MMA Tycoon Radio Podcast Episode 1

Been out since the podcast had been released so haven't really had a chance to make a proper statement on the podcast as I've been on my phone when looking at this topic. Overall, I'm proud to have brought back something similar to MMA Tycoon Radio. I remember listening to Tycoon Radio 2.0 and enjoying them and always hoped that one day they would return. After posting in an old Tycoon Radio thread, a lot of people became interested in seeing Tycoon Radio returning or something similar in the form of a podcast, I took it upon myself to try and bring it back.

I've had no prior experience of doing a radio show / podcast before and so I was a bit scared about trying to get everything organised in cased I ballsed something up (which did happen). It took a lot of thought and preparation to get this to work. I wanted to make sure that this continued for quite some time, so aimed to have a podcast released once a month. Hopefully we will meet this target.

After listening to the guys from the old Tycoon Radio show talk about how they faced problems getting on European guests, I thought it'd be a good idea to have two teams. One American team so that we could get American guests on and one European team so we could get European guests on. This also meant that there'd be less pressure on the host(s) of each team releasing a podcast every month because 1 team would do 1 month and then the other team would do the following month and so on.

I want to say thanks to everyone who has offered to help out in these two teams so far and I want to say an even bigger thank you to all the people that made this first episode possible. Thanks to my guest GBK16, Victusify, TheMould and itakebrides. It was great talking to you all and I hope you enjoyed being on the show. Apologies for going over the time that I said I thought we'd be finished by, but I feel that the final version of the podcast benefited from the change that I made.

I also want to say a big thanks to EzekielRAGE who helped with designing the logo and is helping me with getting a YouTube version of the podcast released. Also a big thanks to smithogenics who did the intro/ outro for us, thought they were great! Finally I want to say a big thanks to Mike Tycoon for helping out with the logo, giving feedback on the podcast and also hosting the podcast for me.

We're currently trying to get the podcast on iTunes, so hopefully it'll be on there in the next couple days if all goes well.

Hopefully, as I get more experience with doing these podcasts, I'll learn from my mistakes and get better at doing it. I hope everyone enjoyed it :)

• Upvote 5

I listened to the first 20 or so mins it is a good first effort for sure. However you need some critisism so you can improve on future episodes. For about 15 mins its basically marky and victusify talking and the other guys didnt say a whole lot. And you lot get off the main topic waaaaay too often, you started talking about andy ogle at one point lasting about 4/5 mins when you were talking about Brooks/Chandler and also started talking about ken shamrock when it was supposed to be about jamie varner. I understand why you were but i think you should of either kept if briefer if you struggled to find things to say or just moved on faster.

As i said this is by no means a derogatory post about it but just some things i feel could be improved upon in the future and great first effort for sure :yes:

• Upvote 2

Great stuff guys. Looking forward to the next one.

I don't wanna seem like an overly critical d-bag but I would probably try to stick to more in game related talk in the future. I get your thinking with regards to trying to attract general real world MMA fans but, as Mannetosen mentioned, I tuned out pretty quickly with the lack of overall MMA knowledge being discussed. I think you might find people doing the same who don't frequent these forums. If you wanted to include a recap of the results of events that could easy enough to breeze through but overall if you don't even know 100% that Shlemenko is the Bellator MW Champ maybe real world MMA shouldn't be included at this length moving forward. Also claiming Ortiz proved you wrong and that he is back with that win made me laugh. A lot.

MMA news/podcasts are a pretty crowded space with numerous options for people to choose from so I'm not sure the current groups backgrounds would make for a show general MMA fans would continually tune in for. However, game discussion could obviously be your goto content.

Just my two cents fellas and who am I? So don't take it to hard.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't wanna seem like an overly critical d-bag but I would probably try to stick to more in game related talk in the future. I get your thinking with regards to trying to attract general real world MMA fans but, as Mannetosen mentioned, I tuned out pretty quickly with the lack of overall MMA knowledge being discussed. I think you might find people doing the same who don't frequent these forums. If you wanted to include a recap of the results of events that could easy enough to breeze through but overall if you don't even know 100% that Shlemenko is the Bellator MW Champ maybe real world MMA shouldn't be included at this length moving forward. Also claiming Ortiz proved you wrong and that he is back with that win made me laugh. A lot.

