Hector Lombard, Lawler.

jacky67

Does Joe Roegan hate Hector Lombard in his commentary ? We have seen in Lombard vs Shields fight , a dominating Lombard on the feet knock down shields several times, dominating on the takedown aspect with several judo throw, on the ground he never lost top position vs supposed elite grappler. During the whole fight Rogan criticize Lombard for his lack of agressiveness but isn't the same thing he proud Machida. Machida the "karate guy" who is never hit by his opponents but hit them twice in the round and win the round on score card. Did Lombard not the same thing that Machida would have done in a better way as he probably wasn't even hit once by Shields.

On the other side we have seen the most stupid game plan from Lawler and I think it cost him the fight, especially in the round 2 where he just stand in front of Hendricks without countering anything and basically gave him the round, still Rogan has nothing to say about it.

And what's next for Lombard does he has what it takes to beat Hendricks ?

I agree. Rogan's commentary was a bit annoying for that fight. I thought Lombard performed in a flawless fight with the exception of diving into a guillotine right before the bell. I'm betting on Lombard winning the title unless the prolong it with a Woodley fight but imo should get shot before Woodley considering they're both on 2 fight win steaks and Lombard KO'd the guy who KO'd Woodley, and decisively beat and tossed around the dude who beat him in a split decision - most thought Woodley won vs Shields, but Shields wasn't even close to Lombard's level tonight. I don't think Hendricks stands a chance vs him, he looked great til the last minute of the 3rd.

Nate / Shields > Condit / Kos (taking into consideration the way Condit went down)

I seriously think Lawler was doing his best version of the rope-a-dope, hoping Hendricks was going to swing for the fences and gas, but he did a good job not wingin punches. I think Lawler gassed in the 5th defending the takedown.

He does have a job to do. I feel like ever since fox told him to tone it down his commentary quality has decreased.

Exactly, it's his job to hype up fights.

Rogan is full of shit sometimes.

Sometimes? That was DUMB, just here on tycoon if your blue belt suddenly went 100% aggro and strikes against a red belt on the ground you would be pissed and assume his iq is 12 or yours is. Lombard did what he was supposed to do on the ground against shields... avoid subs but it takes almost no time to realize Rogan is biased or on an UFC moneymaking order

Here you go bitches:

Quote JOE ROGAN....

Instead of posting in the many post UFC threads that people make complaining about me after an event I thought it might serve the spirit of discussion better if I start my own.

The main complaint I've heard about last night was that I didn't give Lombard enough credit. I LOVE that dude. He's scary as fuck, and when he's blitzkrieging you he's one of the most frightening motherfuckers on earth. That said, I think he only did enough to win on a night where he should have been trying to sell himself as a guy we want to see challenge for the title. He was clearly winning the fight, but his own corner was screaming at him to fight during the last round. Winning is certainly the most important thing for a fighter, and he certainly did that. No one has ever handled Jake the way Hector did. His judo was a thing of beauty. I just think he coasted too much in an important showcase fight.

Picking Rory over the other contenders to challenge for the title next was another complaint. The production had a list of fighters that are listed in the top contenders that they wanted me to pick one guy to challenge the title after the end of the event. It's only my opinion and it certainly doesn't mean that fighter will get the next shot. The reason I went with Rory is what I stated: I thought Woodley looked awesome, but the reality is Carlos blew his knee out on the take down and then it gave out when Tyron kicked him. Tyron was really impressive in the opening of the 1st with his insane speed and ability to close the distance and I would LOVE to see him fight anyone. For the title or not. The guy is a stud. It was just my opinion given the information in front of me after that event that if I had to choose one guy I would have to go wih Rory.

No one asked me to choose Rory, no one pressured me in any way or influenced me in any way. It's just my opinion. I would love to see Dong Hyun Kim in the mix as well. They didn't have him on the short list of guys, but I would like to see him fight any of the people I just mentioned, for the title or not. Matt Brown is another guy in the mix. He hurt his back recently, but I'm hoping he can heal up and get back in the running.

Anyway, I want to say I always appreciate the feedback from you guys because you motherfuckers are the real hard core fans and I'm one of you. I value your opinion as a whole very much. We might not all agree on certain things but I think that the one thing we all have in common here for the most part is that we're all hard core MMA fans and I feel it is a great honor to have the privelige of repersenting us. The feedback from fans and especially the feedback from this forum in particular has made me a much better commentator, and positive or negative I appreciate it very much.

Also an interesting little tidbit, someone said I seemed "off" at the weigh ins, and there's kind of a funny story to that. There was some sort of an audio glitch and for the first half of the weigh ins there was the spanish broadcast blaring in my ear and the production truck couldn't talk to me. No one could figure out what was going on either. It's weird enough to try to talk when people speaking your own language are talking in your ear, but it's extra fucked to try to talk when you're hearing Spanish and you're speaking English. So if I looked confused, that's what was up :)

• Upvote 3

Yep, woodley's win is not luck. Woodley is a strong man, and he took condit down twice before the injury. But definitely, it's unsatisfying.

