We have to do something about these worthless sponsorships

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone notice that on the 3rd image it said he was told it was $20 PER FIGHT for a year, not just a flat $20....so to dispel that a sponsorship is only the amount listed.....it is NOT per fight or per month, or any of that nonsense...you give some a 20 for 365 offer, you are basically giving them 5 cents a day so yes that would be BS, and it would even be more BS if you claimed its per fight since you then would be misleading them, unless you plan on paying them everytime they fight which requires a lot of trust on the part of the other person.

Did anyone notice that on the 3rd image it said he was told it was $20 PER FIGHT for a year, not just a flat $20....so to dispel that a sponsorship is only the amount listed.....it is NOT per fight or per month, or any of that nonsense...you give some a 20 for 365 offer, you are basically giving them 5 cents a day so yes that would be BS, and it would even be more BS if you claimed its per fight since you then would be misleading them, unless you plan on paying them everytime they fight which requires a lot of trust on the part of the other person.

I never spoke to him when i gave the offer...i didnt know he thought that. But did refund him after i found out with a $200 for 1 day to his other fighter. If he had read the wiki before accepting anything the problem would not occur.

I never spoke to him when i gave the offer...i didnt know he thought that. But did refund him after i found out with a $200 for 1 day to his other fighter. If he had read the wiki before accepting anything the problem would not occur.

I tried to explain this in chat when I suggested you release him.

$50/30 days does not = $220/366 days

I tried to explain this in chat when I suggested you release him.

$50/30 days does not = $220/366 days

I cant release him....there is not a way too. if there is ive not heard of it

I still don't think putting minimums is the answer. If there are only 1 or 2 out of 150-ish clothing/nutrition companies doing this, Mike should be able to take direct measures against them. (releasing guys that are stuck, resetting hype)

This should take a lot less time than programming in safeties and keep the rest of us non-scumbags free to work deals with other managers.

I still don't think putting minimums is the answer. If there are only 1 or 2 out of 150-ish clothing/nutrition companies doing this, Mike should be able to take direct measures against them. (releasing guys that are stuck, resetting hype)

This should take a lot less time than programming in safeties and keep the rest of us non-scumbags free to work deals with other managers.

I agree that regulations impede our free market business doings.... but I think having Tycoon solve it is too much.

Either A) people deal with their decisions or B) Tycoon promotes someone to deal with just this stuff. Because I hate the thought of this guy staying up late to go through page by page of sponsorships when the overall game is at stake.

But making a "rule" to stop this is simply knee-jerk and takes the responsibility off the people.

I agree that regulations impede our free market business doings.... but I think having Tycoon solve it is too much.

Either A) people deal with their decisions or B) Tycoon promotes someone to deal with just this stuff. Because I hate the thought of this guy staying up late to go through page by page of sponsorships when the overall game is at stake.

But making a "rule" to stop this is simply knee-jerk and takes the responsibility off the people.

+1 for this guy! :yes:

Maybe a "Report Bad Business" option should be available. Like on a lot of forums that sends an alert, so someone doesn't need to go through every deal. I think being brought up in the forums is enough to highlight any problems though

To fix this whole thing, I don't feel coding is needed at all.

All one would have to do is:

Under Sponsorship (where you click) just have it read somewhere near the top what some of you have said here and in other areas.

That being: The Average Deal should be around $50 for 30 days. (For new fighters)

If anyone fails to read that directly under the Sponsorship link in the navigation menu, then it truly is their fault. This would allow buisnesses to deal with eachother on the 1 day contracts to give money over, and reveal that doing 90 day contracts for under 50 is a very bad idea for new people. (This should also be very quick and easy to put in >.>)

There is no consensus. All that is important is that the MINIMUM should be $50 for 30 days - again as Mike Tycoon said. Beyond that, its negotiable.

I know there is no consensus. That's why I said let's come up with one. Also, my quick and dirty fix would allow negotiations to continue and alleviate the need for Mike to write any code that limits sponsorship $$$ values. It's a win win situation for us the players and for Mike.

-edit

Avric understands what I'm talking about. His post right above this one lays out what I'm talking about.

Even though these deals are BS.

I haven't really gotten the idea of sponsorships at all. Companies don't seem to be overly interested anyway. I have 5-0 and 5-1 fighters in big orgs that don't even get offers, and when they do, they are usually shit anyway.

That said I usually accept since it dosen't matter anyway.

But all in all, 20$ for a year? PAHHLLEEEESSSEE!!!

Don't misunderstand me. I have no problem with 80 for 40. My fighters are unproven, so I don't expect a spectacular deal. I meant it literally when I said it made me feel better about that deal. When I took those offers I had no idea what I was doing. After seeing some of the crap people are pulling I'm just glad I got a fair offer from a reputable company.

