Official Ascension Thread

EzekelRAGE

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p742/kevinfurlotte/MMA%20Tycoon/mma-hype-ascension_zps945d6d22.jpgvs http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/company/logo/1376061484EVO%20LOGO.png

Ascension vs EVO: Press Conference

Tonight on MMA Hype, Brett and Jared are in London for a Press Conference of Ascension vs. Evolution’s event. This could easily be the biggest event we’ve seen so far, showcasing the best fighters in the world.

January 30th, EVO vs Ascension

January 31st, Ascension vs EVO

Here is Brett Clarke and Jared Asante, along with some of the staff from the two biggest fight organizations in the world.

-- -- --

Jared Asante: Good day ladies and gentlemen! To all MMA Hype fans, along with Ascension and Evolution’s fans, this is going to be the event you don’t want to miss. The 2 biggest fight organizations in the world decided to work together for an event, to put each 10 fighters from their roster to fight against the opposing org.

The 5 main fights will all be 5 rounds of 5 minutes each.

Brett Clarke: We have the pleasure to receive tonight, both owners of those top orgs that will battling each other, Scott Davies and Mega Jug. Ascension vs EVO quickly became a big subject of discussion all around the world, and it’s now the biggest betting warfare going on right now. Of course, we are curious about that the owners predict about the fights, so let’s get right to it.

I’ll start here with Mega Jug, owner of EVO. First of all, can you give us your thoughts on such a big event?

Mega Jug: I believe this will start a lot of new rivalries and also give managers a new form of competition to look forward too. Not only will org wars give fighters to fight outside of their contracted org but it will give them some well deserved media attention.

Brett: How about you Scott?

Scott Davies: I feel this is probably the biggest thing that tycoon has had I may be wrong. But come on let's be honest look at these fights that we have on show. I can't wait.

Brett: How well do you think this event will affect managers and fighters in the community?

Scott Davies: This event has been all over the forums recently, its been a good discussion point. Lots of guys involved, all fighters and managers involved have been great. Myself and Jug hope to give you more events like this more often.

Mega Jug: They are all pretty impressive fights but one in particular, Womba vs Murdock is one of those dream matchups. Without something like org wars, a SF like this is less likely, but when orgs can get together and host something like it, makes those fights more reality. I understood other orgs are willing to part take so that good news for the community. I hope more orgs hold events like this to promote big fights and help managers/fighters get their overdue media attention.

Brett: Now the big question. Let’s start this one with Mega Jug. What is your prediction on the fights? How many fights you think EVO will win?

Mega Jug: In my opinion we do a clean sweep at the events. All of EVO managers are talented and all the fighters can win on any given day. So I wouldn't be surprised if we go 10-0. But I'm certain Davies would disagree with me.

Scott Davies: I feel that EVO are the favourites on paper, but I do firmly believe that we can win. I feel a 6-4 or even 7-3 win for Ascension. Its going to be tough, very tough.

Brett: I guess this is a great event to put gambling money on!

Last question before we move on to the Press Conference. Who has the best chance to cause a big surprise at the event?

Scott Davies: I have 2 guys in mind. Harry Punani, very durable fighter. I think he'll sneak a decision win. Second is Jiu Liu. No one has given him a sniff and I hope he can get a win vs Otso.

Mega Jug: For me, there are two fights that will come to surprise most. Samba vs Creel and Ricardo Gracie vs Merik Hunt. IMO Hunt and Samba win those fights and should be an upset according to the EVO vs ASC forum odds.

Brett: Thanks a lot for your time guys. I myself have a shit load of cash on those fights, so I sure hope I made some right picks, or I’ll have to work double time for a while here.

Make yourselves comfortable guys, the Press Conference is about to start.

-- -- --

Jared: We are now ready for the Press Conference for Ascension vs EVO, but before we begin, I have Luan Dovik here with me. So before we begin to open questions for fighters, I’d like you to give a little thought about what Ascension and Evolution are accomplishing here.

