Takedown solution

My guy Aragon lost his title last night to counter takedown, despite being equal exceptional wrestlers Aragon proficient in takedowns and wonderful defence, each missed leg kick equals takedown. So no leg kicks or kicks at all ? Punch body in future.

Maybe a restriction on the slider to limit how much takedowns a fighter can go for to make it more realistic. I.e a maximum they can be set to versus stand up.

Quite a few issues with that whole post...

1. Wonderful takedown defence - really isn't that good of a defence just because he is an exceptional wrestler doesn't mean he doesn't have sensational or elite takedowns

2. You just got plain unlucky, a counter takedown and dominated for most of round 1 means you lose the energy advantage. Round 2 starts you miss another kick and get countered again (this time not as unlucky as you have given up the energy advantage).

3. For every example people have of counter takedowns being over powered there are examples saying the exact opposite - basically the "it's always worse cause it happen to me" line of thinking.

That fight you have shown is 1 out of probably a couple of hundred for that day and 1 out of god knows how many for the week. Do you think it's feasible that you just got plain unlucky?

Do you think it's feasible that someone else trying to counter takedown like that got their arse handed to them?

Do you think if that fight got ran again using the exact same tactics that you would see the exact same result with a missed leg kick meaning an instant counter takedown?

You're a good guy Steel but comments like "so no legs kicks or kicks at all" reek of throwing the toys out of the pram.

• Upvote 1

I don't think I was throwing toys, my thoughts are that maybe boxing these guys is best, and leave the kicks for other opponents, and it was a question, because I was baffled. His punches were landing, his kicks went to takedown, so hence my question.

I also realise that it was unlucky that each kick more or less went to takedown, and early on.

I feel I would stand more chance boxing, punch to the body and this would delay the inevitable, however the opponent would be weaker in the later rounds and maybe less able to get the takedown.

So it that the way forward? Or, I put it down to a little unlucky and don't lean so much towards leg kicks, maybe 80/20 in favour of punches?

Punches to the body land at a lower % than legs kicks generally so going that route most likely would have had it end the same way.. Your advantage was MT so I would have played it out the same way.. The first kick lands instead of missing and who knows how it ends.. Any missed strike gives a chance to counter TD..

Best Idea I think is hand level, raising it/dropping it, Scale it so against people you expect to spam takedowns you drop your hands a lot further down, and against boxers you raise them, have to fight a nice in between against well rounded fighters.

Best Idea I think is hand level, raising it/dropping it, Scale it so against people you expect to spam takedowns you drop your hands a lot further down, and against boxers you raise them, have to fight a nice in between against well rounded fighters.

Someone suggested this before and i think its a good idea

There only needs to be a solution if there is actually a problem.. You'll find if you read more fights than the one time it happened to you pales into insignificance to the amount of times takedown spamming doesn't work.. I like the example provided where the guy tried 9 takedown attempts to land one - yet in that whole time the one defending the takedowns threw only 3 strikes.. Way to make him pay to for spamming takedowns..

My suggestion would be in that example you fucked your sliders quite badly - quit looking at the engine for excuses for your losses and try changing your sliders up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am the dude who proposed the AWESOME change the two dudes above proposed, and I stand by it. If you try 30 takedowns in 3 minutes it would be, a) hugely tiring, more and more so each time, B) easy to predict and dodge, more and more so each time. I think that stands for ALL mechanics though, mixing it up should be rewarded.

@Stu -> I have fighters set to 100% counter strike, for example, and they will resist 20 takedowns and throw like 3 strikes. I could dig that they threw 20 and missed all of them, but they just don't throw them. I don't know which hidden affects that, and obviously it is an issue with my hypothetical fighter, but surely landing the counter strike would get easier with each failed takedown attempt and the takedown attempt itself would get more difficult with each failure?

@K-Rad - counter strikes are either successful or not.. The 3 strikes you see are the successful ones the rest are not successful.. There is no text for an unsuccessful counter, so your fighter isn't not trying..

You are aware that countering uses more energy, the higher the counter the more energy you use... So while the takedown spammer is losing energy for his failed attempts you too are losing energy for simply being so heavy on counter.. The more energy you burn through the lower the chances you have of being successful with your counter and the higher chance if he takedown succeeding..

