Who's next for Anderson Silva?

nick diaz :)

Has much as I like this guy he does not stand a chance to beat silva. The only guy even though I didn't like him could have beat silva was roids sonnet but he lost twice so anything else is going to be a beat down. I say give wediam the shot since he think he can submit silva so silva can dispose of him so we don't have to hear him bitch about how he should get the next shot.

i believe Weidman's done a fantastic job of putting himself in position for next, both inside and out of the octagon. although the knee-jerk reaction is to brush him off as too inexperienced to take on such a legend, he has demonstrated the exact skill-set needed to dethrone the champ; good chin, phenomenal takedowns and brutal ground and pound. although we haven't seen him against a BJJ ace, working with Serra & Longo, you have to believe Chris has been schooled in avoiding submissions.

all that said, he's likely to get smoked in round 1 but of all the candidates outside of Alan Belcher (already booked), he's demonstrated the best game out there at MW. would love to see Rich Franklin work his way back into the mix and by the time he's up for a shot, maybe Silva's at LHW or retired.

i believe Weidman's done a fantastic job of putting himself in position for next, both inside and out of the octagon. although the knee-jerk reaction is to brush him off as too inexperienced to take on such a legend, he has demonstrated the exact skill-set needed to dethrone the champ; good chin, phenomenal takedowns and brutal ground and pound. although we haven't seen him against a BJJ ace, working with Serra & Longo, you have to believe Chris has been schooled in avoiding submissions.

all that said, he's likely to get smoked in round 1 but of all the candidates outside of Alan Belcher (already booked), he's demonstrated the best game out there at MW. would love to see Rich Franklin work his way back into the mix and by the time he's up for a shot, maybe Silva's at LHW or retired.

Rich Franklin ? :D

I think he needs to fight Bisping if he wins Stan of if he doest want to wait for that then set him up with Weidman but thats 100% first round TKO.

Has much as I like this guy he does not stand a chance to beat silva. The only guy even though I didn't like him could have beat silva was roids sonnet but he lost twice so anything else is going to be a beat down. I say give wediam the shot since he think he can submit silva so silva can dispose of him so we don't have to hear him bitch about how he should get the next shot.

I really can't stand Diaz, so if he wants to get his ass kicked by Silva, let him.

To be completely honest, I don't think anyone is next in line. There are a few that are close, but no clear cut #1 contender.

Belcher - Faces Belfort at UFC 153. On a 4 fight win streak (should be a 7 fight win streak, if not for Akiyama fight). If he beats Belfort, I believe he could be next to fight for the title.

Bisping - Faces Stann at UFC 152. The only guys Bisping has lost to are former title contenders. Many people thought he beat Sonnen, myself included. Unfortunately he needs to win a few in a row again.

Stann - Faces Bisping at UFC 152. Basically in the same boat as Bisping, but he has won a fight since his loss to Sonnen. 1 or 2 big wins after Bisping could get him a title shot.

Boetsch - Well after beating Okami and then Lombard, he might be closer then people think. One more big name win and he could pose a threat to Silva. Might be the strongest guy Silva has faced.

Weidman - He beat Maia and Munoz, but I still feel he needs at least 1 more fight before he gets Silva. I believe UFC is hoping they hit is big with Weidman like they did Velasquez (a lot of similarities between the two).

I really can't stand Diaz, so if he wants to get his ass kicked by Silva, let him.

To be completely honest, I don't think anyone is next in line. There are a few that are close, but no clear cut #1 contender.

Belcher - Faces Belfort at UFC 153. On a 4 fight win streak (should be a 7 fight win streak, if not for Akiyama fight). If he beats Belfort, I believe he could be next to fight for the title.

Bisping - Faces Stann at UFC 152. The only guys Bisping has lost to are former title contenders. Many people thought he beat Sonnen, myself included. Unfortunately he needs to win a few in a row again.

Stann - Faces Bisping at UFC 152. Basically in the same boat as Bisping, but he has won a fight since his loss to Sonnen. 1 or 2 big wins after Bisping could get him a title shot.

Boetsch - Well after beating Okami and then Lombard, he might be closer then people think. One more big name win and he could pose a threat to Silva. Might be the strongest guy Silva has faced.