MMA news/podcasts are a pretty crowded space with numerous options for people to choose from so I'm not sure the current groups backgrounds would make for a show general MMA fans would continually tune in for. However, game discussion could obviously be your goto content.

i tried typing this......but x'd...you put it a lot better...fight fans dont care about ops- way after the fact

now game beef-im down for that

I listened to the first 20 or so mins it is a good first effort for sure. However you need some critisism so you can improve on future episodes. For about 15 mins its basically marky and victusify talking and the other guys didnt say a whole lot. And you lot get off the main topic waaaaay too often, you started talking about andy ogle at one point lasting about 4/5 mins when you were talking about Brooks/Chandler and also started talking about ken shamrock when it was supposed to be about jamie varner. I understand why you were but i think you should of either kept if briefer if you struggled to find things to say or just moved on faster.

As i said this is by no means a derogatory post about it but just some things i feel could be improved upon in the future and great first effort for sure :yes:

It was Bellator which I don't follow which was why I was quiet their, as you go deeper (UFC and MMA Tycoon point scoring ect.) more people come into it more actively. I know I was quiet for first 15mins, as it's better to say nothing than talk absolute bollocks on something you know very little about xD

On the note of the length and how long RL MMA was talked about, I do agree to some extent, while I think it's a good idea to put MMA first, it should've been kept down a bit. Although that's something that in the future you can edit down and cut time.

maybe a shortened podcast and then an extended/full podcast version in the future (sorry editing guys)?

Well...to be honest you didn't hear how much we went off the topics when someone mentioned You-Know-Who :D

Very disappointed this was edited out - by far the best bit of the show and nobody will ever hear it.... :(

I thought myself taking over pronouncing people's names was the best part :(

Charalabous will be disappointed he didn't get the attention he deserved after that haha

I had watched the Rampage vs King Mo and the Ortiz vs Schlemenko fights but didn't see the other one so I was quiet there because, as TheMould said, better to say nothing than to chat bollocks. It is better for people to give their honest opinions about it now so it all can be taken on board to make future podcasts better for the listeners, and who better to do that than the people who weren't involved and will give an unbiased opinion :) So thanks everyone, and I will try not to repeat the word "like" constantly in future

I know I'm not someone who has a great deal of knowledge about MMA, so I wont be able to promise an MMA podcast with a great deal of MMA knowledge though I can promise a podcast where MMA Tycoon players can come on the show, say their opinions on whatever fights that has happened recently and also get involved with discussions regarding MMA Tycoon :)

What exactly do you mean a lack of MMA knowledge being discussed out of interest? Do you want like a proper in depth fight analysis? Like I chose to talk about Bellator 120 and UFC 173, looking back I think I should have just read the results of the "big fights" from Bellator 120 and then just have a couple of comments about each of the big fights perhaps instead of talking about it as long as I did.

I was quite nervous during this first episode and so doubted myself on things I was talking about, like Shlemenko being the MW Bellator champion but I hope over time I'll get better at this as I'll be more confident and so more comfortable doing it.

I do appreciate your feedback because any feedback will help me for doing future episodes of the podcast.

• Upvote 1

The thing is, I doubt trying to get new players interested by first making them slog through 50 minutes of pedestrian MMA analysis isn't gonna work. If I wanna listen to a podcast discussing the fights there are literally thousands of them freely available on the internet.

• Upvote 1

I know I'm not someone who has a great deal of knowledge about MMA, so I wont be able to promise an MMA podcast with a great deal of MMA knowledge though I can promise a podcast where MMA Tycoon players can come on the show, say their opinions on whatever fights that has happened recently and also get involved with discussions regarding MMA Tycoon :)

What exactly do you mean a lack of MMA knowledge being discussed out of interest? Do you want like a proper in depth fight analysis? Like I chose to talk about Bellator 120 and UFC 173, looking back I think I should have just read the results of the "big fights" from Bellator 120 and then just have a couple of comments about each of the big fights perhaps instead of talking about it as long as I did.

