Poaching: Is this cool?

rjs2442

Backin the day when I ran an org I used to hate people poaching my talent. I still don't like the idea but it is what it is. Its going to happen regardless so I learned to deal with it. If you treat your people right, theres no reason for them to leave. If someone got poached from your org obviously you weren't doing enough to keep them.

Backin the day when I ran an org I used to hate people poaching my talent. I still don't like the idea but it is what it is. Its going to happen regardless so I learned to deal with it. If you treat your people right, theres no reason for them to leave. If someone got poached from your org obviously you weren't doing enough to keep them.

Except those times where a struggling new org builds up home grown talent that may not be on the level of the top guy but has the hype they would love to get their hands on. That new org isn't doing PPV's yet, and the top orgs are handing out million dollar signing bonuses. If it was Ascension and Empire poaching each other it would at least be a level playing field, but what if one of them poached a newer org?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lol, apparently someone disagrees. I don't care about negs, but I would prefer if someone defended their views openly when they did. I wasn't accusing those orgs of anything but using them as examples. Vadim Vadokowich is a highly ranked fighter who happens to be in Tokyo Rage Fight Club® which is not ranked high enough to do successful PPV's yet. They did a good job getting him under contract likely offering a high signing bonus for what their org can afford. Do you honestly thing that if Ascension wanted to poach him ( which they didn't ) the offer would be anything near what Tokyo Rage could afford? Luckily Ascension is not into poaching, but it would be devastating to lower ranked orgs. I am against poaching, because when I do business with someone I expect they are someone I can trust to do business with. Why would I allow a fighter to do a super fight in an org that is known to try and steal my fighters? I will never sign my fighters to an org that contacts me while I am under contract with a different org. The exception being naturally if the org I am in is scheduled to close in the next couple weeks like when CFC closed.

• Upvote 2

I still very much consider myself new to MMA Tycoon. That said, my feeling on the matter is that this whole game is designed to have simulation, and to an extent, role playing elements to it. If what we are simulating is real life, then it absolutely makes sense for big orgs to go after successful fighters in smaller orgs - that's how it happens in the real world, and from the manager/fighter side, that is how success is defined.

Now, if people are exploiting the rules and loopholes of the game (not accepting fight offers in order to make a contract invalid), I do not agree with that at all, and think something should be implemented to prevent that - whether it is a penalty built in for contract violation, forcing a fighter to have to remain inactive, or maybe even a simlated lawsuit (think of what almost happened with Eddie Alvarez and Bellator, even though Alvarez fulfilled his deal and was getting the shaft).

At any rate, let's not forget that orgs with fighters under existing contracts can offer to re-up before the existing contract is over, which is the practice in UFC today. If you want to keep a fighter, offer a better contract before he's an FA - if you can't offer enough, then, well, that's life.

Just two cents from a n00b who is still learning though.

• Upvote 1

Thank you to everyone who responded, I honestly had no idea I would receive so many replies and even more so the many who have stated they support such activities. Anyways it was merely a curiosity question from a now outsider looking in. I agree with everyone's perspective and even though I strongly believe in old school ways in which poaching is frowned upon, I can totally see reasoning based on opinions expressed where it could be a slightly more accepted practice in today's world of MMA Tycoon.

I guess my fighters must not be very good, or I am a bad manager but I have not had that happen much. I figure any ORG that would try to steal another ORGS fighters when they are on contract will deserve any fighter they can manage to get. It is kind of like the old saying if she will cheat with you she will cheat on you. If you are on contract you fight for that ORG till it is done, you should be off limits and should not be approached by others. Now once you are done it is far game.

Good morning everyone, just throwing this out there as I wanted to get the opinion of the community. In today's MMA Tycoon, is poaching still frowned upon as a dirtbag move or have times changed making it less unclassy and more tolerated then it was in the past? Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Not very classy thats for sure.

• 11 months later...

