Overall Rating vs. Specific Skill Rating

DrewWilliam

I'm trying to understand the correleation between a fighter overall rating, and their specific skill rating. less say a fighter has a wonderfull BJJ rating, but has no skill points in any spefiic BJJ skills. Or the other way around.. a fighter has wonderfu submissions and defence but has useless overall rating. What is the correlation.

I'm thinking about training my fighters in sparring sessions to boost their overall rating, but if that dosn't help the specific skill than I don't understand the benefit.

You can think of the overall rating like their "knowledge" of that particular aspect of the game. Let's say they have 100 BJJ but 0 submissions. They might know all about each type of submission in terms of X hand goes in Y position to do a Kimura but they then don't know how to actually torque it properly to get a sub.

Or if they have 100 submissions and 0 BJJ, that would be like them knowing exactly how to do a Kimura but not knowing when to put it into practice.

In terms of how good the fighter is at something, they need both to be effective. And for training, it also looks at both things. If you train submission offense, it will also increase the BJJ value by a small amount. Over a period of time, because lower levels increase more quickly, they should level out somewhat.

• 4 years later...

Thank you very much for clarifying this topic because I also wondered just how a fighter becomes balanced through training and sparring if the fighters they spar against are shown to have an overall lower star level but seem to boost actual skill levels of other sparring fighters more quickly than others. I'll have to experiment to see if actual stats can catch up to knowledge quicker, or vice versa.