GROUND STRIKES and COUNTING OF STRIKES

sergio

Hello to all who love martial arts.
Come talk about two simple things in the game, which is not similar to the reality.
Talk about Ground and Pound and the count of strikes.
I'm an MMA fighter, besides teaching Muay Thai.
On ground fighting, do not need a lot of technique to achieve ground strikes (GnP).
However, to strike with efficiency, we need technique.
I see many fights in the game here, where a fighter uses GnP for 5 rounds and can not hit many strikes.
In real fighting, this is very different. You can strike.
In almost every position you can strike. Is controlling the opponent and applies light strikes to the body / face. These strikes usually do not hurt much, they are more for scoring, tire the opponent gradually and open the way for a Ground and Pound most violent or an improved position.
Examples:
My fighter Sergio Ortiz in their first contest of title:
I fighting for 3 rounds on the ground. I remember at the time used as a tactic:
Aggressive 90% - Ground Strikes 95% - Finish 85% - Strike/Sub 90%
At the end of the fight, I tried 100 ground strikes. Managed to hit 52.
About counting strikes, she's worth a lot to the Ground and Pound.
In reality there are many fights (almost all) in the count ranges from strikes with efficiency and total strikes.
Two examples:
1st example:
Sean Sherk vs. Hermes Franca
Sherk: efficient Strikes: 35 of 55 - Total strikes: 215 of 249
Jon Fitch vs. BJ Penn
Fitch: Strikes efficient 47 of 72 - Total strikes: 231 of 287
Rarely will you see a fighter get a 10-8 applying light strikes, but in the count he is taken into consideration depending on the amount of strikes and also helps the fighter to keep moving so that the fight is not put standing.
It would be interesting for every type of fighter.
Strikes that want to show aggression on the ground.
Grapplers who want to score and apply few hits.
And it will be more realistic, much like reality!
  • Upvote 1

I think you mean there should be Damage vs Accuracy on the ground? Are you asking for a new ground slider? Or would you just like the engine to be changed so fighters try more "light hits" on the ground?

Congrats on your title win... it's crazy he attempted 100 ground strikes, never seen so many in a single fight.

• Upvote 1

I agree that there sometimes seem to be really high percentage of missing strikes compared to real fights. I've been thinking about Damage vs Accuracy slider for ground (and for clinch too). I would guess it is basically impossible to miss ground strike if all you care is hitting another, but then again that kind of shot shouldn't count as an effective strike (although I'm not sure how effectiveness is measured in judging here). I ground you could strike more for the purposes of showing activity and scoring points, and even clinch you could just hammerfist thighs or something, but I've never seen knee or elbow landed with "emphasis on accuracy".

Anyway, I think that sergio is trying to say that GnP skill should not effect that much on the landing percentage but on the damage caused by GnP, i.e. fighter with bad GnP skill still hits his opponents almost as often as good ground and pounder put he does not do that much damage with those strikes. And this sound realistic to me, although I have zero GnP experience :P

I agree that a damage vs accuracy slider would be good for ground and pound. Low accuracy would be good for maintaining positon and keeping the fight grounded, limiting the chance of standups and reversals, where as high damage would mean greater chance of finishing on the ground while at the same time missing a lot and allowing the chance of reversals, sweeps etc.

• Upvote 6

I see his point but i think he is asking for fighters to be more active on the ground more than asking for a damage slider (he mentioned landing softer strikes to wear a fighter down while trying to get better position. if a guy has you closed guard and your head pinned to his chest, the damage/accuracy slider doesnt matter at all in that situation, but in real life fighters give those simple "love taps" that annoy an opponent is what pushes REAL LIFE fights GNP strikes up with more accuracy. While i do like the idea of a damage/accuracy slider for GNP i think he is looking to raise the amount of strikes thrown all together

I agree that there sometimes seem to be really high percentage of missing strikes compared to real fights. I've been thinking about Damage vs Accuracy slider for ground (and for clinch too). I would guess it is basically impossible to miss ground strike if all you care is hitting another, but then again that kind of shot shouldn't count as an effective strike (although I'm not sure how effectiveness is measured in judging here). I ground you could strike more for the purposes of showing activity and scoring points, and even clinch you could just hammerfist thighs or something, but I've never seen knee or elbow landed with "emphasis on accuracy".

Anyway, I think that sergio is trying to say that GnP skill should not effect that much on the landing percentage but on the damage caused by GnP, i.e. fighter with bad GnP skill still hits his opponents almost as often as good ground and pounder put he does not do that much damage with those strikes. And this sound realistic to me, although I have zero GnP experience :P

I thought a lot about it.
In real fights we see in the Ground and Pound being used by everyone.
Have a greater tendency to use a Ground and Pound violent and other less violent, but hit more shots.
It would be interesting Damage / Accuracy on ground fighting and clinch.
Ground strikes/Clinch strikes Damage:
Qualities:
More chances of getting a KO / Tko
More chances of getting a cut
Impresses the judges by the forcefulness
Defects:
Spends more energy to their fighter
It's harder to hit the target
Makes you more vulnerable to an attempted termination or sweep
---------------------------------------------------------------
Ground strikes / Clinch strikes accuracy:
Qualities:
It's very easy to get hit the target
Maintains greater control in position
Almost does not tire your fighter
Defects:
Difficult to get a KO / Tko
Difficult to get a cut

I would love to see a Damage vs Accuracy Slider for the ground game and also for the Clinch Game. I think this could help by making the ground sliders more diverse.

Besides being diverse, could value the Grappling (Clinch and Ground).
Much is said that only the Strikers can be at a high level in the rankings.
But with this change, I think it will be more valued yes.

• 4 months later...

Don't think I commented on this when it first appeared but I really like DeadlyDirk's suggestion

I agree that a damage vs accuracy slider would be good for ground and pound. Low accuracy would be good for maintaining positon and keeping the fight grounded, limiting the chance of standups and reversals, where as high damage would mean greater chance of finishing on the ground while at the same time missing a lot and allowing the chance of reversals, sweeps etc.