After seeing some of the crap people are pulling I'm just glad I got a fair offer from a reputable company.

Well that's what I'm hoping people think :).

My response was mainly aimed at a lot of people who have mailed me requesting sponsorship, then backed out after I've offered it saying it was too little. I guess that's more a manager's over-estimation of his fighter than anything though.

I've never really gone out of my way to sponsor people to gain hype for the company, more under the hope that sponsoring people would get the name out and get advertising for the store. Obviously it's not a real-life situation where the shirts/shorts are seen on TV or to the live crowd, but it's probably the best you can do within the game.

I'll just chime in to agree that I don't think Mike needs to work anything into the code to fix this. He can't micromanage every last nuance of the game.

That being said, I like the idea of some line of text showing up before a n00b accepts a ridiculous sponsorship deal warning them that year-long deals that pay diddlysquat might not be in their best interest. Maybe even a link to the wiki that talks about sponsorships. I dunno.

Why try to help n00bs that have little common sense? For one thing, it's the decent thing to do. For another, this is an intimidating game to try to understand as a n00b -- there is a ton of shit to try to absorb right away, and I can see how an excited new player, anxious to get involved, would accept anything that came his way without scrutinizing it very closely.

If i had to guess it now has gone so far to be doing those types of offers to extra accounts he has made himself to help promote his own company....thats what it sounds like.

I couldn't disagree more with this. This is a problem - anyone who has played this game for more than a week knows its wrong, and you even said yourself that any "retard who can read" knows this is wrong. So, why turn your back to it?

As it currently stands, with the way the algorithms are written, this allows these "companies" to earn unwarranted hype. I have heard the argument that hype is "broken" and should be discounted until its fixed. Maybe company hype is broken, but until it changes, it is the barometer for top company. I have heard others say "anyone who thinks the company with most hype is the best company is an idiot". Maybe so - its an opinion; however, isn't that one of the goals of this game? Isn't one of the goals of this game to be the most hyped fighter, most hyped manager, most hyped company? And surely, even if the company hype is fixed, at some level, the number of fighters you sponsor will figure in to this, no?

Now, I agree that these new players need to read, and be smart, and familiarize themselves with the wiki, and the forum, and chat, but I also know that when I first signed up, I wanted to immediately get in an org, and get sponsors, and join a gym, and get a fight - I would have jumped at anything (and probably did). If this happened to me, and my fighter was "screwed" I'd probably quickly get annoyed with this game, and I don't think the intentions of this game and community is to turn away new players. Just because they don't know better, does that mean we should take advantage of them? That's a hideous outlook.

The worst part is that Joa laughed at this, and then said how he just preys on QFC fighters - knowing they are usually brand new fighters. What's next? Start-up orgs signing fighters to 200/0/0 lifetime contracts? Are gyms going to set their prices to $49 on Friday, and then set it to $500 on Thursday afternoon...every week?

The worst part about this all is that eventually its going to force Mikey to take action (as he has stated in Attliction threads), and keep him from improving the game for the benefit of us all.

As someone who accepted a bad offer ($20 for 76 days) I don't think it should be coded. I think it encourages company owners to be more proactive in signing fighters. None of my fighters got an offer. I assumed its because they were new and unknown quantities. If I would have had better offers in my inbox I could have made a more informed decision. A more involved manager would have hit the forums and gotten a better contract. They spent more time than I did and were rewarded (likely) with a better offer. This is good.

In terms of encouraging new players, I think there will always be a certain amount of work involved to "successful" at the game and don't think getting a bad offer is a huge barrier to entry. I think the alternative of getting no offers is a much larger barrier. Inactivity kills the new player.

I don't know if this really needs to be coded or not, but I would think that if something needs to be changed in coding, maybe make it where the maximum length you can sponsor a fighter is 90 days (or however long). That way no one is screwed for a year, be it because the company owner is being a jerk, doesn't know what they're doing, or because they typed in the wrong number.

You could still offer $0, but in that case people should read right here in the wiki where it suggests you should be receiving money from a sponsor and it says it is a flat fee:

Wiki- Sponsors

If people don't read that, it's on them. The Main Menu of the New Users Guide links to that page, so it's not hard to find.

Should something be done? Sure. Should Mike have to code it into the game. No.

Right now we're doing what need to be done. We as a community are discussing it. We as a community are deciding that we do not like shady businesses like these. So if we don't do business with these shady types, they'll dry up and blow away. Don't spend your money on their products. Don't accept their shitty contracts and shitty sponsorships. Post it here, post it in the news, shout it from the rooftops.

Will there still be pricks who attempt to prey on unsuspecting noobs? Probably. We can't stop it completely. But that's life. But just like in the real world, the best way to bring down a business is their wallets. Perhaps a post listing all the businesses using less than above board methods on the news page.