Weidman - He beat Maia and Munoz, but I still feel he needs at least 1 more fight before he gets Silva. I believe UFC is hoping they hit is big with Weidman like they did Velasquez (a lot of similarities between the two).

although i've been a big fan of his, Boetsch has has had one good round in his past 2 fights and unless he gets back his 'seek & destroy' mentality, the Spider would pick him apart fast. Stann would stand a puncher's chance but needs more fluidity to his form in order to evade Silva's precision strikes. Bisping's only chance would be to tap and run with hopes the Champ breaks his ankle chasing him around in rd. 4, allowing pillowhands to swoop in for the easy takedown and GnP finish.

in terms of overall game, Belcher's the most deserving of the lot but for some reason got caught up picking fights with fellow contenders and taken himself out of the picture. of all his attributes, the one that's impressed the most is is heart- really tough nut to crack and that's one of those heaven given things they can't teach you at the gym.

Rich Franklin ? :D

other than getting swarmed by the over-sized Griffen, he's looked good in all his fights since losing the title to Silva.

other than getting swarmed by the over-sized Griffen, he's looked good in all his fights since losing the title to Silva.

yes looked great against Vitor

Weidman should have taken the Belfort fight, but he thinks he's in line for a title shot and doesn't want to risk it..feels like he's ahead of Vitor in the rankings. Unfortunately he needs a big name like Vitor to give him some starpower in order to sell the PPV.

I think it will be Bisping/Stann winner. The UFC has spent a lot of time making Bisping into a star, and if he beats Stann, I think it would be a blockbuster PPV. Weidman vs Silva would have to sell pretty much entirely on Silva's name.

Should Stann beat Bisping, then I think the winner of Belfort vs Belcher will be looked at a little more closely and it will be a tossup between the two.

• Upvote 1

I love Brian Stann so don't get me wrong here but Bisping is my absolute favorite fighter. His skills are far to good to lose to Stann who has not been doing MMA as long as Bisping and the experience will be a huge part in this match.

Bisping will no doubt get the shot after UFC 152. Unless injury occurs that is.

Silva wants to fight real soon they say, within the next two months or so.

The only person that is likely to sell tickets with Anderson Silva, is a rematch with Belfort or a fight with Bisping. Boetch, Weidman, Belcher, and anyone else who believes they are number one contender still need to be promoted.

For us as MMA fans that study the sport we could see all of these match ups happening and we would think of how great they would be. UFC thinks this way to, but they also look at, "Hype" and Belcher, Weidman and Boetch do not yet have it. Belfort has the greatest chance at beating the Spider. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't make a number one contender match between Belfort and Bisping.

Weidman vs Belcher should happen too. But if Silva was to fight in the next month or so like i heard i couldn't imagine a single person in line to fight him that would be a good match. Truthfully he is just that good.

~BrotherHec

Weidman should have taken the Belfort fight, but he thinks he's in line for a title shot and doesn't want to risk it..

I think Weidman shouldn't get it. Just for that reason. He's a great fighter and all that. I knew he would smash Munoz, but the guy has little personality. I hope it's Bisping. I don't think he'll win, but I much rather see him either win or lose.

On paper Boetsch deserves it most, but the Belfort/Belcher winner is a pretty good candidate too.

Weidmann needs to beat someone who is actually at the top of the division, maybe match him with Boetsch or Bisping if the UFC is really committed to the Belcher/Belfort fight being an eliminator.

Diaz asking for the fight is a joke, he just wants the pay day from fighting Anderson.

I think someone of you are being short sighted a little. A contender cant ave already whiped the floor with everyone in the division before he gets a title shot. I believe Weidman has a good chance to beat Silva. If that happens for any of the contenders they have to have someone left to fight. Weidman has the better skills and he has also looked better in his fights. Tim was getting smashed by Okami. then he beat Hector who everyone already had doubts about and he fought like a turd confirming those doubts. To be honest i think they all need one more fight. Which is why i would do the 3rd Chael fight. If that is off the table you have to go with Weidman. IF Bisping had not been inactive and got himself a win after his loss to Chael i would say he would be next but the timing and him being on a lossmake him have to be Silva's second fight if he doesnt screw it up. I think Tim and Belcher are just a waste of time and i think they are furthest froma title shot. They would be the worst person Silva has ever defended his belt against imo.

