Me and my friend sparring freestyle striking.

seanfu

in the video i got the impression you were a little cocky on defense, like you could just sit there and not get hit. but you were not slipping the punches with lateral or head movement. you just went back a bit. im sure the video does not depict exactly how you fight, but if it does i would definitely work on moving back at an angle more.

thats pretty cool that you can do that in ur backyard. im jealous :)

you dont look like your using your hips much when kicking, but probably just taking it easy on your friend so nobody gets hurt.

yeah, you dont look all that bad. come up onto your toes when you kick. dont spar in mma gloves, get at least 16oz's and a gum shield. keep your guard high and learn proper low kick blocks and how to parry punches better. i could go on forever about your mate though, he truly sucks

16oz gloves to spar in MMA?

We use the 9oz saftey gloves that have the padding like 16oz gloves and then ALWAYS wear headgear

Also I say this in the nicest way but get a better sparring partner. You can tell he doesn't know much always switching his stance and just throwing.

You are only going to be as good as who you train with

yeah, you dont look all that bad. come up onto your toes when you kick. dont spar in mma gloves, get at least 16oz's and a gum shield. keep your guard high and learn proper low kick blocks and how to parry punches better. i could go on forever about your mate though, he truly sucks

The shooto style gloves have same ratio of padding as boxing gloves and are about 7-8 oz. I reccomend those. Sparring with 4 oz gloves is stupid, the point of sparring is not to hurt each other. Also, if you don't know anything about difference between types of boxing gloves dont get them until you do the neccesary research. There is a big difference between gloves for sparring and heavy bag gloves.

ALWAYS wear headgear

agreed, but dont get something with to much padding (unless you are protecting an injury) or you will not be able to handle it when someone really hits you.

The shooto style gloves have same ratio of padding as boxing gloves and are about 7-8 oz. I reccomend those. Sparring with 4 oz gloves is stupid, the point of sparring is not to hurt each other. Also, if you don't know anything about difference between types of boxing gloves dont get them until you do the neccesary research. There is a big difference between gloves for sparring and heavy bag gloves.

agreed, but dont get something with to much padding (unless you are protecting an injury) or you will not be able to handle it when someone really hits you.

I don't

I went to the gym reaaaal stoned one day and my they must of known I was but I was sparring without headgear and crafton faked an inside leg kick and just cracked me right in the right side of my face with a kick but he hit me with his foot. I was too high to notice he took his shinsgaurds off, or he mighta not had them on to begin with lol idk but the way it connected must of been the top of his foot and side of my face lol I remember I couldn't hear for a minute cuz my right ear was ringing so bad.

i dunno if anyone else actually watched the videos, but they wernt sparring mma? therefore i stick by the 16s comment. i sell boxing and mma gloves for a living and even though the companies say the 8oz sparring gloves are the equivalent of a 12 in most cases, to be honest its a load of bollocks. theres no structure around the padding so it gives way much more easily. i could go on, but i wont

i dunno if anyone else actually watched the videos, but they wernt sparring mma? therefore i stick by the 16s comment. i sell boxing and mma gloves for a living and even though the companies say the 8oz sparring gloves are the equivalent of a 12 in most cases, to be honest its a load of bollocks. theres no structure around the padding so it gives way much more easily. i could go on, but i wont

well anything is better than 4oz gloves in my opinion. You are right about most companies "mma safety gloves" being bollocks, but I have used some good ones and even the ones that werent close to boxing gloves were better than 4oz ones. Really anything extra is better than sparring in an unsupervised environment with 4oz gloves and no head gear.

What company do you work for, if you dont mind me asking?

whenever we spar at my club (i go to two but only one is professional) we use shin guards and 10 oz boxing gloves but im hoping to get some 8 oz gloves because u can take you own stuff if you have it

i also agree the sparring gloves are better than 4oz. also wog, sorry if i sounded a bit harsh, i didnt mean to.

i work for www.fightshop.com (just a response to the question, not trying to advertise!)