I didn't feel Condit's striking that fight. He's not the same guy that fought for the title before. His kicks are not hitting the mark early in the fight, and he's punches don't have the power to hurt woodley. But anyway, I love watching Condit, and hope that he recover fast and get back to his old form.

The worst part of the UFC, in my opinion, is how they are so committed to trying to have some sort of backstory/narrative to the top levels of the organization. It's like they don't trust their product enough to just let the best fighters fight and have that be enough to keep the fan base engaged. That's why we end up with the ridiculous notions of "don't let the fight be decided by the judges" and "he needed to make a statement beyond just a win to get a title shot".

As a long time fan of the sport, I recognized the incredible skill and physical ability it took Lombard to dominate a great fighter like Shields so thoroughly. Throughout the fight, Rogan criticizing Lombard for fighting a very smart fight was rather pathetic. Almost a new low in his career as a pbp guy. Winning at the top level should be enough. Dominating at the top level is a whole different story. It seemed that because Lombard's performance didn't fit in the toughman competition style fights the UFC prefers and rewards, Rogan was hellbent on trying to downplay it. It's stuff like this where the UFC trends more to the pro-wrestling sports entertainment/personality driven formula that turns off some of the fan base.

• Downvote 1

Yep, woodley's win is not luck. Woodley is a strong man, and he took condit down twice before the injury. But definitely, it's unsatisfying.

I didn't feel Condit's striking that fight. He's not the same guy that fought for the title before. His kicks are not hitting the mark early in the fight, and he's punches don't have the power to hurt woodley. But anyway, I love watching Condit, and hope that he recover fast and get back to his old form.

Well yeah I agree, woodley is a strong man there's no point of denying that but its just wasn't a convincing win, it was like the rematch between silva and wiedman if it weren't for that injury silva could have won, I mean it was pretty obvious that silva was focused.

Well yeah I agree, woodley is a strong man there's no point of denying that but its just wasn't a convincing win, it was like the rematch between silva and wiedman if it weren't for that injury silva could have won, I mean it was pretty obvious that silva was focused.

Yeah, but.. These fighters are not immune to injuries, those things happen in any sport. so.. We can' do anything about it, just accept it, and hope for their fast recovery :)

As a long time fan of the sport, I recognized the incredible skill and physical ability it took Lombard to dominate a great fighter like Shields so thoroughly. Throughout the fight, Rogan criticizing Lombard for fighting a very smart fight was rather pathetic. Almost a new low in his career as a pbp guy. Winning at the top level should be enough. Dominating at the top level is a whole different story. It seemed that because Lombard's performance didn't fit in the toughman competition style fights the UFC prefers and rewards, Rogan was hellbent on trying to downplay it. It's stuff like this where the UFC trends more to the pro-wrestling sports entertainment/personality driven formula that turns off some of the fan base.

If it was GSP doing what Lombard was doing it would be nothing but praise I'm sure. I thought it was funny (not in a ha ha way) when Rogan said something at the end of the fight like Hector not impressing anyone enough to want to see him in a title fight or something to that extent.

Silva got put to sleep for a moment when Chris ko'd him in the clinch in the first round. It was a flash ko but he's lucky and then because Chris trained for Anderson's leg kicks his technique backfired. It was a convincing win in my opinion. I feel the same about Woodley honestly. We can agree to disagree if they were convincing wins though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Silva got put to sleep for a moment when Chris ko'd him in the clinch in the first round. It was a flash ko but he's lucky and then because Chris trained for Anderson's leg kicks his technique backfired. It was a convincing win in my opinion. I feel the same about Woodley honestly. We can agree to disagree if they were convincing wins though.

I agree weidman and woodley prepared well for their fights. Chris is well prepared for Silva's thunderous kicks and he even knocked silva on the first round which is the flash ko you were talking about. But just the disappointing part of injury victories is, what could've happen in the next round or 2 before the injury. But, hands down for weidman and woodley, they're 2 great fighters. And so is condit and silva :)

I think silva will fight again, he's hitting the gym now, and I saw a friend of mine on FB that he'll still fight.

I disagree with the notion that it was luck, he stuffed a takedown and kicked him there solid. Its a fight, injuries and cuts happen

yeah, he got the TD (and thats where the leg actually got hurt) but he kicked him in the OTHER leg. look at the way Condit turned when he backed away...Condit's planted leg was already hurt and gave out at that point.:

http://i0.wp.com/www.totalsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/cc_knee.gif

• Upvote 2

yeah, he got the TD (and thats where the leg actually got hurt) but he kicked him in the OTHER leg. look at the way Condit turned when he backed away...Condit's planted leg was already hurt and gave out at that point.:

http://i0.wp.com/www.totalsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/cc_knee.gif

Looked to me like his back leg went at a nasty angle when the kick spun him around.