Most overrated fighter?

Viking

I wouldnt say Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir is overated. I mean get on the ground with frank and hell break you and Brock... I meaan that i guy is fast as heel woth that huge frame, but a guy that is hugely overated is Quinton Rampage Jackson... those last fights he was hardly agrresive and so called "rampage" at all.

I wouldnt say Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir is overated. I mean get on the ground with frank and hell break you and Brock... I meaan that i guy is fast as heel woth that huge frame, but a guy that is hugely overated is Quinton Rampage Jackson... those last fights he was hardly agrresive and so called "rampage" at all.

Rampage was rated with good reason, but he probably should've just retired after the Jardine fight -- dude didn't seem to fight like he actually cared after doing the A Team.

Im also surprised anyone hasnt said Gustafsson yet... hes good,but is he the guy thats going to take jon jones out?

Probably not, but he has the best shot of anyone that I can see.

Im also surprised anyone hasnt said Gustafsson yet... hes good,but is he the guy thats going to take jon jones out?

I'm not sure anyone can qualify for such a list when they have the champion next. Partly down to the fact that the UFC hype machine is in full force behind them right now (which always skews opinion) and partly down to the idea that this guy is still almost raw potential.

I don't think Gustafsson is overrated, he has been in UFC for a while now and been climbing the ladder in silence and I don't think he has gotten the hype that he deserves. Looking forward for the fight, Gustafsson is an interesting mix in the LHW division with good footwork and sharp striking and I think he will put Jones in all kinds of trouble.

I don't think Gustafsson is overrated, he has been in UFC for a while now and been climbing the ladder in silence and I don't think he has gotten the hype that he deserves. Looking forward for the fight, Gustafsson is an interesting mix in the LHW division with good footwork and sharp striking and I think he will put Jones in all kinds of trouble.

What you say is true and i agree with you, but do you honestly think he has enough weapons in his arsenal to take out jon jones i havent seen him fight of his back against someone with the wrestling abilities like jon jones's and jons elbows are devastating...

Rampage was rated with good reason, but he probably should've just retired after the Jardine fight -- dude didn't seem to fight like he actually cared after doing the A Team.

Probably not, but he has the best shot of anyone that I can see.

I think Machida still has. the 1st round he gave jones a run for his money but after the cut he just crumdbled. I think he should just stay away from jones's pointy elbows lol

Can't believe no one has said Fedor yet.

***For the record - I'm a Fedor fan***

Haha! I was waiting for a Fedor comment too.

I didn't wanna mention him for fear of being flamed!

What you say is true and i agree with you, but do you honestly think he has enough weapons in his arsenal to take out jon jones i havent seen him fight of his back against someone with the wrestling abilities like jon jones's and jons elbows are devastating...

Luckily for Gustafsson the fight starts where he excels ;)

Yup, will be interesting to see what happens when Jones puts Gustafsson on his back. Been a long time since we saw Gustafsson grapple.

I think Machida still has. the 1st round he gave jones a run for his money but after the cut he just crumdbled. I think he should just stay away from jones's pointy elbows lol

Machida was never actually ahead in that fight though.. so eh..

Besides, if we went by first round performances Travis Lutter gave Anderson Silva a run for his money.

Luckily for Gustafsson the fight starts where he excels ;)

Yup, will be interesting to see what happens when Jones puts Gustafsson on his back. Been a long time since we saw Gustafsson grapple.

He wrestled Shogun for what it's worth.

Machida was never actually ahead in that fight though.. so eh..

Besides, if we went by first round performances Travis Lutter gave Anderson Silva a run for his money.

He was ahead for a couple of seconds in round 1 after landing the only significant punch of that round...

I'm a fan of Eddie Alvarez, but the exposure, the buzz he got from media by this whole situation and the negotiating position he seems to be in (PPV money, right into UFC title picture) is really weird. And it's lightweight, the best division in modern MMA. Eddie is tough, but he lacks the chin to survive against the top dogs (yeah, insert random Bendo style joke)... i mean he kinda gets rocked in every fight lol - the way he fights trough that and the fighting spirit he has shown there makes me a fan for sure though.

He wrestled Shogun for what it's worth.

He was ahead for a couple of seconds in round 1 after landing the only significant punch of that round...

true he wrestled with shogun... but lost to Phil Davis and submitted. and we dont know where shogun morale levels were because he didnt do so well his last couple of fights. he won ,loss, won, loss and so it goes on

Eddie's chin is fine and his recovery is fantastic, it's just his striking defense that is awful.

Time will tell, Manne... i see him getting introduced on very high level (cause he is expensive for the UFC and has the hype for that), going 1-2 or 0-2 and ending up as one of the lw gatekeepers for the top 5 guys. Again, in the best division in modern MMA, no shame in that.

In 2017 or some lol when the court has made a decision on the whole contract drama.

true he wrestled with shogun... but lost to Phil Davis and submitted. and we dont know where shogun morale levels were because he didnt do so well his last couple of fights. he won ,loss, won, loss and so it goes on

The fight with Davis only went to the ground because Gustafsson shot in on Davis for some inexplicable reason.

Yeah, the potential of Kerr was nuts.. real shame how his career turned out imo. He and Tom Erikson were the first big wrestlers I can think of who grasped other aspects of the sport, Erikson literally couldn't get fights during the prime of his career.

As for overrated, I'd say currently Jose Aldo -- ever since his injury he has seemed less athletic, less powerful in his strikes, and more prone to gassing.

Because aldo is draining himself trying to make 145 he is growing as he is not 23 no more he needs to move up.

Because aldo is draining himself trying to make 145 he is growing as he is not 23 no more he needs to move up.

You think in the 7 months (much of which he spent injured) between the Gamburyan and Hominick fights at 24 years of age he grew so much he started draining away a huge chunk of his explosiveness cutting weight?

Lets just say I don't buy that explanation.

You think in the 7 months (much of which he spent injured) between the Gamburyan and Hominick fights at 24 years of age he grew so much he started draining away a huge chunk of his explosiveness cutting weight?

Lets just say I don't buy that explanation.

Hey, people have been saying the same thing about Cro Cop for years now...

MMA, especially as young sport, but every sport in general, means standing on shoulders of giants. The Fedors, the Jacksons, the Filipovics, the Penns, the Silvas, hell even the Ortizs... they dominated to their time and their success stories build the foundation and the great knowledge (coaches/gyms/training methods) nowadays young and hungry fighters profit of. Also, money means higher talent comes toi the sport obv.

We surely can talk about one of them being overrated to their time, but compare them now to the next generation and draw the conclusion from that is kinda unfair imo. Especially in such physical sport which does much damage tot he body.

With that in mind, i also do not share the sadness of some people who see their former heroes struggle in their late career... just gotta be realistic - they still have the fire, they still can make good money, i don't think it takes anything away from their archievements and status. The only thing i fear at this point is seeing the first MMA fighters in "real" retirement age, many scaring examples there from boxing (refering to state of health and longterm consequences of their sport).

• Upvote 1