So now join some dots - 100% counter while having a chance of working (albeit a small one) you'd want to be throwing some pretty big heat 80%+ damage and hope you land the knockout blow (pillow fist fighters probably not a wise move)

Or

You want to get in there first and start knocking some energy off the takedown spammer by being aggressive as your energy advantage increases the chance of him hitting one decreases.. Yes sure there are examples where that doesn't work - no plan is foolproof, but I'd much rather lose a fight here and there because I cop a couple of unlucky rolls. Because the alternative is increasing the odds of losing by having poor tactics against a fighter that is pretty easy to plan for

@Stu - That's a lot of stuff I didn't know, tbh.

I figured failed counter strikes were still strikes and would be shown in the total and successful would be shown in THAT total.

I also figured it would be the person on the offensive using more energy than the person countering.

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

http://www.socwall.com/images/wallpapers/19713-1366x768.jpg

I will add that Mike explained somewhere on the forums how counter works in regards to the actions. There is some debate as to whether every missed action results in an attempt to counter, it will certainly depend on the aggression levels of both fighters etc..

You see examples of this in fights where both fighters are being quite aggressive - counter strike are minimal if not don't happen at all.

There is an example of a fight where I have used 100% counter and 100% damage.. I wasn't using counter to avoid takedowns, I was using it to protect Knights chin and it almost paid off.. Notice the end of fight stats how ever single blow in the stand up landed even though I was at 100% damage..

http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=616477

Here's an example of where using those exact same tactics backfired very badly..

http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=614971

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, strikers and takedown spammers are far too prevalent in the early stages of fighting careers. Attempting ridiculous amounts of takedowns in such short periods of time is quite silly. In real life, if one fighter was simply just repeatedly spamming takedowns without setting them up with anything else, it wouldn't take a genius for the other fighter to either step out of the way, keep sprawling, or crack the guy with a kick or a knee.

I agree, strikers and takedown spammers are far too prevalent in the early stages of fighting careers. Attempting ridiculous amounts of takedowns in such short periods of time is quite silly. In real life, if one fighter was simply just repeatedly spamming takedowns without setting them up with anything else, it wouldn't take a genius for the other fighter to either step out of the way, keep sprawling, or crack the guy with a kick or a knee.

Dos Santos vs Cain 2.

I think as your miss the same move more and more, the chance of being countered doing that move should increase. Good solution?

I think to reset to original counter chance at the end of the round should be added. There's no reason a fighter should suffer a penalty in the third round for a missed attempt in the first round where both fighters do not have the same reflexes by then.

I think to reset to original counter chance at the end of the round should be added. There's no reason a fighter should suffer a penalty in the third round for a missed attempt in the first round where both fighters do not have the same reflexes by then.

If you are trying to do nothing but take me down for the last 10 minutes, why would you be any better at it in the 11-15th minutes and why would I be less likely to see it coming?

If we both don't have the same reflexes, then nothing changes, right?

If you are trying to do nothing but take me down for the last 10 minutes, why would you be any better at it in the 11-15th minutes and why would I be less likely to see it coming?

If we both don't have the same reflexes, then nothing changes, righ

Well, you are going to get spammed for the last X minutes of the current round before a counter lands, but by the third round all the actions missed in the previous rounds have a larger chance of getting countered, punches, kicks, clinch attempts etc... why should you have a better chance to counter all actions because they were missed before. By then you are going to counter the punches thrown to be able to land takedowns.

This need to hurt spamming actions only, that's why I proposed the reset as a way to ensure this, but any other idea that helps to hurt spamming actions only is good for me.

I am not sure I get it.

Every action, failed or not, will affect energy levels. If both fighters are tired, both fighters are tired, that will affect success/failure rates. It doesn't affect the predictability of a spammed move.

I wouldn't assume that by the 3rd round actions have a greater chance of being countered, it would depend on the energy levels of the people involved. If you've worked over someone's body for 2 rounds and evaded their shots, you'll be fairly fresh comparatively and be able to land more as time goes on.

• Upvote 1