Sim City

imfromhoiland

http://www.polygon.c...iliates-to-stop

EA suspends SimCity marketing campaigns, asks affiliates to 'stop actively promoting' game

Publisher Electronic Arts has suspended some of its online marketing campaigns for SimCity in the wake of ongoing server issues, asking its affiliates to "please stop actively promoting the game" until further notice.

In an email sent this morning to marketing affiliate partners, EA Origin says it has "deactivated all SimCity text links and creative and we ask you to please remove any copy promoting SimCity from your website for the time-being." The email, obtained by Polygon, is directed at affiliates of EA Origin's LinkShare program.

"To be clear we are continuing to payout commissions on all SimCitysales that are referred, however we are requesting that you please stop actively promoting the game," the email reads. "We will notify you as soon as the SimCity marketing campaigns have been resumed and our promotional links are once again live in the Linkshare interface. We apologize for any inconveniences that this may cause, and we thank you for your cooperation."

SimCity launched earlier this week and has since struggled to meet player demand. Developer Maxis has deactivated certain gameplay features and says it will continue to roll out fixes to address "server instability" and player frustration.

Polygon has contacted Electronic Arts seeking comment and will update with any information the company provides.

what a mess

Something Special for Your Trouble

The good news is that SimCity is a solid hit in all major markets. The consensus among critics and players is that this is fundamentally a great game. But this SimCity is made to be played online, and if you can’t get a stable connection, you’re NOT having a good experience. So we’re not going to rest until we’ve fixed the remaining server issues.

And to get us back in your good graces, we’re going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. On March 18, SimCityplayers who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game.

I know that’s a little contrived – kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy. But we feel bad about what happened. We’re hoping you won’t stay mad and that we’ll be friends again when SimCity is running at 100 percent.

SimCity is a GREAT game and the people who made it are incredibly proud. Hang in there – we’ll be providing more updates throughout the weekend.

I have a feeling that it's not going to be Dead Space 3 or Crysis.

This game definitely focuses on teamwork. I realized that after I used all the land for the first time. There just simply is not enough space to do everything you want, so it's best to focus on one industry, and have other people living in your region focus on others. For example, I could focus on education and have big schools that other cities can send students into. Another could focus on extraction of resources and be a real industry town that provides for others. Another guy could be a resort town that takes in a lot of freight and focuses on commercial/being the hot spot. It's pretty cool, but I wish I had some friends that own the game to coordinate with!

This game definitely focuses on teamwork. I realized that after I used all the land for the first time. There just simply is not enough space to do everything you want, so it's best to focus on one industry, and have other people living in your region focus on others.

That's totally true. This is why I hope that EA doesn't listen to all those people complaining about small maps. The only thing that adds a real challenge to the game are the small maps. They are also the only real incentive for people to work together. Once they change that the difficulty drops and the challenge is gone.

The small maps are terrible imho.

If you want to make money you can do, so the small maps don't limit anything in terms of profits. I made a half arsed industrial city and got it up to 13m fake dollars after a few hours. In general I'm finding it to be a very poorly balanced game. At the moment I'm making a tourism only city for a bit of a laugh, with 10m I donated from my badly laid out industrial town.

It's true. You make money too easily. You don't solve that by making bigger maps. To me that's the only issue. If they made trading less profitable it would be fine by me. I got to 7 million profit per day with a population of 402.000 with plenty of space left. Bigger maps are not the solution. I don't think that I would've gotten bored with it less quickly if the maps were bigger. Spacing your city right is the only challenge.

The free apology game:

"The eligible titles are Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition), Bejeweled 3, Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition), Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition), Medal of Honor Warfighter (Standard Edition), Need For Speed Most Wanted (Standard Edition), Plants vs. Zombies and SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition. You'll have until March 30 to claim your free game."

• 5 weeks later...