clinch fighting

Want to make a fighter to start off fighting in a no training club, and make him a clinch fighter.

Was thinking of going wrestling/muay Like around 10/9

Does that sound good?

After that, was looking at doing high clinch work, and high take down defense, with some strike defense, a good amount of clinch work, and then some elbows and knees.

It's hard for me to tell if I should really go high on a couple of abilities, or go more balanced if I'm fighting right away.

For physicals, I want enough conditioning so I don't get gassed, but I really don't know after that. Was thinking of neglecting flexiblity, and going balanced on strength/speed/balance.

Advice, suggestions?

If it's a no training organisation then you won't be allowed to train at all once you sign the contract.

Clinch fighters are very good, you'll need high punches, strike d, clinch work and then wrestling with takedown d. Knees and elbows at this point in my opinion are not worthwhile skills to spend training on.

If it's a no training organisation then you won't be allowed to train at\ all once you sign the contract.

Clinch fighters are very good, you'll need high punches, strike d, clinch work and then wrestling with takedown d. Knees and elbows at this point in my opinion are not worthwhile skills to spend training on.

Hmm .. well, i was thinking a muay thai/wrestler, so I was thinking for knees/elbows to use on him during the clinch. Does it not work that way? Or will a muay thai guy punch also?

the thing about elbows and knees is that you may screw yourself over limiting yourself to just clinch moves. if u have punches to use in the standup it gives you more opportunity to be successful in another area rather than just trying to do one thing and failing to get into the clinch. if you put punches u can strike in the standup and then have the opportunity to clinch up as well. punches work with MT fighters but i think they dominate more in the clinch than anything and the standup punching of MT fighters isnt as strong as a boxer. to dominate the clinch u will need good amounts of strength and agility. you can put in punches and this will help you be more versatile but knees are more versatile in the clinch than elbows because u can go head or body on those. just some things to think about.

the thing about elbows and knees is that you may screw yourself over limiting yourself to just clinch moves. if u have punches to use in the standup it gives you more opportunity to be successful in another area rather than just trying to do one thing and failing to get into the clinch. if you put punches u can strike in the standup and then have the opportunity to clinch up as well. punches work with MT fighters but i think they dominate more in the clinch than anything and the standup punching of MT fighters isnt as strong as a boxer. to dominate the clinch u will need good amounts of strength and agility. you can put in punches and this will help you be more versatile but knees are more versatile in the clinch than elbows because u can go head or body on those. just some things to think about.

A boxing build will leave you vulnerable to clinch or ground where as a MT build allows you to defend both of them

It's hard build to make upon creation, your suggestion of where you would put your points isn't too far off but the problem is that there are so many diferent areas that you need points that you may end up with something like respectable knees, respectable elbows. They can be a threat but you might still find that you get outworked by someone who has worked soley on a boxing build and has wonderful punches.

As someone else mentioned you also only have one way to win (The clinch) if you cannot get the clinch or get taken down you have little ways to win.

My advice would be to change it slightly in one of two ways.

Use a boxing game as your clinch weapon so that you can throw punches outside of the clinch and inside the clinch, or

Go for your original muay thai build but instead of having knees and elbows I would just use knees and then give him kicks as well, that way you can kick him outside of the clinch and knee him inside.

One other point, it's a long time since I've used a low level fighter in the clinch so it could well be different now, but in the past I always found it very difficult to land knees without having good flexibility so bare that in mind when choosing your physicals.

• Upvote 1

Be careful of who you are taking advice from. The amount of false info and advice being given out these days is crazy.

Punches won't work for MT clinch fighters. So to answer your question, yes knees and elbows for MT fighters in the clinch. Punches are connected to your boxing primary so a MT guy won't be effective with punches in the clinch without decent boxing.

Before you criticize other people for giving false advice, make sure yours is accurate. Punches are connected to both your MT and Boxing primaries. MT helps punches, just not as much as boxing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1