Luan Dovik: This challenge might be a start of a "lineal" championship for an org as the best one out there. Imagine the great concept that ITFL has but something that only takes 2 events - 1 home and another away - and then matching up the best or majority of it between the 10 fights in both events and then finding out who wins. Another org comes and whenever its suitable for both, they book another challenge... I hope this thing keep going on in the future. It's amazing. It's great for everyone and it doesn't hurt those orgs that already aligned saying that top orgs were doing groups to overcome them... Non sense talk from a strange group. Everyone's available to challenge and stay tuned because both events (including the fights that are not part of the challenge) will be amazing. Early contenders for event of the year.

Jared: Will be amazing for sure. The way you explain it makes it sound really interesting, because it will open a window to any org looking to do that kind of challenge.

Thanks for your time, and let us begin our Press Conference, I see the media are ready and waiting.

We have 4 of the best fighters in the world with us tonight, Christopher Samba, Carl Creel, Smokudju Womba and Matt Murdock. So media people and journalists, they’re all yours.

-- -- --

Dmitri (Fight Network): Hi, Dmitri here for Fight Network. I have a question for Christopher Samba.

You’re facing Carl Creel, which will be the toughest challenge of your career, plus, as the main event of one of the biggest hyped event ever. Do you see this fight any differently, and do you see yourself superior than Creel?

Christopher Samba: In all honesty I wouldn't say it's the toughest challenge of my career, I don't really rate him as an opponent, none of the guys he's faced in Ascension are good enough to compete with us EVO guys, he's just the best of a bad bunch. So the only way I see this fight any differently to any normal fight is it'll make a refreshing change to have an easy opponent. Oh and yes, I'd say I'm superior to him in every single way.

Dmitry (Fight Network): The fact that your last few fights went to decisions, and that Creel is known as a quick finisher, do you see this as an advantage or a disadvantage for you?

Christopher Samba: I go to decisions regularly because I enjoy imposing my will and wearing someone down for five rounds to prove that I am the better man. Creel may be a quick finisher but that's the only tool he has in his locker, I can knock him out, I can submit him, or I can put a twenty-five minute beating on him, all he has is a puncher's chance.

-- -- --

Gregory (MMA Entertainment): Hello there, Gregory here for MMA Entertainment. I have a question for Carl Creel.

Hi Carl, you’ve been tearing apart your opponents, no matter who they are, but you’re now facing a guy who’s determined to prove he’s better than you. Are you prepared for a long war, or do you think you will end the fight in the first two rounds?

Carl Creel: Heh...Who am I fighting again?

Gregory (MMA Entertainment): Do you want to add anything about the fight, and do you think you still have a lot of years ahead of you as a MMA fighter?

Carl Creel: I got a face only me mother could love so I can't be a pencil neck reporter like you. When I'm done fightin you'll know. There will be nobody left standin. Now get outta my way geek.

-- -- --

Sandra (DoJo Fights): Hi all, Sandra here for DoJo Fights. I’d like to point my question to Smokudju Womba.

Smokudju, you’re currently classed as the greatest fighter of all time, and you’re facing Murdock, who you lost to earlier in your career. Do you see this fight more as a revenge over him, or simply as a fight between the two best Light Heavyweight in the world?

Smokudju Womba: A little of both. He's the only active fighter that I have a loss to that hasen't been avenged but I also asked for this fight because he's one of the best fighters P4P. Murdock can't be overlooked by anyone and we all know his manager brings some of, if not the best gameplans in the game come fight time. Congrats to Lance on the Manager of the Year award as well!

Sandra (DoJo Fights): Even if you’re currently #1, do you see yourself as the underdog in this fight?

Smokudju Womba: I don't see myself as the underdog but I don't see myself as the favorite either. Sure Murdock has a victory over me but that was a long time ago and I am an improved fighter today because of it. I really struggled with my takedowns in that fight so we'll see how it goes when I can actually get the fight into my zone. Murdock will be a great test.