I was quite nervous during this first episode and so doubted myself on things I was talking about, like Shlemenko being the MW Bellator champion but I hope over time I'll get better at this as I'll be more confident and so more comfortable doing it.

I do appreciate your feedback because any feedback will help me for doing future episodes of the podcast.

Being nervous is completely understandable, I remember being fairly nervous the first couple times I was on shows myself.

As for the MMA knowledge I just meant it seemed as though the overall well being drawn from was lacking a certain amount of experience and/or confidence that would make listeners want to hear those opinions and breakdowns. People want concise and accurate info from these and some of what was being said was, to be honest, a little whacky. Specifically relating to the weight cutting discussion. I believe someone claimed Shlemenko was a small MW, he is to a degree, and that he should and/or could be fighting at LW. I'm not saying he couldn't potentially make that cut but in that same talk the same person, at least I think it was the same person, was talking about how European fighters don't cut much weight and that it might be due to lack of training on how to do it, or something along those lines. My critique of that would be that to say Euro fighters aren't big weight cutters and then stating Shlemenko should be cutting an additional 30 lbs will make listeners start to question why they're listening to the show.

Again just my opinion.

Being nervous is completely understandable, I remember being fairly nervous the first couple times I was on shows myself.

As for the MMA knowledge I just meant it seemed as though the overall well being drawn from was lacking a certain amount of experience and/or confidence that would make listeners want to hear those opinions and breakdowns. People want concise and accurate info from these and some of what was being said was, to be honest, a little whacky. Specifically relating to the weight cutting discussion. I believe someone claimed Shlemenko was a small MW, he is to a degree, and that he should and/or could be fighting at LW. I'm not saying he couldn't potentially make that cut but in that same talk the same person, at least I think it was the same person, was talking about how European fighters don't cut much weight and that it might be due to lack of training on how to do it, or something along those lines. My critique of that would be that to say Euro fighters aren't big weight cutters and then stating Shlemenko should be cutting an additional 30 lbs will make listeners start to question why they're listening to the show.

Again just my opinion.

Victusify suggested that he should consider dropping to WW, not LW, which I think is a reasonable suggestion when you consider the size of the average fighter in the UFC's WW division. He's definitely not a big enough (size wise) fighter to be a threat at LHW but even still, I thought he'd be fast enough to avoid Tito Ortiz and either KO him or get the decision win at Bellator 120.

He was always going to have a strength disadvantage at LHW when you consider the weight of some of the fighters before they cut weight for LHW fights (both Jon Jones and Anthony "Rumble" Johnson walking around as heavyweights iirc)

Basically what I said is that - Alex is small MW, who cuts almost no weight at all for middleweight fights and that's typical for european fighters, especially eastern europe. Like Nikit Krylov who fought at HW with 220lbs or something around that. As far as weight cut goes - with american type of weight cut camp, he could easily make 155. Edson Barboza cuts to 155 from around 190 and that's what Alex walks around at. I didn't say he SHOULD fight at 155. I just said that he probably COULD make 155 and for sure he could make 170.

Victusify suggested that he should consider dropping to WW, not LW, which I think is a reasonable suggestion when you consider the size of the average fighter in the UFC's WW division. He's definitely not a big enough (size wise) fighter to be a threat at LHW but even still, I thought he'd be fast enough to avoid Tito Ortiz and either KO him or get the decision win at Bellator 120.

He was always going to have a strength disadvantage at LHW when you consider the weight of some of the fighters before they cut weight for LHW fights (both Jon Jones and Anthony "Rumble" Johnson walking around as heavyweights iirc)

I actually expected him to be able to win a decision on the feet but this was merely a one off fight at LHW for him, at least in Bellator, it was just a way to get Tito on the PPV and, they hoped, use his name recognition to get a few more buys. Only issue is they all but torpedoed any steam he had generated by losing to Tito, especially the way he did. That's so Bellator!