I think Tim and Belcher are just a waste of time and i think they are furthest froma title shot. They would be the worst person Silva has ever defended his belt against imo.

Did you not watch the Belcher vs Palhares fight????? Belcher showed great BJJ defense and add that with his very good striking...........how can that be one of the worst Silva has defended his title against??? Apparently you don't remember the Demian Maia fight.

You don't need a big name win to get a title shot look at lesnar he lost his first fight against mir then won against heath herring by decision in and was offered a title shot a true wtf moment in mma history not going to deminish that he won the title fight just using it as a point that you don't need a big win, but in my book the guy next in line and the one i most want to see get a shot is belcher the guy has much approved since his start which wasn't bad to begin with and is an all around fighter he has nice striking and a dangerous ground game with some brutal leg kicks which is something i wish i'd see someone try on silva it's not like he is going to try and take you down as he prefers striking and a good way to try and take away that freakish agility of his.

He beat Maia on incredibly short notice (and even was the one pursuing takedowns IIRC), and looked great in the ADCC a few years back. He's something of a BJJ phenom.

Did you not watch the Belcher vs Palhares fight????? Belcher showed great BJJ defense and add that with his very good striking...........how can that be one of the worst Silva has defended his title against??? Apparently you don't remember the Demian Maia fight.

Palhares is a quiter. He has no cardio and no striking and will look for the door before ever taking a punch. Belcher stopped some subs. Not that impressive in MMA and Palhares quit. Maia is a much more well rouneded fighter than Palhares. He will strike and he has some cardio and will touhg the fight out. Palhares also quit vs Nate. Head to head Maia would be a much tougher fight for Belcher imo. Thales was much worse than Maia and Thales is better than Belcher. Belcher is slow as hell and only looks good in curtain fights. When it isnt his match up he gets smoked. He laso has loss' to piss poor fighters with no great wins.

Palhares is a quiter. He has no cardio and no striking and will look for the door before ever taking a punch. Belcher stopped some subs. Not that impressive in MMA and Palhares quit. Maia is a much more well rouneded fighter than Palhares. He will strike and he has some cardio and will touhg the fight out. Palhares also quit vs Nate. Head to head Maia would be a much tougher fight for Belcher imo. Thales was much worse than Maia and Thales is better than Belcher. Belcher is slow as hell and only looks good in curtain fights. When it isnt his match up he gets smoked. He laso has loss' to piss poor fighters with no great wins.

Speaking of Thales Leites, how has he not made it back to UFC yet???? 6-1 since he has been gone.

Anyway, from a business/selling tickets standpoint Belcher and Bisping have the charisma to sell tickets and market the fight. Stann would easily have the american support behind him for this fight, so there is marketing there. As someone pointed out earlier, Weidman has as much charisma as a doormat and is probably the least marketable opponent right now.

He seems to be very marketable. HE has looks and well spoken. He just needs to be put in the right position to get eyes on him. He isnt outgoing type than demands the attention so unless he is champ it will take a while to get his name out there. Belcher is just a B level fighter being vocal and taking your self into a title shot only goes so far. He would never win but if he did he isnt a draw. Taking yourself up for 1 fight doesnt make people want to see you. Belcher has been in the UFC a long time and hasnt changed and hasnt really done anything. He is a gate keeper. I think it would be a big mistake to give him a title shot before he has really earned it. Weidman is undefeated and if he was able to add a win over Silva he would explode in popularity. If Belcher beat Silva people would look at his shit performances vs Kendal Grove and others and chulk it up to a fluke.

As for Thales i think the way he fought vs Silva was his death nail. A follow up split decision loss to Sakara really didnt help him either.

The simple answer is if Bisping beats Stann he gets the shot since a lot of people including Dana White felt he should have had the last one, if he doesn't Boetsch does. Belcher is one big win away too. Anderson would beat all 4 of those guys within 1 round on the same night though. 185 has become the 170 division. Chael was the only guy who had any sort of chance to beat Silva, having lost twice to him he wont get another shot, nobody else at 185 has any more than a lottery punchers chance with Anderson because nobody else has that unique combo of instant pressure, world class wrestling and stamina that has been the only real chink in Anderson's armour. Belfort is screaming and shouting for a rematch, the guy needs to show up for a fight first!