-- -- --

Zach (Sports Illustrated): Zach from Sports Illustrated, hi everybody. Question for Matt Murdock.

Matt, you did face Womba earlier in your career, and you won that fight. You’re now facing a much improved Womba this time, someone who’s considered a GOAT. Does this play in your mind a little?

Matt Murdock: That plays into my mind a lot less than the actual reasoning behind the improvement Zach. Womba was always a great fighter and a very skilled opponent, but it doesn't take a blind man (pun intended) to see the effect this new counter takedown era has had...Anyways let's just say that I think I am going to have my hands full now. If I was a betting man I would better on the CTD. Sorry to my fans, it's just an honest opinion.

Zach (Sports Illustrated): Facing a well rounded fighter like Womba, did you have to change your regular training and gameplan a lot?

Matt Murdock: Well I had to recently change my training schedule anyways, but this was before the announcement that I would be facing Mr Womba. For some reason the very day I turned 33 I started feeling slower and weaker and less agile. I dont get it. I have had to mix in a lot more circuits of late just to try and keep myself feeling half of what I was. Weird...

-- -- --

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Ascension's Division Rankings

- Bantamweight:

Champion: Mr Azure (33-6, 1-0 Asc): Azure is a veteran of the sport and a longtime veteran/hall of famer of former London based Versus. He took some time off a couple of title wins there and decided to comeback directly to Ascension. He's been champ from 135 to 155 and that tells you the kind of skill that this man brings into the cage. After waiting a while for his title shot, he had an amazing debut against Rafa Silva. It was a great fight and Azure managed to rock the former champion in the last round. What's next for him? A title defense on March 26th against newcomer and one of the top prospects in the world: Gajewski.

Next fight: Andrzej Gajewski - March 26th 2014. (title fight)

1- Vanilla Ice Cold (25-6, 5-2 Asc): Ice Cold is as good as it gets. He's been very consistent inside Ascension's cage. He had a successful run early at Cornell Cage Fighting and then UPG, where he was the 145 lbs and 135 lbs champion respectively. After a tough 3 fight losing streak, he managed to win 4 in a row before being stopped by strikes in his Ascension debut against former featherweight champion Kuzuri. He got a win and then a title shot next. He was able to defend it once before losing it to Rafa. He almost had it at the end of the 2nd round but eventually lost a decision in a great battle. 2 fights later, he finds himself on the verge of another title shot. He just has to get through Leonard to reach it.

Next fight: Nuriel Leonard - April 9th 2014.

2- Andrzej Gajewski (27-2-1, 0-0 Asc): Gajewski is an amazing talent. He's been on a huge win streak and dominating both the 135 and 145 division of NGF. He had some great and managed to pass them all. One question was on the back of everyone's minds though: How would he perform against some of the top dogs around that weight? After months of negotiation, Ascension finally signed a deal with this huge up and coming star. He won't abandon his 2 belts at NGF and will defend it once in a while as he still develops his game. When he feels ready he'll be 100% with Ascension. Can he add another belt to his waist or will he fail to get it on his biggest fight yet? Regardless of that, he is a future star and will be around this position for a long time. It's just a matter of when he'll make it.

Next fight: Mr Azure © - March 26th 2014. (title fight)

3- Nuriel Leonard (29-12, 1-0 Asc): Leonard had a 6-fight winning streak when he made his Ascension debut against former #1 contender Austin Williams. He decided to add another one to that list with a solid performance via unanimous decision. Still he has 1 fight before he's able to challenge for the belt and he's facing former champ Ice Cold. Some might say that the talent he faced recently wasn't that great and he had a 5-fight losing streak before stacking those wins. He's definitely looking to prove himself against Vanilla and we're in for a treat to decide the next title contender.

Next fight: Vanilla Ice Cold - April 9th 2014.