As far as the weight cut is concerned he came in at 201.9 for this fight, and it's a fair assumption he did bulk up for it, so the cut to WW is conceivable. I have no idea what he walks around at but if it's in the 190 area he could probably make the cut to LW but there's more factors that would play into it than just his walk around weight. Cowboy strolls around at 192 or so and makes the drop relatively easily. However, having never done it before and the fact he put together a 50-7 record in the division there seems to be little reason for him to make a drop. I mean he has one loss since 2009 and that was to Lombard.

Basically what I said is that - Alex is small MW, who cuts almost no weight at all for middleweight fights and that's typical for european fighters, especially eastern europe. Like Nikit Krylov who fought at HW with 220lbs or something around that. As far as weight cut goes - with american type of weight cut camp, he could easily make 155. Edson Barboza cuts to 155 from around 190 and that's what Alex walks around at. I didn't say he SHOULD fight at 155. I just said that he probably COULD make 155 and for sure he could make 170.

There's more that comes into play with the cut though. Look at Frankie he swore by not cutting much weight and we all witnessed the results. There's an actual argument he should still be the LW Champ and even as a FW he cuts almost nothing. I don't think there's any need to discuss his dropping divisions based on a one off fight in a division we will probably never see him compete in again. Bellator stepped on their dick by booking that fight.

I finally got around to listening to the podcast when I did some yard work today. Here are my observations;

1. Really disappointed in the accents. I hoped for Irish Leprechauns talking to Ivan Drago. I got the beatles talking to a James Bond villian. I guess Irish accents arent what I thought they'd be.

2. The RL mma talk was a little weak. You could tell you guys weren't overly confident speaking about it. Very understandable due to being the first show with guys you never spoke to before.

3. I would say there was too many people on the show, but I'm not sure how many were actually talking through the whole thing. Probably just my ears not being used to the voices and accents. I could tell Chris apart only. Kind of made it hard to follow at times.

4. The tycoon talk was pretty good. I really think you should concentrate more on this. My only critique here was that you guys kind of kept talking towards noobs. I really doubt many noobs will listen or even knew about the podcast. Maybe Mike could do a massmailer with the link to every manager.

5. Sound quality and editing seemed pretty strong. I was surprised it sounded as good as it did.

6. I'd recommend a little more segmentation. Let the other guys know what you are going to talk about beforehand so they can do a little preparation on what they want to say.

All in all, it was a fine first effort. I hope we can get these on a fairly regular basis.

• Upvote 1

I finally got around to listening to the podcast when I did some yard work today. Here are my observations;

1. Really disappointed in the accents. I hoped for Irish Leprechauns talking to Ivan Drago. I got the beatles talking to a James Bond villian. I guess Irish accents arent what I thought they'd be.

2. The RL mma talk was a little weak. You could tell you guys weren't overly confident speaking about it. Very understandable due to being the first show with guys you never spoke to before.

3. I would say there was too many people on the show, but I'm not sure how many were actually talking through the whole thing. Probably just my ears not being used to the voices and accents. I could tell Chris apart only. Kind of made it hard to follow at times.

4. The tycoon talk was pretty good. I really think you should concentrate more on this. My only critique here was that you guys kind of kept talking towards noobs. I really doubt many noobs will listen or even knew about the podcast. Maybe Mike could do a massmailer with the link to every manager.

5. Sound quality and editing seemed pretty strong. I was surprised it sounded as good as it did.

6. I'd recommend a little more segmentation. Let the other guys know what you are going to talk about beforehand so they can do a little preparation on what they want to say.

All in all, it was a fine first effort. I hope we can get these on a fairly regular basis.

There was 1 Irish guy who had to leave early cos his battery was dying, Mark is from Northern Ireland. I am actually English, Mould is English, Victusify is Polish so that explains the lack of Irish accents haha

He actually did tell us what we were going to talk about but I had little time to prepare cos of RL stuff that day