Based on what I just read in another thread, I would like to request that the "big time orgs" stop poaching. You know who you are and yes, I know you've done it to guys in my org. Wait until guys are unsigned before approaching them.

This thread seems like a more logical place to discuss the topic than the NYFN Org Thread anyways, which should be reserved for Org business and smack talk.

• Upvote 2

Based on what I just read in another thread, I would like to request that the "big time orgs" stop poaching. You know who you are and yes, I know you've done it to guys in my org. Wait until guys are unsigned before approaching them.

This thread seems like a more logical place to discuss the topic than the NYFN Org Thread anyways, which should be reserved for Org business and smack talk.

This. If as an org owner or someone who signs people see a fighter you want, wait until their contract is up

• Upvote 1

I agree fully on stop poaching and that this is a better place to discuss. I was not aware this thread even excisted otherwise I would have come here to begin with.

• Downvote 1

Your a fighters manger happening in real life. It's happend to me were ov had a fighter leave for more money.

If your treat your mangers good and give fair enough contracts then hopefully they would stay. I'm not ashamed to say iv tried to bring fighters into my org that I know we're contracted. But would be past champions or HOF.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Poaching? Stop moaning. Keep your fighters happy and they wont want to leave.

UFC approaches fighters all the time and why shouldn't they? They want to sign the best fighters in the world and I'm sure the likes of EVO, Ascension and Syn are the exact same.

I personally think it shows ambition if a member of staff contacts me about signing one of my fighters for their org, it's also a complement to myself and my fighter that he's attracting attention.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

UFC approaches fighters all the time and why shouldn't they? They want to sign the best fighters in the world and I'm sure the likes of EVO, Ascension and Syn are the exact same.

I personally think it shows ambition if a member of staff contacts me about signing one of my fighters for their org, it's also a complement to myself and my fighter that he's attracting attention.

The only problem with that is most of the time the current org owners have no idea what is going on and deals are being agreed upon without giving the current org a chance to make an offer.

That being said, the only time I feel it is ok to "poach" is if the current org a fighter is in has gone inactive.

There is discussion, then there is poaching.

Discussion - "We love your boy and would love to sign him, how many fights do you have left and how much will it take to get you to come over when your current contract expires?".

Poaching - "I'll give you this much $$ to come to my org, just email your current boss and ask for a release and we can get started".

The first is business, the second is a cbomb.

• Upvote 5

I dont poach and didnt at BEEF when it was actually possible, but what marky said is originally what came to mind... Then i thought...

As a org manager randomly getting a message saying "can i be released out of my contract? Il repay the SB" i have usually let the fighter leave without paying out of just being nice, but if this was done because of poaching i'd be pissed. For that i say its not right. Most orgs dont allow fighters to get out of their contract before sending a renegotiate contract like i do also.

• Upvote 1

K Rad - bravo what you said was spot on.

If people speak to any of Ascension roster I'm. Not bothered. If there not happy with the org they are goin to leave at the end of there contract anyway.

Same goes for if your guy loses a few he's goin to try a diffrent org.

What amazes me is everybody at least 1 stage of playing this game has spoken to a fighter under contract.

If you offer loads of cash or of you say you d love him to sign how many fights you have left I don't see the diffrence.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There is discussion, then there is poaching.

Discussion - "We love your boy and would love to sign him, how many fights do you have left and how much will it take to get you to come over when your current contract expires?".

Poaching - "I'll give you this much $$ to come to my org, just email your current boss and ask for a release and we can get started".

The first is business, the second is a cbomb.

This is generally my view as well.

I don't think it hurts to make the casual enquiry here and there, even perhaps throwing out the odd numbers and asking how many fights they have left. Managers, especially rookie ones, deserve to have an idea of how much their fighter is worth in case they get tied into a long contract with a bad org.

However, I don't think orgs should actively chase fighters who are under contract and pressure them to leave their current org's early. That's a pretty dirty move in my opinion.

It's one thing letting a fighter know he has options at the end of his current contract, forcing an early move is crossing the line I feel.

• Upvote 1