4- Rafa Silva (31-4, 2-2 Asc): Silva was a dominant champion in his past... REF, Valhalla Tokyo and then UPG. He owned the bantamweight division of the Las Vegas org and was widely regarded as the best light fighter in the world. Cloltran was the first one to decipher his gameplan and they completed their trilogy right off the bat. In his final UPG fight he had a superfight against then Ascension bantamweight champion Melekh David, winning it via unanimous decision. Before they had a chance to rematch and now for the Ascension title, David was knocked out by Ice Cold and Rafa faced Gary Bunn in a superfight on the Christmas card. He lost the fight at 145 but still had his immediate title shot to unify both belts. He won a decision against Vanilla and then went to Evolution as part of the Ascension vs. Evolution challenge. Another superfight at 145 and another loss, now against Sly Randolph. Back from that fight, he lost the belt to Azure and then just recently captured a much needed win by split decision against Austin Williams. Rumors have it that he'll finally rematch David in his next fight.

Next fight: Melekh David. (rumors)

5- Melekh David (21-11, 7-1 Asc): If you take David's record outside of Ascension, you'll definitely notice that it's not of the best. He was 14-8 when he came into the organization as part of a 4-man tournament to crown the new bantamweight champion. That wasn't a huge tournament and just an unofficial bracket to determine the next ruler of the division. David found some success in Rio before coming over to Los Angeles. He had the chance to face the former title holder Otaktay and was TKO'd by him. Nobody expect him to do well here, but he got 2 submissions and then a belt around his waist. Even a short notice non-title fight wasn't able to stop him and then many thought that he would finally lose when he faced former Featherweight 16-man tournament winner and former FW champ legend Waru Kuzuri. Kuzuri had just lost his title to Red Fox via split decision and decided to drop down to 135. He finished Ice Cold in his new weight class and a win against David would give him not only a new title but the confirmation of a dream fight against Rafa Silva. David got the upset win and the super fight next. He's 3-0 inside the organization after losing his belt via KO to Ice Cold, with another loss against Chris Mullen in a superfight at TTFC. A rumored rematch against Rafa Silva could put him right next to another title shot.

Next fight: Rafa Silva. (rumors)

Honorable mention: Jerzy Arlecki (17-7-1, 3-0 Asc) - next fight: TBA.

And that's it, guys. I'll probably do 2/3 divisions tomorrow, but I wanted to start it right away before we have a few events with key fights. The last event had 2 big fights at 135 so it's the best division to start this new feature. Stay tuned and feel free to participate in this smack talk thread :)

- Featherweight:

Champion: Vevrin Betlach (44-19-1, 9-3-1 Asc): Betlach was the final Geezers Palace lightweight champion and made his debut against former champion and hall of famer Ed Gein. He won a decisive unanimous decision and got himself a title shot to unify the belts. Turns out he went to Versus for a superfight and suffered a TKO loss very early in the 1st round. He decided to drop to 145 and join the big tournament Ascension held. He once again was defeated, this time by decision against the future winner and champion Waru Kuzuri. He decided to stack some wins on his own and after defeating Cain, Kyle and Näkäräinen (all of them by TKO), he got his title shot against then champion Red Fox. It was a great battle but he lost via majority decision. A final fight at 145 and a return to 155 gave him a title shot at the higher division against... Red Fox! This time he won the fight via split decision and unified the belts plus got his revenge against Fox who was a 2 division champ at the time. He was upset by Jie Liu next and wasn't able to keep him belt but once again he changed weight classes and after a win at 145, the trilogy was happening. Betlach vs Fox 3 for the featherweight title. And what was supposed to be decided now, was only postponed due to a majority draw. For the 4th time they faced each other on the 3 Year Anniversary card and Betlach got the bragging rights not only with the 2 victories but those were fights that he dethroned Fox in 2 different divisions. His next fight is not decided yet but will probably come against the winner of Jung/Potkukelkka.