Not at all man!

I am gonna have to check out fightshop.com

There's absolutely no reason to not use headgear and proper gloves under those conditions. I'm not going to put my .02 in on technique except to say I did appreciate the consistency and following the intensity agreement.( i only saw the 2nd video) I've known and trained with Pat Barry long before he went to K-1 and on to a professional career, we trained at the same gym for years. Although he could beat the piss out of me standing I always knew he had control if I accidentally broke the intensity agreement (and got lucky lol). I always preferred to spar with someone much better than me for a multitude of reasons. (If I knew and trusted them of course.)

Super cool guy and I always begged him to grapple with us but he just had no interest in it. Sucks, because if he started back then he would be a killer now and wouldn't be playing catch up.

someone should upload some ground work videos me and my mates will just wrestle and go for submissions sometimes because i have better throws than one of my friends but his jiu-jitsu is above mine so its good sometimes

• 1 month later...

Im a pro fighter and i tend to spar with 8oz boxing gloves. I feel like i can hit harder with those then the safety mma glove. Also feel safety glove have more padding on top of the hand and dont help as much....also have seen several people break there hands with them on.

8oz fairtex gloves baby.

Also watchd the vid, one guy stand up to straight, other guy has sloppy tech. And when u throw body shots change ur whole body level. Throwing to the body standing straight up gets you KO'D. That is most noobs problem, they tend to throw a 2 to the body while standing straight up and not throw mutliple shots.!

You guys dont hit hard or I dont know... :-D Boys in my gym spar in 18 OZ gloves and still they manage to break nose or a rib here and there. I cant imagine what would happen if they sparred in MMA gloves... Its also good to spar and train in 18 OZ gloves, once they take them off and give you 10 OZ boxing or 4 OZ MMA gloves, your hands just FLY !!!!

We never wear head gear, Ive read some article saying that it blocks your peripheral vision by 45 per cent, yet it does not effect shocks to your brain at all... Also once you hit the ground it is hard to have any kind of orientation with head gear....

Sparring with 18oz gloves is dumb if you fight mma. It give you a false sense of safety, I use to spar with 16oz. You get use to blocking with big boxing glove, try to spar with 12oz and below. If i had 18oz boxing gloves nobody would ever hit me in the face. I could block all day with those bad boys, 4oz gloves are totally different when it comes to blocking a distance.

Sparring with 18oz gloves is dumb if you fight mma. It give you a false sense of safety, I use to spar with 16oz. You get use to blocking with big boxing glove, try to spar with 12oz and below. If i had 18oz boxing gloves nobody would ever hit me in the face. I could block all day with those bad boys, 4oz gloves are totally different when it comes to blocking a distance.

I meant hard sparring... When you learn how to block punches, you use 4 OZ gloves for obvious reasons....

You guys dont hit hard or I dont know... :-D Boys in my gym spar in 18 OZ gloves and still they manage to break nose or a rib here and there. I cant imagine what would happen if they sparred in MMA gloves... Its also good to spar and train in 18 OZ gloves, once they take them off and give you 10 OZ boxing or 4 OZ MMA gloves, your hands just FLY !!!!

We never wear head gear, Ive read some article saying that it blocks your peripheral vision by 45 per cent, yet it does not effect shocks to your brain at all... Also once you hit the ground it is hard to have any kind of orientation with head gear....

can you link me to that article?

18 is a bit much most pro boxers and mma fighters in usa, mexico, and thailand have the standard 16oz when sparring. 14 is also usually acceptable but 16 is what every top boxing gym i've been to uses.

The headgear might take some of your peripheral vision away but 45 percent is a ridiculous number. Plus if any of you where actually fighting professionally, you would use headgear because you wouldn't want to get a cut 2-3 weeks before your fight. That's the main reason all pro's use headgear when sparring hard, at least the top ones.

Yep there would be gashes and broken bones everywhere if decent boxers sparred with mma gloves at anything above 50 percent.