Fighter Draft

I was thinking of a way to sink cash and a fighter draft came into mind. There is a one week sign up period for managers to enter the draft for a fee of X dollars. For every manager that signed up two random fighters age 18-25 are randomly created. Only the top primary skill of a fighter will be shown along with height and weight. For a one week period you can spend X amount of dollars scouting any fighter you wish. The more money you spend scouting a fighter, the more skills are revealed. After the scouting period is finished, the manager with the LOWEST hype gets the first pick and so forth, until each manager in the draft has selected one fighter.

By creating a draft, lower level managers have the chance to get a fighter with a great skill set and no prior fighting record. High level managers will still benefit as they have plenty of cash to spare and will be better able to scout and pick up any great fighters that have slipped through the cracks.

With this influx of new talent that could be compared to what is now the free agent market, managers could be given the option to retire fighters directly instead of making them free agents. Create a fighter will still be relevant as the draft process requires a bit of money and takes about half a month to complete.

***Free agents will still apply for deleted accounts and people who wish to have their fighter carried on to another manager. Retiring a fighter might require paying some VIP days.

If you have an comments or ideas, Id love to hear them! :D

• Upvote 2

I think it's potentially a great idea to add a draft - it just needs fleshing out.

there was a similar idea tossed around previously of "Fighter Academies" or something of that nature, where a manager could open it as a business and actually "sell" the services of a fighter they had created to the highest bidder. I thought the idea had a lot of promise.

The only thing I don't like is that the lowest hyped manager picks first. It penalizes higher hyped managers for working up their ranking. And lower hype doesn't mean less money. You can be ranked number 1 in hype and have $10 and you can be ranked 6000 hype and have 6 million. So they really don't even out in that sense.

I personally think a random roll for picks is a better idea than lowest hyped manager. I'd be pissed if I dumped tons of cash into scouting and then a rich low ranked manager stole the fighter out from underneath me just because he has less hype.

Yeah, it would be a shame for all the best fighters to go to the worst managers. That isn't how MMA works. If anything, it should go the other way. The best ranked managers should get the first pick. Top prospects would very rarely choose to sign on with a manager with a losing record or one with no experience.

Another option would be to create a hidden that determines a fighter's preference. Some guys might prefer an experienced manager with a proven track record, while others would want to be a "big fish in a small pond" and appreciate being a newer manager's top client.

I was thinking about major league sports when I wrote this. The draft is used to provide an influx of new talent and make the teams as even as possible (hence the worst team gets the first pick). I like the idea of the lottery. Therefore if you happen to be lucky enough to get the #1 pick, you can pour lots of money into the draft and come away with a future elite fighter. If a poor manager enters, he still gets the benefit of getting a fighter better than he would create from scratch.

The lottery is fine, but I don't think you should get someone better than you would have created from scratch. If this guy is truly a prospect, he will be raw and unproven, just like a newly created fighter.

I think an 18 year old lottery fighter should have the same number of starting points as an 18 year old user created fighter. The edge that you could get from a lottery fighter would be knowing a little bit about his hiddens. The scouting report could tell you vague information, like "This guy has an iron chin and is lightning quick. However, his IQ test results were below average."

• Upvote 1

The lottery is fine, but I don't think you should get someone better than you would have created from scratch. If this guy is truly a prospect, he will be raw and unproven, just like a newly created fighter.

I think an 18 year old lottery fighter should have the same number of starting points as an 18 year old user created fighter. The edge that you could get from a lottery fighter would be knowing a little bit about his hiddens. The scouting report could tell you vague information, like "This guy has an iron chin and is lightning quick. However, his IQ test results were below average."

Then what is the point on spending lets say $50,000 on the draft if you're not getting a fighter better than what you'd make from scratch?

First of all, spending $50k is way too much. Only experience managers would be able to afford that. It wouldn't help the noobs you are talking about helping. It needs to be priced somewhere between $1000 and $5000.

Secondly, I already said that the advantages would be knowing more about your fighter's hiddens. Right now, if you create a fighter, you have to train him for several weeks, then enter him into a QFC fight just to learn one hidden. If you find out that he has terrible hiddens, you have to cut him, having wasted weeks or even months training him. In the draft lottery, you would know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are not getting a can who you will need to cut.

If you want there to be variation in the starting skills, I suggested a long time ago and again today in another thread that we have youth academies as a type of business. A youth academy could develop prospects from age 16-18, then hold a lottery. Better academies would produce better prospects on average, but it would still be a roll of the dice.

• Upvote 1

I'm with Nexus on this idea,

I find the "Youth Academy" part most interesting.

That could well be a major cool thing, even if it was only for newer managers that have been in the game for less than a year.

Here they could be getting a good fighter, with good youth training stats.

This could show the new managers what's possible training wise, if done the right way with the right means.

If they got the "pop" history with the fighter, along with what elements the fighter has trained, to get where he's at at that point in time.

If you want there to be variation in the starting skills, I suggested a long time ago and again today in another thread that we have youth academies as a type of business. A youth academy could develop prospects from age 16-18, then hold a lottery. Better academies would produce better prospects on average, but it would still be a roll of the dice.

Did you? I thought I did that :)

http://www.mmatycoon...owtopic=27198

You add some ideas on page 2 though.

Its been a long time. I didn't mean to steal your credit. I guess I got so excited about the idea that I adopted it as my own.

My bad. LeoP suggested it and I agreed hehe.

Its been a long time. I didn't mean to steal your credit. I guess I got so excited about the idea that I adopted it as my own.

My bad. LeoP suggested it and I agreed hehe.

NP Nexus. Couldn't resist pointing it out though :)