Next fight: TBA

1- Red Fox (46-16-2, 13-7-2 Asc): We already talked a lot about his rivalry with Betlach so let's focus a little bit more on the other part of his past. Before joining ONI, Fox had a 7 fight stint at Ascension and he went 4-3. Actually 2 of those 3 losses were against Otaktay for the 145 belt. He then came back after ONI closed and joined the featherweight tournament. After a good win in his debut, he lost the next fight to Meat Loaf and found himself behind the other contenders. And just like Betlach managed to build a win streak, Fox did it even better. A rematch against Näkäräinen from ONI gave him a title shot against Kuzuri and he won it via split decision. After defending it twice (Betlach and Lamotta, both via decision) he stepped up for a huge superfight against then lightweight champion Ed Gein for Gein's belt. Another decision victory granted Fox the right to be called a 2 division world champion. He ruled both weight classes and was ranked really high on p4p rankings. But as mentioned before, he lost the 155 belt to Betlach and focused only on the lower weight class. He was unbeatable there. Kiedis came over from UPG to unify the belts and was TKO'd, then a controversial majority draw against Moe Lester (last CFC 145 lbs champion) where many felt Fox lost, was erased via a solid performance in the rematch. He then TKO'd Jung and the final chapter against Betlach happened. He'll have the chance to build himself back as a title contender when he faces Vesnev next.

Next fight: Yury Vesnev - March 26th 2014.

2- Chan-Sung Jung (29-9, 4-2 Asc): Most of you don't know that but Jung used to weight 264 lbs when he started his career... Somehow he managed to become a bantamweight and have a completely ripped body. Since joining Ascension he decided to stay at featherweight and make a run for the belt. He suffered a setback against Lamotta on his debut but a 3-fight win streak against Kiedis, Bad Idea and Vesnev got him a title shot against Fox. He was TKO'd in the 5th round and had to build his way back up. Former #1 contender Moe Lester gave him a hard earned split decision win and Jung could be 1 win away from another shot, now against a new champion.

Next fight: James Potkukelkka - March 26th 2014.

3- James Potkukelkka (21-11, 3-0 Asc): Potkukelkka was supposed to make his debut against Yury Vesnev but it was canceled right before the event due to travel problems with James. He then finally entered the cage to face Kiedis and got an amazing knockout of the night via Slam. That gave him a lot of hype going into his next fights and he didn't disappoint. Cormac Maguire and Jason Griffin fell via decision and Potkukelkka is definitely 1 win away from fighting for that belt. Let's see what happens on the biggest fight of his career.

Next fight: Chan-Sung Jung - March 26th 2014.

4- Moe Lester (38-19-1, 1-2-1 Asc): Lester is the last featherweight champion of CFC and came into Ascension already challenging Fox for the belt. He had a great performance and many felt he won the fight, but it ended up being a majority draw. Immediate rematch came and this time Fox made it clear that he wanted it the most and defended his belt. Lester got back into the cage against Vesnev and with a decision win, hoped to get himself into another title shot position after winning a second fight. He fought hard, but lost via split decision to Jung and find himself in a small limbo as he waits for some fights to happen and see who he would face next. He's still a worthy contender and you can't count him out. Tatum/Griffin could be possible opponents.

5- Yury Vesnev (19-6, 2-2 Asc): Vesnev had a good run at UPG but when he came over it wasn't as good as he planned. Though he had a good debut against Näkäräinen, he lost two in a row against Jung and Lester, but managed to get back on track with a KO against Kiedis. He gets the chance to fight the former champion and get himself closer to a higher spot as a possible contender. Let's see if he can do it.

Next fight: Red Fox - March 26th 2014.

