fighters page and actually see him in the ring sparring if that is what his next training session will be, or lifting weights, or even show him practicing the particular secondary skill that he is set to train.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While I like the idea, it faces the same problems as a while ago when it was suggested that cuts and bruisning should be added to avatars after fights. Implimenting it would take so much time and effort to do it would outweigh the result and so I can't see it ever happening.

• Upvote 1

Yeah it's a pity though, there's so many things that you could do to the game to make it amazing, but it takes so much effort to do it. Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about coding, but I can imagine that it must hectic, especially if there aren't hundreds of people working on it.

I was thinking of how cool it would be to have graphic depictions of the fights themselves also, but until I open a program development company that doesn't seem likely to happen. I would love to see it but as has been pointed out it simply is too massive an undertaking for Mike to do. I'm with you though. It would be pretty sexy.

yeah there are a lot of ideas that would be great to implement, but the time that would be needed to be invested in them is so substantial (especially considering the entire game is coded by just 2 people) that unfortunately it wouldn't make sense to do them at this time. maybe in the future, if/when the site starts making a lot more money. in the meantime, you can always change your fighter's avatar whenever you want, and there are a lot that are very similar so if you want to give your fighter a haircut or something you can just change to the same face with different hair/background.

I feel, like if people were serious enough about wanting this to be implemented they could work on it as a project in their spare time. I personally don't have much PS skills, but I know there are plenty of artists who do great work here

To do what is being asked for here, unfortunately goes way beyond photoshop skills. This will require massive amounts of coding and animation skills. Even if it was just showing some bruising and cuts etc... and faces that are periodically aged it will still take a massive amount of work to rework all of the hundreds of different faces for various ages and injuries etc...

As totally bad ass as it would be it simply isn't really feasable unless Mike decides to hire someone to do this full time... an unlikely prospect at best. And that isn't even addressing the other aspects that have been mentioned like showing the fighters training session for the day (weight lifting or wrestling sparring).

Animation is a whole other animal. And not a cuddly little kitten either. We are talking about a 1400lb. pissed off grizzly bear. There is also the fact that all the bodies (skins) would have to be made from scratch since they currently don't exist. And someone mentioned them getting leaner or bulkier as they developed and so on. That makes the grizzly bear become more like a prehistoric Cave bear that stands 12 feet tall and grosses well over 2000lbs. One further hiccup would be that in order to do what has been presented in here that the animations and even the still shots would require being tied into the game engine in some ways. Accessing, training schedules, fighter profiles, and the fight results. Not just the part we see either. It would require access to some of the code of the game to accurately depict injuries and so on.

As great as this game is and it does continue to improve, there is also the added wrinkle that for the injuries to be truely cool instead of being the exact same for everyone that you would have to either have several sets of random assortments of injuries or tie it directly to the fight result and that means that the injuries need to be more detailed then they are. As a text based game I am perfectly fine with it simply saying, "Fighter 1 is cut." But for the injuries thing to work really well it would require that cuts be in specific locations. I have started noticing in fight results swelling, mouses and hematomas starting to be included. I don't know if this is something new or not but it is cool. But all of these things and more would be required to be located more precisely then they are currently.

In closing I just say again, that the idea is 100% made of pure awesome, but it is simpley to massaive an undertaking for Mike to do alone.

However, Mike if you are reading this. I am unemployed right now and if you want to give me a job doing this we can work something out... :P

Please note, I have almost no coding experience whatsoever.

img1 - fighter horribly damaged

img2 - fighter mildly damaged

img3 - fighter almost recovered

img4 - fighter recovered

If (injury>9) show img1;

if (injury<9 && injury>4) show img2;

if (injury<4 && injury>0) show img3;

if (injury==0) show img4;

The only real problem with this is taking the vast amount of fighter avatars that we have (35 pages, and like 30 or so avatars a page = roughly 1050 images) and adding 3 extra images (injuries) to each of them (3150 images total to add). Not really feasible unless you get 20 people to do it. That would only make it 157-158 images per person to add injuries to. That wouldn't take that long then. But I'm sure there's something extra to be coded in that I would have no clue about. I really need to get back to learning php... >_>;