Honorable mention: Danny Tatum (29-16, 6-3 Asc) - next fight: Jason Griffin - March 21st 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

- Featherweight:

Champion: Vevrin Betlach (44-19-1, 9-3-1 Asc): After winning the lightweight title and getting his revenge against Fox who was a 2 division champ at the time, Betlach was upset by Jie Liu and wasn't able to keep his belt. He changed weight classes once again and after a win, the trilogy was annouced. Betlach vs Fox 3 for the featherweight title. After a frustrating majority draw, they faced each other for the 4th time on the 3 Year Anniversary card and Betlach got the bragging rights not only with 2 victories out of 4 fights, but dethroning Fox in 2 different divisions in both wins. His next fight is a title defense against James Potkukelkka in just a few days.
Next fight: James Potkukelkka - April 9th 2014. (title fight)

1- James Potkukelkka (22-11, 4-0 Asc): Potkukelkka has been on a tear recently. He had some travel problems before making his debut against Vesnev, but that ended up canceling the fight. He then finally entered the cage to face Kiedis and got an amazing knockout of the night via Slam. That big win led way to another 3 victories by decision against Cormac Maguire, Jason Griffin and then Chan-Sung Jung, in a fight that he was crowned the #1 contender of the division. that belt. Considering how his last fights were at UPG, it's a great revival to see this fighter with a big win streak and heading into the biggest fight of his career. Let's see what he can do.
Next fight: Vevrin Betlach © - April 9th 2014. (title fight)

2- Red Fox (43-17-2, 14-8-2 Asc): We don't need to talk about how dominant Red Fox has been on his recent run at Ascension, specially considering the featherweight division. However, he found his kryptonite on Betlach and wasn't able to be the last man standing. After losing his belt, he found himself in a tough spot as he faced most of the guys but was recently beaten by Betlach twice (arguably 3 times, considering their draw) and he got Vesnev as his next opponent. That was his first 3-rounds fight in a long time and while it wasn't a great performance, he got a unanimous decision win. Then he decided to take on a fighter that just recently become former lightweight champion: Gerard Esqueda. They agreed on a 5-rounds fight and Fox wasn't able to defeat his foe. Now he goes back to ONI to take part on their return card. He's a former champ and HoF of the Tokyo-based org. Let's see what this breath of fresh air will bring him.
Next fight: TBA - May 3rd 2014. (return fight at ONI)

3- Jameson Connemara (16-0, 0-0 Asc): Connemara is another one of those young guys that come and try to make a name for themselves. We just saw Gajewski, the top prospect at 135 and 145, come over and try to get the BW belt, but he felt short against one of the best fighters of the world. He might have a better chance of becoming champion at 145, but his training partner Betlach is the current champion. Connemara has no strings attached to those guys so he'll try to upset the current champion and become the youngest champion of the roster. He's undefeated and many people wondered what he could do, but his performance against former title challenger Jake Lamotta at Dominance's first PPV event was definitely something special. He had some issues with the takedown, but his striking was top notch and he knocked Lamotta out cold. He comes into Ascension with one purpose: win the belt. He's the next in line.
Next fight: Betlach/Potkukelkka winner - TBD. (title fight)

4- Chan-Sung Jung (29-10, 4-3 Asc): Most of you don't know that but Jung used to weight 264 lbs when he started his career... Somehow he managed to become a bantamweight and have a completely ripped body. Since joining Ascension he decided to stay at featherweight and make a run for the belt. He suffered a setback against Lamotta on his debut but a 3-fight win streak against Kiedis, Bad Idea and Vesnev got him a title shot against Fox. He was TKO'd in the 5th round and had to build his way back up. Unfortunately for him, Potkukelkka had nothing to do with that and defeated him. Jung needs build a good win streak before getting another shot at the belt and he wants to do it against rising contender Charlie Magri.
Next fight: Charlie Magri - April 16th 2014.

5- Moe Lester (38-19-2, 1-2-2 Asc): Lester is the last featherweight champion of CFC and came into Ascension already challenging Fox for the belt. He had a great performance and many felt he won the fight, but it ended up being a majority draw. Immediate rematch came and this time Fox made it clear that he wanted it the most and defended his belt. Lester got back into the cage against Vesnev and with a decision win, hoped to get himself into another title shot position after winning a second fight. He fought hard, but lost via split decision to Jung and find himself in a small limbo as he waited for another fights to happen before finding out who his opponent would be. He took on Jason Griffin and another draw happened, adding more drama to his odd organization record. What's on store for him once again needs to be decided carefully.

Honorable mention: Charlie Magri (27-14, 6-6 Asc) - next fight: Chan-Sung Jung - April 16th; Paul Luvi (12-2, 3-0 Asc) - next fight: David Kyle - TBD

- Lightweight:

Champion: Jean Sibelius (38-12, 8-5 Asc): Another ONI veteran, Sibelius came into Ascension as part of the merge when the Tokyo org closed. He lost a fight to Gein, the same person that he would end up upsetting and winning the title. After a superfight loss against Otso Jokinen, he lost the belt in the trilogy fight against Gein and got 2 more losses to find himself in a 4-fight losing streak. After that he got his composure back and worked his way back from the bottom to the top in an amazing comeback. Many people though that Sibelius was done, but that's not what he proved against Esqueda at Ascension: More Than a Feeling. He dominated the champ and finished him with strikes on the 4th round. He was expected to defend his belt against Jie Liu, but Liu went for a special fight at TTFC against their 145lbs champion and lost the fight. His next opponent remains to be seen, but what it's almost certain is that our two-time champion will fight again on April 27th.

Next fight: TBD - April 27th 2014.

1- Gerard Esqueda (24-10-2, 3-1-1 Asc): Esqueda came into Ascension as the last UPG Vegas champion and he was supposed to unify the belts against Jie Liu. Before coming over, he took place on EVO's FOTY tournament and he was the runner up at his division. As promised, he made his debut for the belt against Liu but they fought to a draw. On the rematch, Esqueda was the better fighter and captured the title via decision. After a solid defense against Donowitz, he was defeated by Sibelius. Red Fox moved up for a fight against Esqueda and "El Toro" was dominant as he was in previous fights. He won't fight for the belt now, but another win will probably get him a title shot. His opponent might be a newcomer.

Next fight: TBA.

2- Jie Liu (25-10-1, 5-1-1 Asc): Liu entered Ascension as a prospect, but he managed to make his way towards the top of the division. He struggled to get past Esqueda and lost his belt. After losing his belt, he fought NGF prospect Erkki Vieri and defeated him via armbar. Then he went to TTFC to fight their featherweight champion and was dominated on the ground. That loss definitely messed his plans of fighting for the belt, as he was supposed to. He might have to win another fight before getting his shot. A fight to determine the #1 contender against Esqueda makes sense, but they won't waste a third fight on that. Let's see what the future holds for the former champ.

3- Donny Donowitz (33-7, 1-2 Asc): Donowitz has an interesting Ascension record. He made his debut as part of a supercard against a Adam Gracie from SPFT/Heroic and lost it. He then faced an original roster member in Gein and was victorious. That victory granted him a title shot against Esqueda, but he didn't capture the belt. He decided to take some time to train and improve his game so he could reach his main goal. Wasim Kayani is another rising fighter that wants to make a name out for himself against a known fighter. It's an interesting fight to see where the former Heroic champion is.

Next fight: Wasim Kayani - April 9th 2014.

4- Bobby Bruce (23-7, 1-0 Asc): Bruce is a recent addition to the roster that made his debut at Ascension: Black Flag against Byron Nelson. He was able to add another win to his winning streak and set a good spot for himself in our rankings. He needs to get another win before facing a bigger name and a good option for him is another up and comer that wants to make his debut: Matsumoto. Both guys are not young dogs, but they want to have a big closure to their careers.

Next fight: Kiyoshi Matsumoto - TBD

5- Kiyoshi Matsumoto (33-16, 0-0 Asc): Matsumoto is 39 years old and definitely facing the end of his career just around the corner. Well, no better place to do it then Ascension and try to make history before retiring. He's a CWFL and Brutal Deluxe veteran. The best fight for his debut will be against another old dog: Bobby Bruce. Let's see who makes the next step towards the top.
Next fight: Bobby Bruce - TBD

Honorable mention: Wasim Kayani (15-4, 1-0 Asc) - next fight: Donny Donowitz - April 9th.

- Welterweight:

Champion: Travis Bickle (26-9-2, 8-5 Asc): Bickle was part of the feeding org that Ascension had in it's earlier days and then joined the main roster. He challenged for the title twice, but wasn't successful. He went to UPG and had a great undefeated run before coming back as part of the Ascension/UPG Vegas merge. He unified the belts against Gracie, but lost the fight via majority decision. After defeating former MW champ Wade Wilson, he got his rematch against Gracie and gave him no chance, capturing the title. His first title defense was a great fight against Vinny Russo and he once again triumphed. The current Tokyo Rage Fight Club WW champ came into Ascension to face our champ in a non-title bout.

Next fight: Vadim Vadokowich - April 20th 2014. (non-title fight)

1- Ricardo Gracie (23-6-1, 7-4 Asc): Gracie had a rough start at Ascension, but he sharpened his game and got a huge win streak with a championship belt around his waist when he defeated then champ Vinny Russo. He's 1-1 against current champion Bickle and he's coming off a win against rising prospect Boy Bubby. Gracie might get a title shot after Bickle's next fight, but there's talks about Gracie facing another fighter before being announced as the #1 contender.

Next fight: TBA.

2- Vinny Russo (41-19-2, 10-4 Asc): Russo was as dominant as you can be when he first entered the Ascension cage. He had a failed attempt at the Geezers Palace championship, but then he became a whole different animal at Los Angeles. He had a rough losing streak when he lost his title, but he bounced back and got back into the #1 contender spot. He faced most of the top guys, but there's someone he hasn't fought yet and that's his next opponent: Tunjic. Another win could put him on another title run.

Next fight: Ivan Tunjic - April 16th 2014.

3- Boy Bubby (23-9-2, 3-1-1 Asc): Bubby represents the rising talent from the young pool of fighters this world provides. His manager Stu's has proved to be a specialist when it comes to that. Bubby came from UPG and fought at 185, before deciding to drop to 170 after a draw against Zeynalabdinov. He got a solid debut against Rollins, but it was his final seconds amazing comeback against Tunjic that got him a major fight against Ricardo Gracie. If he won, he would've probably fought for the belt but he was simply overwhelmed by the former champ. He faces Jawo in a few days but his future lies on the first season of Ascension's new tournament: New Breed. Bubby still has a lot to improve, but he's already proven to belong amongst the top of the division.

Next fight: Jose Protacio Jawo - April 9th 2014.

4- Gary Player (17-6, 1-3 Asc): Do not let Player's record fool you: he's a great fighter. Before joining Ascension he was a dominant champion at UPG and when he came into Ascension, Player was ranked #2 at the division world rankings, above him was the best one out there: Matt Murdock. But with a loss in the unification bout, Player lost another couple of fights and faced a big dilemma. His manager convinced him to drop down to 170lbs and it seems to be a good decision. He finally won a fight here against former UPG champ Kawashima and now expects to make a win streak worthy of getting him another chance at an Ascension belt.

Next fight: Robert De Noteboom - April 9th, 2014.

5- Ivan Tunjic (20-11, 2-1 Asc): Tunjic faced some management problems and his promised title shot was put on hold. When he announced that he wasn't going anywhere, he got a fight booked against young prospect Boy Bubby. After dominating 95% of the fight in what was the confirmation of his title shot, Tunjic suffered a sweep and Bubby stopped him with only 2 seconds left. He wants to prove that loss was a fluke and guarantee that title shot that once was promised to him.

Next fight: Vinny Russo - April 16th, 2014.

Honorable mention: Robert De Noteboom (25-13, 3-2 Asc)- next fight: Gary Player - April 9th, 2014.